First algae-derived diesel hits the pumps...

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Solazyme, Inc. (NASDAQ: SZYM), a renewable oil and bioproducts company, announced today that it has been granted registration for SoladieselRD fuel by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This registration enables SoladieselRD to be sold commercially either in blended and unblended (R100) forms.

"To our knowledge, SoladieselRD is the first 100% microbially based fuel in history to receive an EPA fuel registration for use as a “neat” or unblended product,” said Bob Ames, VP Fuels Commercialization, Solazyme. “Our Soladiesel® and Solajet™ fuels have been extensively demonstrated in a wide array of platforms from cars, light trucks and buses, to commercial and military jets, helicopters, large commercial shipping vessels and Navy destroyers. These higher performing advanced biofuels will lead the path forward to reducing emissions and increasing energy independence. This registration is another key milestone in Solazyme’s mission to commercialize drop-in replacement fuels as we continue to build out our renewable oil production capacity.”

In tests conducted for the EPA registration, SoladieselRD met or exceeded the ASTM D975 specification for conventional diesel fuel. SoladieselRD performed substantially similar to petroleum diesel and even reduced NOx emissions by approximately 10% when tested in modern diesel engines. In a measurement of the combustion quality, SoladieselRD exhibited a Cetane Number greater than 78, which is more than 60 percent better than standard U.S. diesel fuel, indicating SoladieselRD is a high quality fuel.

SoladieselRD is the first algal-derived fuel to be successfully road-tested in blended and unblended (R100) forms for thousands of miles in unmodified vehicles. SoladieselRD is compatible with existing infrastructure and can be used with factory-standard diesel engines without modifications. Solazyme has been involved in a multitude of testing and evaluation partnerships involving our fuels, which range from an integrated testing and certification program with the U.S. Navy, to fuel evaluation programs with Volkswagen and Genentech and commercial use by United Airlines as part of its Eco-Skies program.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Receives-Fuel-Registration-EPA-Soladiesel®RD

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Exciting news! thanks for the link.
Would love to see this expand to bring down cost and increase availability.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Wow, cetane rating > 78, that is pretty high compared to regular diesel. I wonder if there is such a thing as having too high of a cetane rating where a diesel would "ping" like in a gas engine?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Does this mean it would work in the CR engines in the new cars? It doesn't mention specificly how well it acts like petrodiesel. They did include "performed substantially similar", but that's rather vague.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Wow, cetane rating > 78, that is pretty high compared to regular diesel. I wonder if there is such a thing as having too high of a cetane rating where a diesel would "ping" like in a gas engine?
AFAIK, there is no such thing as "too high cetane". The ECU can always just adjust injection timing window to achieve desired/suitable Start-of-Combustion time. But then again, anything over CN 60 is "wasted". The gain in combustion quality from CN 40--> CN 50 is maybe 10X what you get from going from CN 50 --> CN 60. In other words, a diminishing returns (logarithmic or asymptotic) curve is in play.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, but the "ping" or "knock" in a gas engine is from pre-ignition... the fuel is burning from compression and residual heat prior to sparking... which is how a diesel engine works. I can't see it causing something like that.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Does this mean it would work in the CR engines in the new cars? It doesn't mention specificly how well it acts like petrodiesel. They did include "performed substantially similar", but that's rather vague.
Apparently, "Soladiesel" is hydrotreated algal oil ("renewable diesel"). Hydrotreated vegetable oil produces a diesel-range hydrocarbon, unlike "biodiesel" which is a methyl ester (even though both are biomass-based fuel). Note that it said it meets or exceeds ASTM D975, which is the standard that must be met for D2 diesel fuel. FAME biodiesel has another ASTM standard which I don't recall off-hand.

As such, "renewable diesel" can be used in any diesel engine at any concentration, up to and including 100%.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Thanks wxman, you always have the complete answer! :D

Now if the idiots (I'm sorry, commenters) over at Autoblog would listen to you more closely...:p

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Very interested in this. Pittsboro ins't event that far from me. Once we good word that it's safe to run in the CR cars, I'll have to try some.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Very interested in this. Pittsboro ins't event that far from me. Once we good word that it's safe to run in the CR cars, I'll have to try some.
the last time I talked to one of the fuel guys @ piedmont (several weeks ago) they had only run small batches but were working on all the plumbing, pumps etc. for scaling to full production....piedmont biofuels plant is an interesting place, they have tours every sunday and a huge solar farm!!....can't remember the exact numbers but something like 80kw of solar panels....

Last edited:

jimtuul

TDI
2006 duramax, 2004 Golf
Apparently, "Soladiesel" is hydrotreated algal oil ("renewable diesel"). Hydrotreated vegetable oil produces a diesel-range hydrocarbon, unlike "biodiesel" which is a methyl ester (even though both are biomass-based fuel). Note that it said it meets or exceeds ASTM D975, which is the standard that must be met for D2 diesel fuel. FAME biodiesel has another ASTM standard which I don't recall off-hand.

As such, "renewable diesel" can be used in any diesel engine at any concentration, up to and including 100%.
The oils that they are getting out of the algae are a hydrocarbon base oil. It lacks the oxygen atom for transesterification. By the time they hydrocrack or cat crack the oil it is petrol diesel.

Run a google search on botryococcus braunii. This is one of the types of algae that created the large oil deposits we are pumping out of the ground everyday. I haven't figured out exactly what solazyme is using for a algae strain, but I think it is along the lines of a genetically engineered Bb.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
I do think this is great news, but how did this thread go this far without the $64,000 question: who will let you burn this stuff and not void your warranty? VW? I don't think so.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do think this is great news, but how did this thread go this far without the $64,000 question: who will let you burn this stuff and not void your warranty? VW? I don't think so.
wxman already explained that :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had the same thought, but I guess if it is the same as diesel, then how would VW know? Putting this fuel in a styrofoam cup will not tell them that it has a higher cetane.

jimtuul

TDI
2006 duramax, 2004 Golf

I am at work and don't have time to look up a link. VW is partnered with solazyme right now working on their technology. If they have a vested interest in this technology, I am sure they will support the use of it in their product. If you do some research on Solazyme, they have some big name partners and investors. Plus from what I understand the fuel far exceeds all standards.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
If it meets the specs for regular diesel (and according to their info it does), how could VW justify voiding a warranty for burning one type of fuel that meets the diesel fuel specs, but not another, based on source? That would be like voiding the warranty for burning diesel made from Oklahoman crude, but not for diesel made from Saudi Arabian crude (or vice versa).

Also, I'm driving a 2001 Jetta with almost 290,000 miles on it, so I could give a **** about what voids the warranty. Which is to say, not everyone has the same set of criteria when considering fuel choices.

Of course, this is purely baseless speculation unless and until VW actually takes a position on this fuel, so we can guess and wool-gather 'til the cows come home if we feel like it, with no harm done. :)

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
This is great news! I wish they were taking over the Chevron Plant that is burning down wind of me right now. I'd much rather be near an algae farm than this:

Don't worry about getting a green light to run HVO in your car. Just do it. It's better fuel.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I know Wxman said it meets the ASTM D2 standard. I know it would require logical gymnastics for VW to say Soladiesel is not acceptable. I know it is very likely to be a better fuel both in terms of quality and ethical attributes. I am a little dubious about VW's 'partnering' as such relationships are usually 10 parts PR to 1 part technology, but let's say its on the level, too. I have no doubt the cars will perform brilliantly with this fuel. But...

None of this adds up to an unequivocal public statement from VW that they will not refuse responsibility for warranty work based on one's use of Soladiesel. Remember the folks that make that decision are the same ones that refuse to admit there is a warrantable problem with the HPFP in the newer TDI's or the balance shaft module (that used to be) in my BHW. All it takes is something as trivial as Soladiesel leading to the ECM throwing a code for a non-threatening situation (like an unexpected temperature during the regen cycle on the particle filter) to start an uptick in warranty cost motivating VW management to indulge in another episode of self-serving self-delusion.

I am not trying to be a troll about this - I run B99 almost all year in New England and go out of my way to do it. Nothing would please me more than a breakthrough to commercially viable (and technically superior) algal fuels. But we are well-advised to remember who we are dealing with. I believe it will be a struggle - a worthwhile one, but a struggle nonetheless.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SoladieselRD® (Renewable #2 Diesel) is ASTM D975 compliant. VW's require their fuel to meet this spec. That's really all there is to it.

Here's a bit more on the partnership:
Fueling the future: New partnerships to promote renewable fuels

It’s no secret that we love driving. You’ll note, however, that we didn’t say, “We love stopping to refuel.” We’re always looking for ways to go longer between fill-ups to maximize your driving enjoyment and our TDI® Clean Diesel technology helps you do just that, but we know that even something as groundbreaking as TDI can be improved upon. Since three heads are better than one, Volkswagen has partnered with Amyris and Solazyme, two of the world’s leaders in renewable fuels. We’ll work with them to evaluate emissions reductions and demonstrate how well TDI technology can perform when powered by advanced biodiesel and renewable diesel fuel.

Both companies share the same outlook that drives our Think Blue philosophy, Volkswagen’s holistic approach to environmental sustainability. Amyris converts plant-sourced sugars into renewable hydrocarbons for fuel applications, while Solazyme’s technology harnesses the oil-producing ability of microalgae to develop renewable oil products. Volkswagen will provide each company with two vehicles: a 2012 Jetta TDI and a 2012 Passat TDI. Over the next 12 months, both companies will examine the effects that the fuels they produce have on Volkswagen clean diesel technology and the environment. After a year of research, they’ll be able to provide our engineers with valuable data to help us develop even more efficient, cleaner-burning diesel powertrains for future vehicles.
link

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
D2 from dino sources is a really complicated soup of compounds. D2 from an algal source is likely to be a much simpler blend and much easier to control. I doubt there will be any major issue with this algal source.

This is one of those technologies that should get the focus we gave the moonshots.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
D2 from dino sources is a really complicated soup of compounds. D2 from a bio source is likely to be a much simpler blend and much easier to control. I doubt there will be any major issue with this algal source.

This is one of those technologies that should get the focus we gave the moonshots.
Actually, the D2 from biosource seems to be a much bigger bag of mixed chemistries than from crude. Crude is refined, cracker, and then hydortreated to remove the sulphur. All of this results in a relatively narrow window of hydrocarbon chains that are useable as diesel fuel. Bio-diesel is entierly dependent on the oil source and possibly dependent on that years growing conditions.

The refining of Algal oil should more closely resemble the crude oil and possibly without the need of the hydrotreating to remove the sulphur. They may even be able to select the strains of alge to customize the resutling oil to greatly reduce the amount of refining needed. As a chemist, I am really excited to see something like this come to market but have to wonder how large of facilities are going to be necessary to make this a commercial success.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, the D2 from biosource seems to be a much bigger bag of mixed chemistries than from crude. Crude is refined, cracker, and then hydortreated to remove the sulphur. All of this results in a relatively narrow window of hydrocarbon chains that are useable as diesel fuel. Bio-diesel is entierly dependent on the oil source and possibly dependent on that years growing conditions.

The refining of Algal oil should more closely resemble the crude oil and possibly without the need of the hydrotreating to remove the sulphur. They may even be able to select the strains of alge to customize the resutling oil to greatly reduce the amount of refining needed. As a chemist, I am really excited to see something like this come to market but have to wonder how large of facilities are going to be necessary to make this a commercial success.
My understanding is that the hydrotreating is also what removes the natural lubricity from the fuel. What do you think this means for lubricity of the algae-sourced fuel?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the alga does not produce sulphur as a by-product of the oil production, then there should be no reason to hydrotreat the resulting diesel. However, that does not automatically mean that it will have higher lubrication. IIRC, the sulphur is one of the many things in LSD that helps the lubrication.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the alga does not produce sulphur as a by-product of the oil production, then there should be no reason to hydrotreat the resulting diesel. However, that does not automatically mean that it will have higher lubrication. IIRC, the sulphur is one of the many things in LSD that helps the lubrication.
No- that's a common misconception but sulfur does provide lubrication by itself. When they hydrotreat the fuel to remove sulfur they also remove the compounds that provide lubricity. If the algae process does not use hydrotreating then I'm hopeful its lubricity will be much better than D2 :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No- that's a common misconception but sulfur does provide lubrication by itself. When they hydrotreat the fuel to remove sulfur they also remove the compounds that provide lubricity. If the algae process does not use hydrotreating then I'm hopeful its lubricity will be much better than D2 :)
That's why I said "sulphur is one of the many things in LSD that helps the lubrication". Sulphur by itself does not give lubrication but with all of the other gunk in the LSD, it helps with the lubrication.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SoladieselRD® (Renewable #2 Diesel) is ASTM D975 compliant. VW's require their fuel to meet this spec. That's really all there is to it.

Here's a bit more on the partnership:

link
Tom

Its a little surprising that while you cannot recommend tdi's > MY2006 because of VWs cynical handling of the HPFP problem, you are confident that they will deal with this issue in a more straightforward way. Donating four cars is a modest commitment and the phrase 'to measure effects' sounds to me like the jury is still out.

Anyway we have a difference of opinion. I think I'm right - but I hope you are.

John