EGR delete differences

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9L
2006.5 1.9 BRM Jetta here. My EGR cooler seems to have failed and I was considering a delete rather than replacement, but I had a couple questions:

Aside from aesthetics, what are the differences between a race pipe EGR delete and a normal one?

I’ve read that your check-engine light may come on if you don’t get a tune, but that’s seeming been in threads specifically for the race pipe delete as well as mentioned on a kit description for a race pipe delete but not the regular delete on TDIupgrades. Will it happen either way?

Is there anything I need to know about the EGR delete aside from legality, ASV deletion, to be careful with the turbo tubing, and it being a pain in the ass?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the BRM, the EGR cooler changeover flap shaft bushings wear out, causing a bad exhaust leak (manifested as a loud hissing sound... unmistakable, you can easily hear it from the driver seat). So... the want to physically remove this part would be that. Otherwise, if it is not leaking, then you can just leave it be. An EGR "delete" can all be done via software, you needn't mess with anything else.

I would for sure not mess with intake regulating flap, as that also acts to cushion the engine at shut down (the "anti shudder" valve portion of its function). No need to remove the EGR valve itself, either.

If your cooler IS leaking, and you DO want to remove it, then all you need is two block off plates... one goes on the EGR valve housing (again, the EGR valve itself remains left alone), the other on the exhaust manifold portion of the turbocharger. Then you'll need to reroute the coolant hoses together that normally would have run to and from the cooler (the BRM's cooler has no small vent hose).

That latter part is the tricky part, as the anatomy and plumbing of the BRM doesn't make it easy, and many methods are a bit of a kludge and leave something to be desired and often allow for leaks and other issues. As of yet, I've not found any off-the-shelf (from another VAG engine/model) solution for the heater hose assembly like we have for the ALH engines.

It would be nice if someone just manufactured a nice L-shaped pipe, with a mounting bracket of some form, that allowed the use of the original hoses from the EGR cooler, and maybe mounted to one or two of the threaded holes in the block that the EGR cooler was mounted to. That would make a nice, clean, secure solution with far less headache.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yes, as usual everything Oilhammer said is correct. You will have a check engine with the race pipe or not. I like to keep the ASV in case of a runaway.

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9L
On the BRM, the EGR cooler changeover flap shaft bushings wear out, causing a bad exhaust leak (manifested as a loud hissing sound... unmistakable, you can easily hear it from the driver seat). So... the want to physically remove this part would be that. Otherwise, if it is not leaking, then you can just leave it be. An EGR "delete" can all be done via software, you needn't mess with anything else.

I would for sure not mess with intake regulating flap, as that also acts to cushion the engine at shut down (the "anti shudder" valve portion of its function). No need to remove the EGR valve itself, either.

If your cooler IS leaking, and you DO want to remove it, then all you need is two block off plates... one goes on the EGR valve housing (again, the EGR valve itself remains left alone), the other on the exhaust manifold portion of the turbocharger. Then you'll need to reroute the coolant hoses together that normally would have run to and from the cooler (the BRM's cooler has no small vent hose).

That latter part is the tricky part, as the anatomy and plumbing of the BRM doesn't make it easy, and many methods are a bit of a kludge and leave something to be desired and often allow for leaks and other issues. As of yet, I've not found any off-the-shelf (from another VAG engine/model) solution for the heater hose assembly like we have for the ALH engines.

It would be nice if someone just manufactured a nice L-shaped pipe, with a mounting bracket of some form, that allowed the use of the original hoses from the EGR cooler, and maybe mounted to one or two of the threaded holes in the block that the EGR cooler was mounted to. That would make a nice, clean, secure solution with far less headache.
Thank you for your prompt and thorough response. I think that answered all of my initial questions and I’ve definitely decided against the race pipe.

I haven’t done a ton of research on actually removing the cooler yet; do you think it would it be easier to remove the EGR valve and work from the top, or just remove it from the bottom? I know the BRM generally makes everything more difficult to access.

Thanks again!

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
ASV is a butterfly valve in the intake near the back top of the engine. BRM is the Engine code.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Keep the ASV. Also deleting the EGR cooler will cause a delay in the coolant reaching the normal operating temperature.
Might want to take that into consideration if you live in a state with harsh winters.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I just finished one up with the exact same issues. I left the cooler in place and removed the flex line from the turbo to the cooler and installed a home-made blank plate (1/4" aluminum) on the turbo side. Then I disconnected the flex end coming from the cooler to the intake and bent it out of the way and installed a second blank on the intake. I did remove the EGR assy temporarily to make it easier to both move the flex and install the blank. As long as the cooler doesn't start leaking coolant - it should be good to go for a long time.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
That’s going to be a lot of heat for Aluminum to take. Might not hold up long term.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s going to be a lot of heat for Aluminum to take. Might not hold up long term.
Nah... 1200+ degree melting point (the turbo's EGR port will never get that hot). I installed on on my BEW around 2008? Several other cars since then.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Nah... 1200+ degree melting point (the turbo's EGR port will never get that hot). I installed on on my BEW around 2008? Several other cars since then.
Doesn't have to melt, just heat enough to soften under 60psi+ of hot exhaust pressure.

Mine might have been an edge case, tuned car pulling a trailer with a fridge on it, but the aluminum blockoff plate bubbled and leaked nonetheless.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doesn't have to melt, just heat enough to soften under 60psi+ of hot exhaust pressure.

Mine might have been an edge case, tuned car pulling a trailer with a fridge on it, but the aluminum blockoff plate bubbled and leaked nonetheless.
Jeez! Maybe I'll find some steel to use in the future! (I have a plasma cutter) and leave the aluminum for the cooler stuff :oops:

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
I’ve even found the off the shelf thin exhaust block off plates to eventually leak. I made my own with 3/8 or 1/2 steel, courtesy of a plasma cutter. And also I haven’t recently found the egr and asv delete race pipes available. Didn’t head to the dark web, but went far and wide on the web. Asv and egr removal was for simplicity and cleaning up the area for future maintenance purposes on a new to us vehicle that got an engine rebuild. A manual transmission one, the only kind that should have asv removed.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Because if the engine runs away, you have no way to stall it out. Although that doesn't always stop it anyway. Runaways can tooef an engine in seconds.

I don't remove them because I don't like that violent shake when the engine shuts off.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yeah I don’t like the shake either. The previous owner of my DSG car deleted the ASV. I wish it still had it.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i really dont' find any violent shake from deleting ASV on any of my cars... wife doesn't even notice it. it's extremely mild. *shrug*. not worried at all about asv saving the day in case of that "runaway" . wife's car - automatic - 225k on the turbo, i'm not concerned. took turbo off about 3k ago to clean out gunky vanes, zero shaft play, all good. put it back on :)

kensue356

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
To Oil Hammer, You say that I should reninstall the AVS to stop a runaway engine, which I truely believe you. I am runnig a delete kit now for a long time. If I understand this correcty, I can reinstall the AVE with the delete kit still on? Is this something new lately?
Could you please explain what should go back on the motor? The EGR cooler is permanately off and I have the blocking plates installed. I did this all 5 years ago. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Well it’s the best chinneisum metal available. I’ve never seen a race pipe that incorporates the clip attachment.