Dpf filter changed now I have exhaust smell and noise

jones.d

TDI
2012 vw Jetta tdi
I recently got my dpf filter changed as soon as I got it back from the garage there’s been a exhaust smell coming into the cabin of my car and there’s a werid knocking noise I took the car back to the garage to ask what’s wrong and they are now telling me I need a new turbo and there’s something wrong with my transmission but there was never any issues before bringing my tdi there. I’m in Maine and very limited on places who will work on my car. Any advice ??

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The smell is prob a clamp not tighten or sitting right. I'd take it to a new shop because I feel like they are rinsing you. Is there any issues with the transmission when driving? I feel like they are either trying to push you away cause they dont want to deal with it or screw you. Is there any DTCs? Do they think its the turbo cause maybe the DPF isnt sitting flush/clamped? Could be alot of things without a scanlog, video and/or pictures.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, sounds like they tooefed the job. If those V-band clamps and gaskets are not installed correctly, they'll leak. I've had to fix so many of those.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
Yep, sounds like they tooefed the job. If those V-band clamps and gaskets are not installed correctly, they'll leak. I've had to fix so many of those.
How hard is it to check the clamps? I just had my DPF replaced and I now smell exhaust inside the car.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Technicially there is two. So the first one will be at the top connecting to the turbo. Easy to see, its at the firewall and its a V-Band clamp. Although you wont be able to see if there is a gasket there or not, but I suspect youll be able to smell heavy exhaust fumes coming from there if thats an issue.

Second, is under the car connecting to the NOx cat. Another V-band clamp with same style gasket between the two.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
Technicially there is two. So the first one will be at the top connecting to the turbo. Easy to see, its at the firewall and its a V-Band clamp. Although you wont be able to see if there is a gasket there or not, but I suspect youll be able to smell heavy exhaust fumes coming from there if thats an issue.

Second, is under the car connecting to the NOx cat. Another V-band clamp with same style gasket between the two.
It smell like it’s coming from the top of the engine. So I bet it’s the one hooked to the turbo.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Check to see if its positioned correctly. Sometimes the underside of the clamp isnt sitting right cause it might be hard to see when installing it. If thats okay, check to see if its tight and then lastly most likely the gasket isnt sitting right or its not even there.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I agree 100% and that's one heck of a deal for $87 I remember I bought a 03 GTI 1.8T and was told he can't figure out why the check engine light would keep coming on every few hundred miles. He told me he's had it looked at a few shops and they couldn't figure why so he would just carry a scan tool to clear it. He even gave it to me, he said I will need it. After buying it and getting it home and hooked up my smoke machine I had it fixed in 5 minutes, one of the sensors was missing an o-ring smoke was pouring out of it.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Also it's one of your clamps. I had mine changed in my 12 TDI Golf and when I drove home I could smell and hear air coming somewhere under the car. Even the turbo was hissing every time I would let of the gas. The tech told me one of the clamps wasn't sitting right.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Few years back, Hyundai/Kia had a bunch of cars that would flag DTCs for the downstream oxygen sensor having a slow response. The sensor was fine, it was doing its job. The problem was a tiny exhaust leak at the weld in the flex pipe a few inches ahead of the sensor. The pulses of the engine would cause exhaust to leak out, and fresh air to be pulled in, causing the oxygen content that the sensor was detecting to be off. You could not see, hear, or feel that leak... but you shove the smoke machine in the car's tailpipe and wait a couple minutes and you'd see a steady tine stream of smoke pouring out around that flex pipe weld every time.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta