Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Sorry took a bit to come back to update.

Ended up being ok after a bit of back and forth with the agent and RP on the phone. Phone rep kept insisting that it needed to be on original or steel wheels and driveable but not on a spare tire. The agent in person didn't agree.

I told them "I'll go out and get the hand jack and swap the tire if that makes you happy, and drive it on a flat". Eventually phone rep said it was ok.

He apologized after and said, if it was me I wouldn't bother, but the system is going to ask me to put a note to show that I called if I report the spare tire being used.

All good in the end. 2 of 2 now gone.
Mhm.... so my plan on driving it back on 3 old winters and a spare is in jeopardy a bit... as I don't have the old tire since it blew out.

I guess it'll be worth buying a used 16" winter tire to make it easier....

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Mhm.... so my plan on driving it back on 3 old winters and a spare is in jeopardy a bit... as I don't have the old tire since it blew out.
I guess it'll be worth buying a used 16" winter tire to make it easier....
Honestly, with both vehicles I brought in, they never checked the trunk/spare. If today it was all black steelies including the spare, I wonder if he would have noticed.

minitechnicus

TDI
VW Jetta 2002 TDI (sold), VW Passat TDI 2004 (sold), VW Passat 2014 TDI Highline (sold back to VW)
Fukking witchcraft....

Im getting so tired of this process.....

OK, this might help. I called RP and talked to a rep asking him if everything looks OK at his end. He said yes, I asked about the time frame, he said "Soon, just wait a little longer" Guess what, after two hours , I logged on to the portal and bingo ! the next step was there ! I checked my e-mail, indeed the message was in my inbox.

Try to call and , advice, be polite... I know is hard but that it seems it works
I also never referred to others who got their approval faster

Cheers

minitechnicus

TDI
VW Jetta 2002 TDI (sold), VW Passat TDI 2004 (sold), VW Passat 2014 TDI Highline (sold back to VW)
Hello everyone,

One of the questions on Step 18 is

Are the kilometres driven as of Transaction Date determinable on the vehicle?

Yes/No.
If I said Yes, I have to provide a value. I am currently at 114k, should I put 3k(a month worth of driving if the appointment is in one month) or 117k (the current value plus one month worth of driving)
What happen if I answered NO to the question ?

How you guys answered ?

Cheers

Last edited:

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
OK, this might help. I called RP and talked to a rep asking him if everything looks OK at his end. He said yes, I asked about the time frame, he said "Soon, just wait a little longer" Guess what, after two hours , I logged on to the portal and bingo ! the next step was there ! I checked my e-mail, indeed the message was in my inbox.
Try to call and , advice, be polite... I know is hard but that it seems it works
Cheers
Hehe...thanks for the tip.

When I originally had my green check marks when the documents were approved, I've called every 2nd day and that is exactly what they told me.
Got my letter of offer 4 WEEKS later.

I've already called them about 3 times after I have uploaded the signed letter of offer...they told me the same thing. Still waiting...maybe it will be another 4 WEEKS? Yay!!!

So....not much I can do.

Zmanzz

TDI
2015 Jetta Highline DSG
Cheers
x2
or email those addys that were posted. worked for us

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
If you are curious, we put together a spreadsheet with a few dozen owners so you can see what some other cars are getting:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wbM72Z9DVlaxA0qQlOp6GcIaN1HZGv4Hba5Y0MhnGjM/edit#gid=0
After plotting the values from 190k km (currently) up to 300k km we'd still stand to collect $14,432 at the end of Sept 2018 - Now this is a pickle for sure!!

Keep it for the next 14mo and enjoy the fuel economy and save the possible new car payment all the while never knowing what "might" happen around the next corner?

Too many choices to pick on direction and just go with it...

Phatburner

TDI
2013 TDI wagon
Im getting so tired of this process.....
Documents all green check marked May 10th. I called last week and asked for an escalation ( my first) Today I get an email informing me that my financial consent form was rejected because "image incomplete/cut off" and to please resubmit which I did. An hour later comes another message stating "Financial Institution Lender name does not match" . I had entered VW Credit. It took them over a month to tell me this? Really?

I added the remainder of the full name VW Credit Canada Inc. and the postal address. I hope this will please them.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hello everyone,

One of the questions on Step 18 is

Are the kilometres driven as of Transaction Date determinable on the vehicle?

Yes/No.
If I said Yes, I have to provide a value. I am currently at 114k, should I put 3k(a month worth of driving if the appointment is in one month) or 117k (the current value plus one month worth of driving)
What happen if I answered NO to the question ?

How you guys answered ?

Cheers
The question is basically asking if the odometer works or not.

What you enter there for the number doesn't really even matter. Your bigger question is going to be when you get the call 20 days prior to the actual appointment. It's that call that the number you give really matters. On that call, I would give them a number that is 1000km higher than your actual odo reading. That would mean that you have 3000km from there before worrying about the dreaded 'reschedule for being over the km'. So long as you show up with an odo with >1000 but <3000 from your odo you'll be fine.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
... "Financial Institution Lender name does not match" . I had entered VW Credit. It took them over a month to tell me this? Really?
I added the remainder of the full name VW Credit Canada Inc. and the postal address. I hope this will please them.
I'd be boiling.

There was someone else on here who had their docs rejected because there wasn't a space between the direction and the street - something like WST and it had to be W ST.

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
x2
or email those addys that were posted. worked for us
Same here. Played waiting game (docs submitted May 2). Follow-ups as advised. No emails to execs.
Inefficiencies over there are systemic and those execs have little to gain as long as min thresholds are met. I believe he/she would not be able to assist w/ my specific claim.
Plus there were others who filed prior to me who wrote in, and they should be processed first in an ideal world...

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I've received the Buyback offer.
However, I've changed my mind and want to Trade-in.

Anyone has done this and what to do?
Call the 1-888-670-4773 number and ask. Simple as that!

CDN_TDi

TDI
Hehe...thanks for the tip.
When I originally had my green check marks when the documents were approved, I've called every 2nd day and that is exactly what they told me.
Got my letter of offer 4 WEEKS later.
I've already called them about 3 times after I have uploaded the signed letter of offer...they told me the same thing. Still waiting...maybe it will be another 4 WEEKS? Yay!!!
So....not much I can do.
My timeline to assist others... 2 weeks from doc submission to green checkmarks. Another 2-3 weeks after that I called in - rep opened up the docs and confirmed they looked fine. And she confirmed there were no rejection notes on file. Then she requested an escalation - and advised it takes a min of 5 days for a different team to work on this escalation, and to call back then if the letter was not sent.
In the end, my final offer letter took over 6 weeks from doc submission date. The signed offer approval took 24 hours.
Hang in there FV - good luck must be on its way.

aciduzzu

TDI
Once they determined I was an individual from Ontario (not a business), advice was to provide feedback to the minister - link below. The current form is for business claims. This contradicts earlier member calls to them as posted on this forum.
They were understanding of the situation:
-Sold product returned at no fault of the customer
-Provisions for other CDN customers outside of Ontario. Since this is Federal, every individual should be treated equitably regardless of province of residence
Very interested in their response to your submissions. Good luck folks
www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/mnstr/mlng-eng.html
Thanks for this. I will try it out.

CDN_TDi

TDI
I'd be boiling.
There was someone else on here who had their docs rejected because there wasn't a space between the direction and the street - something like WST and it had to be W ST.
Unfortunately the teams (front line, escalation, audit, etc.) do not communicate with each other. Another poster here confirmed he was advised, claimants must call in for updates.
As mentioned earlier - these inefficiencies are systemic, and unfortunately there's no closed loop process, nor use of technology/tools to improve comm's, service, nor setting proper expectations.
Hopefully the above helps others understand the process and its breakdowns - so you have a plan of attack and followup effectively with your claim.
Good luck everyone...

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Our concerns(after we cash the cheque) need to be sent to the presidents of the companies involved, and if someone where ever the annual meeting is , should buy one share, and go to the meeting and lay it into them, and someone needs to pull the records of what the lawyers negotiations were,, I'm guessing it wasnt much given the things we picked up on,, and sadly the judge disregarded..

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Unfortunately the teams (front line, escalation, audit, etc.) do not communicate with each other. Another poster here confirmed he was advised, claimants must call in for updates.
As mentioned earlier - these inefficiencies are systemic, and unfortunately there's no closed loop process, nor use of technology/tools to improve comm's, service, nor setting proper expectations.
Hopefully the above helps others understand the process and its breakdowns - so you have a plan of attack and followup effectively with your claim.
Good luck everyone...
Very well said my friend; very well said. However, inefficiencies are an understatement .... Not sure what happened with my file, how did they add a "1" in front of my mileage of 38,993km making it "138,993kms ?

CDN_TDi

TDI
Very well said my friend; very well said. However, inefficiencies are an understatement .... Not sure what happened with my file, how did they add a "1" in front of my mileage of 38,993km making it "138,993kms ?
For things that can't be explained... user error / manual error category :eek:

Hopefully things are moving ahead with your claim. Good luck

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Good luck everyone...
There is a better way, at least for me. Having a senior RP manager appointed to my case subsequent to writing a detailed letter to the president of VW paved the road. It was short, smooth sailing from that point forward. Ymmv.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Our concerns(after we cash the cheque) need to be sent to the presidents of the companies involved, and if someone where ever the annual meeting is , should buy one share, and go to the meeting and lay it into them, and someone needs to pull the records of what the lawyers negotiations were,, I'm guessing it wasnt much given the things we picked up on,, and sadly the judge disregarded..
All beyond the pale, this horse has left the harbour.

Unfortunately for us piddly owners the role we play is the one they designate: consumer. Fortunately for us the overlords took a bad deed whacking, and for some we almost get even on the financial end of things.......for a rare change.

I'll have the dealer make a photocopy of their cheque to me....gonna stick that puppy on the wall....right beside the scalp.

Iridium

TDI
2014 Jetta
Hello everyone,

A question regarding Step 17 . I signed off and uploaded the Letter of Offer exactly a week ago (June 14), waiting to be validated and move on to Step 18. Any idea how long the validation process will take ? What was your waiting time ?

Thanks !

Cheers !
I've been stuck with the big blue eye since June 5th. I'm not in a rush however as I already bought my replacement.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Once they determined I was an individual from Ontario (not a business), advice was to provide feedback to the minister - link below. The current form is for business claims. This contradicts earlier member calls to them as posted on this forum.
Exactly what I posted weeks ago.... If you want to know your options, contact a tax lawyer...

Lorentz

TDI
NMS passat 2013
I really don't know how they work. My wife received her offer on june 15th. She signed it and sent it back the same day. I called to see what was going on with my case, and was told my sell contract wasn't good ( could not see the VIN#), but no one told me that since may 11th. Send back new copy off sales contract, it took 15 min to get approved. Finally received my letter june 19th send it back the same day and got my appointment on the 20th ( appointment will be july 17th, it is the first date available at my dealer). My wife .... still has no news, her letter is still under review ....

Last edited:

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
So I want to confirm with anyone on here who has done their buyback

If I send it back to the dealer on my winter tires, will they dock me on my buyout?

Reason being is I no longer have the OEM rims and I'm not sending it to VW with BBS's on it lol

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon

If I send it back to the dealer on my winter tires, will they dock me on my buyout?

Reason being is I no longer have the OEM rims and I'm not sending it to VW with BBS's on it lol
No, only thing that affects your buyback is Make, Model, Year, and Mileage.

Oh... and if you purposely return it missing stuff like the hood, doors, etc...

Winters on steelies are perfectly fine.

Torqlvr

TDI
2012 Passat

Buyback/trade-in on winters too? I guess it's the same?