Clutch for 01e (6spd) BHW with 228mm SMF

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for reading through and helping me figure this one out.

I have a new (to me) 6 spd swapped BHW (GAZ transmission code) with a 228mm Valeo SMF and SouthBend clutch (unsure of which exact clutch). Stage 2 from TDtuning.

I hate to say this but when WOT there’s a minor jump in rpm’s before it “catches” so I’m pre-emptively looking at what the best clutch setup is for my SMF.

Most of the posts I’ve read about are talking about a Whitbread flywheel (240mm) or a Sachs DMF.

Please help point me in the right direction!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have an 01E FRF (tallest) with a 240mm luk DMF and an SRE clutch. Have gone 300k km on that clutch with 0 issues save a little chatter once in a while on low rpm engagement. I cant speak for other clutches other than the myriad threads about issues with 228mm option.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sorta...

The 240mm (except for the whitbread SMF) needs the 5.5mm spacer between the transmission and the engine, as well as an EU only snub nosed starter. 228mm flywheels can use the stock auto starter and do not need the spacer.

You'll also need longer dowels between the transmission and engine to accomodate the increased spacing due to the spacer.

Read all about it here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/bhw-01e-6-speed-swap.378108/

Last edited:

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Sorta...

The 240mm (except for the whitbread SMF) needs the 5.5mm spacer between the transmission and the engine, as well as an EU only snub nosed starter. 228mm flywheels can use the stock auto starter and do not need the spacer.

You'll also need longer dowels between the transmission and engine to accomodate the increased spacing due to the spacer.

Read all about it here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/bhw-01e-6-speed-swap.378108/
Wondering if I’d be better off just getting a LUK 228mm DMF and clutch kit from cascade and sending the clutch off too southbend..

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've seen mixed reviews.

It's a tough choice. When I converted mine, I knew I would be drving it for a while, so I went with the option that would be most trouble-free. Based on the various threads for clutch issues on these conversions, I'm glad I did. Again, other than occasional chatter (whcih can be solved by doing a high slip engagement once in a blue moon), the clutch has never slipped and never given an issue. The Other concern I have on the 6speeds and SMF combo is the potential for cracked synchros. Seen a few threads on those - not a huge number, but who wants to run the risk if it means you have to source another EU only transmission?

Also - yes, Tuned - By Malone - stg II + turning all the Transmission related faults off.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
I've seen mixed reviews.

It's a tough choice. When I converted mine, I knew I would be drving it for a while, so I went with the option that would be most trouble-free. Based on the various threads for clutch issues on these conversions, I'm glad I did. Again, other than occasional chatter (whcih can be solved by doing a high slip engagement once in a blue moon), the clutch has never slipped and never given an issue. The Other concern I have on the 6speeds and SMF combo is the potential for cracked synchros. Seen a few threads on those - not a huge number, but who wants to run the risk if it means you have to source another EU only transmission?

Also - yes, Tuned - By Malone - stg II + turning all the Transmission related faults off.
Is the 240mm better than the 228mm? If so, how?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Very loaded question, there are a lot of opinions, many conflicting.

In general, a larger clutch will hold more torque. The majority of the issues posted about the 228mm clutches behind a BHW is that they slip.

Just search for "clutch" in the b5 forum - hours and hours of reading.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Far too many threads on the 228mm units slipping. I would highly recommend going 240mm with the DMF. My stock 240 setup lasted for the entire life of my swap. I bought the SRE setup with a new DMF and never needed it with Malone Stage2. The boxes are still sitting on the shelf casually waiting to find a clean wagon to drop everything into.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan

In general, a larger clutch will hold more torque. The majority of the issues posted about the 228mm clutches behind a BHW is that they slip.

Can you please point me in the direction of everything I would need to change over to 240mm?part numbers if you can… Looking at that LUK DMF kit w Sachs clutch from dark side in the UK. 5.5mm spacer, and a special starter, and what else?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It's all here in the first post:

Spacer, pilot bearing, dowels, with part numbers