Can you identify this VW?

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
There are a number of vehicular accident pictures going around the internet but these struck home.

The previous emails with these pictures stated "Beware of the Smart Cars!" Smart cars have a 3 bolt rim and not a 5 bolt as shown.

Now they are going around again in "Accident Saftey" emails.

I am not going to show the pictures of the poor chap that was cut in half though.

The Wheel emblems appear to be VW's. Can any body verify what this car was?

or

I am not aware of any North American VW's haveing the spare tyre mounted outside of the rear door like this so I suspect that it was one of the EU flavors.

Christmas Cheers to everone and drive safe out there!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is the Brazillian CrossFox, similar to a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. We will not see these here, we will get the Tiguan instead.

However keep in mind ANYTHING that goes up against a big Mercedes Benz (Freightliner) truck like this car did is going to get crumpled. This picture is in no way indicative of the safety of this vehicle. :rolleyes:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
PapaBare said:
There are a number of vehicular accident pictures going around the internet but these struck home.

The previous emails with these pictures stated "Beware of the Smart Cars!" Smart cars have a 3 bolt rim and not a 5 bolt as shown.

Now they are going around again in "Accident Saftey" emails.

I am not going to show the pictures of the poor chap that was cut in half though.

The Wheel emblems appear to be VW's. Can any body verify what this car was?

or

I am not aware of any North American VW's haveing the spare tyre mounted outside of the rear door like this so I suspect that it was one of the EU flavors.

Christmas Cheers to everone and drive safe out there!
Did the driver live?:( That is something, at least it was quick. Might have been a suicide, otherwise, how do you hit a semi- head on at highway speed?.
--Nate

Last edited:

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Can you ID this VW

Antsrcool said:
i dont think they made it judging that u can see teh steering wheel is placed into the back seat.....
The driver was literally cut in half just above the hips.

Thanks for the info folks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Joe_Meehan said:
You would get the same result running a Hummer into a truck like that.
No, I would be laughing at that. But the crunched 'dub makes me sad. Loss of life sucks either way, though. :eek:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Wow.... just wow. Did a real number on the axle of the Freightliner/M-B too. Takes a lot of force to screw up one of those axles...looks like there was a fire as well.

That's rather horrific...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
oilhammer said:
No, I would be laughing at that. But the crunched 'dub makes me sad. Loss of life sucks either way, though. :eek:
I sold my little 1200 pound Sunbeam Imp (rear engine 875cc) to a co-worker back in the 70's. The next night he drove into the back end of a Chevy Impala that had stalled out on the freeway. He was going 70 mph and never saw the car. He came out of it with just a scratch on his head and a sore shoulder from the seat belt.

A lot of things go into who gets injured in a crash and the size of the car is only one factor and not the most important. In the case above, what saved him was a rush zone that absorbed the shock and shoved the fuel tank and tyre under the car (did not leak) The car was totally crushed up to the firewall.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Notice that the Freighty is full over to the right side of his lane, and the Crossfox managed to hit him absolutely dead on. Two things likely: the car driver was asleep and wandered over (not likely since the truck might have had quite a bit of time to watch it happening - assuming the collission was during daylight) or the guy was doing a good job of trying to kill himself without any regard for the life of the truck driver (yes, it could have gone very badly for him if he had jacknifed, rolled or had another collission trying to avoid).