Burpod Tuning

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I'm making some video's I'll post soon about how to make logs for @burpod, and how to Read, write, and ECU id in MPPS v18. This will hopefully give a visual for people to watch and make things easier for those who are new. I also hope that it will save Burpod time explaining to newbs like me how to use VCDS and MPPSv18 so that he can spend more time making tunes for us and spending time with family;). Hopefully they turn out ok and are easy to follow along with as my video skills are a 1/10. I also plan to make one that shows how to unbrick an ALH ECU if you find yourself caught in that situation. It's not hard, just takes a bit of time to figure out. Thankfully burpod was patient enough to teach me how to do this for like 3hrs, so hopefully I can make a video clearly showing what needs to be done.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Reading and writing in mppsv18
Logging 011 and 014 in vcds.

Here are 2 videos. Glare was really bad and I made a few mistakes so I may do a better version later.

Btw. In the logging video what I meant by he should be able to keep them straight is when I first sent him logs I just sent him random file names. For that reason when he would go in and view them he didn't know which log went to which tune on that file. Obviously that wasn't going to work, so he had me write them the way I do now so that at any given time he can go back and view them. In the video I just got caught up in trying to figure out what to say/how to say it and it became a failure of proper English with a tongue twister😄.

Last edited:

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Thanks for doing this.
Comments are turned off on your videos.
I find that happens when I set it as for kids.

By "had to bench it" you mean you had to pull the ECU and hook it up on a bench with all the extra wires and connectors provided?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for doing this.
Comments are turned off on your videos.
I find that happens when I set it as for kids.

By "had to bench it" you mean you had to pull the ECU and hook it up on a bench with all the extra wires and connectors provided?
I'll have to go in and turn those on.

Yes, had to hook it up with a 12v power source and plug in certain pins.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
How did you know it needed to be benched?
Did VCDS still work/connect?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
How did you know it needed to be benched?
Did VCDS still work/connect?
The car would crank but not start. Whereas it had been running the day before, and all i changed was trying to write a new file onto the ecu.
Vcds wouldn't work because the car won't start anyway.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a complaint! After sending me an updated tune he tells me " Drive it sanely" what's up with that anyway and "No WOT runs either" what a spoilsport! Dammit! j/k
After burpod's tune was installed, I could not believe how good my Jetta ran.
He has sent me updates and each one was better than the last; nobody sends multiple tunes to try out, nobody.
Burpod's pricing structure is the best in the business. Period.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
He has sent me updates and each one was better than the last; nobody sends multiple tunes to try out, nobody.
what do you mean?
i went through 6-7 tune revisions with Malone in 1 day. each was better than the last and the car runs great now

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
what do you mean?
i went through 6-7 tune revisions with Malone in 1 day. each was better than the last and the car runs great now
Ok - that's a new one to me. Haven't heard that from a Malone tune before; what "stage" was this?

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Ok - that's a new one to me. Haven't heard that from a Malone tune before; what "stage" was this?
"Stage 4" on my CJAA, they said "stage" which leads people to think their stage 4 is a "insta tune" or a copy paste, but all their stage 4's are custom

of course if you buy their stage 4 kit, the first revision is likely to be good enough for 90% of people, but you can log and send it to them for fine tuning

so far, i have been more than happy with malone

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
"Stage 4" on my CJAA, they said "stage" which leads people to think their stage 4 is a "insta tune" or a copy paste, but all their stage 4's are custom

of course if you buy their stage 4 kit, the first revision is likely to be good enough for 90% of people, but you can log and send it to them for fine tuning

so far, i have been more than happy with malone
I have ridden in a CJAA Malone stg4 (custom) and I know what your talking about. Has bigger turbo, injectors, dsg tune, exhaust, whole 9 yards ect.The car did seem to drive really well. Though I am curious about how it would do with a tune set up for it from another member we have here (not burpod)...
I also wonder what some of the data logged from that car would look like.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I should have been more clear, with burpod I have multiple codings available by using VCDS to select which coding ( tune) I want to use. That way I don't have to tie up burpods time by running 1 file (tune) and then emailing the one set of logs and wait. He has seen my logs so he knows what "options" to include or not.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Though I am curious about how it would do with a tune set up for it from another member we have here
we shall see :) i will have my car remapped by a member here eventually. need this vacation out of the way first, then once the rest of the parts are on i can begin looking into it

I should have been more clear, with burpod I have multiple codings available by using VCDS to select which coding ( tune) I want to use. That way I don't have to tie up burpods time by running 1 file (tune) and then emailing the one set of logs and wait. He has seen my logs so he knows what "options" to include or not.
switching between tunes via VCDS coding is pretty neat! wish all tuners could do this

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
switching between tunes via VCDS coding is pretty neat! wish all tuners could do this
FWIW
Been doing this since, oh, 2009 or so. :) Nearly every ALH tune.

Nice to see new blood, but eventually, maybe, the realization becomes there's really "nothing new under the sun". After you see a few thousand of these, you'll figure it out. Maybe. Keep digging. Always something new to learn. Don't fall into dunning-kruger trap.

Reactions: pjn

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW
Been doing this since, oh, 2009 or so. :) Nearly every ALH tune.

Nice to see new blood, but eventually, maybe, the realization becomes there's really "nothing new under the sun". After you see a few thousand of these, you'll figure it out. Maybe. Keep digging. Always something new to learn. Don't fall into dunning-kruger trap.
Not necessarily anything new under the sun, but just a different way of doing things. I was very skeptical of burpod at first. I really didn't know if he knew what he was talking about or not. Because of this and not knowing If I wanted to be replacing my engine in a few months due to someone's "tuning" I hesitated at first. What I found though is that he provides a ton of information about what he is doing and why he does it. Most large changes in his tunes that I received he told me what he changed and why it would be better not only for performance but also in the long run.

I'm not saying he is the best tuner in the world (as if that is a thing), but I am saying that he is a largely untapped resource for those that are wanting tuning. I posted about my experiences with him and the results so that others can learn and see what he does exactly. My results have been great, so I want others to know and be able to experience it as well.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Don't fall into dunning-kruger trap
Well, let's just say that I've learned more in getting a tune from @burpod than I have from the dozen and some tunes I've received from other tuners. I don't really think he's of the "low skill / competence leading to overestimating one's capabilities" sort; and in my chats with him, he's very much of the "I'm still figuring things out..." mindset, even with what he's already been able to make available.

On the contrary, one may attribute the Dunning-Kruger effect to other tuners (not pointing any fingers here) who continued to tell me that if I wanted power, I had to just accept the smoke; and / or to hammer mod to get IQ "right" to help mitigate some of the smoke.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
to be fair, only the edc15 (alh/ahu/1z) ecu's can have 3 tunes in one ecu file. edc16+ - PD/CR ecus don't work that way. you can really only have one tune at a time

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
If you ever come across 038906012GS_5310 it has 6 tune slots, and uses the 800BT flash.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
If you ever come across 038906012GS_5310 it has 6 tune slots, and uses the 800BT flash.
i'm aware there are some edc15/software that can have >3, just trying to keep things simple :p and haven't felt a need for >3 enough to want to spend time on that. 3's more than enough most people to handle at a time anyway :)

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I think if I remember correctly its the same damos as 012FD, all the same ecu except 800BT flash and 7 slots. (oops I said 6 before lol)
Thought about offering this as an option but those suck to solder. And everyone ends up using one tune, anyway, after the novelty wears off. And no time for that kind of stuff anymore.
From a pistenbully snowcat BTW

1684356587239.png

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't think I could use more then 4 tunes. Even with 3 I almost never switch. I find my personal favorite and keep it. They don't drive differently enough to make a big enough difference that it would be worth it.

More practical on trucks where you can have towing, economy, then like 2 different powerhouse tunes

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
not to "derail" things too much, but the biggest benefit of using all the available codings is for speeding up the tuning/fine-tuning process, especially for a new hardware combination. my brothers car, for example, which i have worked on many times and maintain, i fill in 3 tunes each with slightly different timing and/or boost maps. testing each one of those out, without having to reflash, saves time. and it helps get in idea of what is working best for a particular car/turbo/fueling combination, it also gives clues as to whether i think the fueling is accurate or not. so i test drive each one, logging it and trying to keep track of how EGTs are as well, watch fuel consumption numbers etc. i try to save fuel and combine test drives with errands :) go back, review the logs, attempt to remember all the rest of the details and figure out what i think is wrong, right, or needs adjusting. without a dyno, more time, and a dedicated test car with a handful of pump/nozzle/turbos thats the best i can do :)

in the end, "one tune" is likely best for any one person. but perhaps a towing tune or a winter-weather tune would be useful to have. a fuel-limited inspection tune would definitely be handy and easy to have for those that need it.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Don't think I could use more then 4 tunes. Even with 3 I almost never switch. I find my personal favorite and keep it. They don't drive differently enough to make a big enough difference that it would be worth it.

More practical on trucks where you can have towing, economy, then like 2 different powerhouse tunes
I mostly agree. I like how burpod has it set up, for testing with the three tunes, but once it's dialed in a valet tune, and power tune are about all you need.
Most of my personal trucks have been mechanical injection so you just learn how to drive, tow and haul watching gauges and not using full throttle. There's no different tunes lol. Well at least without a lot of work. This stuff just spoils you with the options.
I do wish we had a way to record egt on the log data, would make life much easier imo.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Subscribed.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The term "stages" is for the masses to more easily grasp anyway. A better way to name them would be a 70mg tune or 120mg tune, since the amount of injected fuel is a far better differentiator between power levels. But it's not really data that most people care to think about..they just want it to feel faster.

On topic though, @burpod has been fun to work with on my old Jetta. Definitely would recommend!

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
to be fair, only the edc15 (alh/ahu/1z) ecu's can have 3 tunes in one ecu file. edc16+ - PD/CR ecus don't work that way. you can really only have one tune at a time
ah that's a shame to read. wouldve been so cool to have multiple tunes on my EDC17!!!!
i'd love to have a valet tune, then my regular tune