Audi A4R4 450HP CBEA (CR) Build

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Wow, that is a real bummer. Pity, I had the 1.6TD pistons coated by Swaintech and was very happy with how they turned out: (ignore the valve mark and the erosion from leaking injectors...hehe)

Hopefully they will make good with them and fix it.

Brendan

*Edit- to add another positive comment about Swaintech's coating performance, this was originally a 1.6D engine, so it did not have piston oil squirters. I figured this was a good preventative measure when adding a turbo (without intercooler). We took the car on a roadtrip to South Dakota and got caught in some brutal winds in MN, so to keep the car at the speed limit of 75 MPH, it was running about 12 PSI boost and 1400F EGT, and we sustained that for about 300 miles. I'd say without the coating we probably would have melted down a piston.

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
what about remelting the lip of the bowl and leavin the rest of the piston alone? if it fails with heat, it will the bowl lip that cracks first.. om642ls also uses this technology, what it brings in real life I dont know, for 265hp al day long any normal om642 will just be fine

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
The swaintech coating is holding up well on my drag car's pistons.It might even be the reason that the pistons survived as we had no oil cooling to the pistons due to broken off piston cooling jets.

Just to add some info about the headstuds as the topic was brought up.I orignally ran the ford cosworth headstuds on my iron head tdi and had zero issues with 90 psi boost and likely 400 hp at the time.I swapped them out for the arp 2000's as they were a much better option.The TDI arp2000's are very good and there is no need for anthing better ! You would split the block before needing anything better.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
The swaintech coating is holding up well on my drag car's pistons.It might even be the reason that the pistons survived as we had no oil cooling to the pistons due to broken off piston cooling jets.

Just to add some info about the headstuds as the topic was brought up.I orignally ran the ford cosworth headstuds on my iron head tdi and had zero issues with 90 psi boost and likely 400 hp at the time.I swapped them out for the arp 2000's as they were a much better option.The TDI arp2000's are very good and there is no need for anthing better ! You would split the block before needing anything better.
how many lbs you torque them down to?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I'am torquing the arp2000's to spec.I think I torqued the cosworth studs to 120-125 ft-lbs which was past their yeild point but they did do the job.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
The swaintech coating is holding up well on my drag car's pistons.It might even be the reason that the pistons survived as we had no oil cooling to the pistons due to broken off piston cooling jets
I was impressed when I heard this. :cool:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
what about remelting the lip of the bowl and leavin the rest of the piston alone? if it fails with heat, it will the bowl lip that cracks first..
can you explain what you mean by remelting the lip of the bowl and leaving the rest alone? I am not positive what you meant. thx

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I picked up a nice set of files today.. I am going to work on the pistons myself until they look like what I want. I was hoping to limit some of my time on the project by paying others at times...this really has not worked out for me.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
its a technology first used by mercedes to make the bowl lip more durable under hogh load/high temperature. they remelt the bowl lip with a TIG to change the grain structure (much faster cooling of the material as when copared to casting or forging)

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
In my opinion,in order to get you going
Just glass blast (or whatever it is called in English) the piston tops to get rid of that crap.
The coating is not going to do anything anyways.
Then use a hand file and fine grit paper and remove those sharp edges.
You will have a thin layer of soot which isolate just as good if not better than that silly coating.
They didn't even bother to clean the pistons before coating,you can still see the 1-4 sharpie marks under the coating.
I wonder if these coatings are even worth it..

If you run oil cooled pistons, why bother?

Maybe better to put money into coated or sputter bearings instead..

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
ok. pistons are done. I decided to rework them myself with a small hand file set. I am going to leave whats left of the ceramic and let it burn off as it will. I am sick and tired of shipping things to other people and having them hold me up.
I have a new door to install on my engine build room which I will do this week and then I can start putting things together.:D I have to hall my car out of the bush as well. I will take a few picks of it tomorrow if weather permits. I have 3ft of snow to dig off the car.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Hey bud... Good news with my setup makes your 450 goal seem easy now to attain

turbo johan

Veteran Member
You have had so much drawbacks in this project, i'm happy to see the engine is getting together now!
Good luck, i really hope it is all going well now!

Johan

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Wow, aluminum blocks. Too bad I wouldn't be caught dead in any Mazda car. Closest thing I think would be the Volvo C30 which I have always liked the looks of.

Not to turn this in to a discussion of VW-vs-Mazda but it looks like they have the tech advantage, at least right now.

Brendan

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Continuing to watch with interest. I understand the frustration of getting and paying for truly expert service. How those coatings got out of the shop in that sorry state is baffling. Keep on!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
well it is just one day at a time. i have had so many delays and problems that i had to change my attitude on this project. its going to get done but life has lots of other important things too.
at this point i have an assembled long block. the piston coating were not good and by the time i finished fixing all the sharp edges the remainder of the coating will burn off in short order. i have extra piston cooling so will see how that works out. i am out of the country for the last 4 weeks but should make a bit more progress this month. the snow has finally melted off out here so i can get to the car and haul it to my shop now. might be looking for some help with the ecu install as i am short on time for learning that stuff cold turkey right now.
Gregoire do you have any free time for a few phone calls?

I will catch the posts up to date when i have this thing running. i have been taking lots of photos.

nosmokenopoke

TDI
Stage 2 Seat Leon Cupra TDI (225bhp)
well it is just one day at a time. i have had so many delays and problems that i had to change my attitude on this project. its going to get done but life has lots of other important things too.
at this point i have an assembled long block. the piston coating were not good and by the time i finished fixing all the sharp edges the remainder of the coating will burn off in short order. i have extra piston cooling so will see how that works out. i am out of the country for the last 4 weeks but should make a bit more progress this month. the snow has finally melted off out here so i can get to the car and haul it to my shop now. might be looking for some help with the ecu install as i am short on time for learning that stuff cold turkey right now.
Gregoire do you have any free time for a few phone calls?
I will catch the posts up to date when i have this thing running. i have been taking lots of photos.
We're really keen to see how this thing turns out, if you pull it off it'll be the biggest power TDI we've seen to date. We'd love to feature it on the site when you're finished.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
We're really keen to see how this thing turns out, if you pull it off it'll be the biggest power TDI we've seen to date. We'd love to feature it on the site when you're finished.
Thanks. That would be nice. I have a bunch of pictures but I am very short on free time. The long block is together with OEM head for intial engine break in. Waiting for some miscellanious pieces still - oil pan, bracket for dry sump (making both of these myself), some custom machined bits, and transfer of OEM fuel system and turbo from my spare CBEA engine. This will be the break in set-up.
I am still sorting out the wiring loom but very close on this now.
I have to tow my car from storage yet. Did not have time this week, but I will next week. I think next week should be better for progress. I actually have a custom Bosch ECU and loom coming from Johan for a CR engine on a different project. I might use that for initial engine run in just so I get a quick start and get rings seated well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUsCY69oUv0