another toyota conversion

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
If you have some pics that would be awesome. I'm debating which way to go. How often were the vanes carboning up on your setup?

Thanks,

Jesse

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi wagon, 1991 toyota mtdi
So here is my mvnt setup. It worked really well.

Here's the connection I made to the injection pump. The coil spring you see in the pic is designed to allow the injection pump lever to go back to idle no matter what happens to the rest of the system. Basically a fail safe. If the vanes jam up for some reason the injection pump will still go back to idle.

Here's the turbo side of things. When the injection pump lever moves toward full fuel it closes the vanes allowing charge pressure to build quickly. Once boost reaches a preset max, the wastegate overrides the throttle position by changing its pivot point. The biggest problem I had with this setup is the vanes requiring more effort to move them as they got carbon build up on them. The extra resistance would cause max boost to increase. I overcame this issue by letting the turbo vanes to carbon up and adjust the system instead of cleaning the vanes once a month.

If I ever do a system like this again I plan on using a simple electrical system consisting of a pulse width modulator, tps and map sensor with some kind of feedback on vane position. Sold the truck before that happened though.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread but I have some pictures to share of some of the pieces I made for the build. I recently had to replace the engine because of a catastrophic failure but the good news is I had my camera when I took everything apart.
Lets start with the oil pan. I notched it for clearance with the front diff and opened up the other side to regain oil capacity from the notch.

Here's the passenger side motor mount and rear support bracket for the power steering pump.

This is the rest of the bracket that holds the power steering pump with the toyota tensioner pulley built in. The pic is a little dark but you get the idea.

My pickup for the toyota tach with two notches welded to the back of the harmonic balancer. Worked like a charm.

I guess I should include a photo of why I had this chance to take these pics

Almost 34,000km since I put the motor in and she blew up. Hopefully the new motor lasts longer than that!

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I thought you had sold this truck? Do you know what caused the catastrophic failure? What kind of mileage di you get over the course of 34,000km? I hope you get it back on the road soon. And thanx for the above pictures of you VNT control and your other brackets.

Thanx,
Jaysin

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
I did sell the truck but I'm still the mechanic for it. It's already back up and running. It now has a real ahu block to go with the rest of the tdi stuff.
The guy I sold the truck to easily gets more than 30mpg on the highway. And he's got a pretty heavy foot.

As for what happened, I think one of the #2 main cap bolts failed which led to the cap breaking then breaking the other bolt and finally the crank throwing the cap out the side of the block. I took some pics of the cap and bolts today and will post as soon as I get a chance.

I just don't know why the bolt failed in the first place. My guess would be either overtightened or a flaw in the bolt itself. The bolts were a 10.9 grade so the next engine I get my hands on is getting upgraded main cap bolts. I found some 12.9 bolts for $.82 cents each. For less than ten bucks I get a 25% increase in strength.

Last edited:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
WOW! I've never seen a TDI come apart like that! I'm sure that would have scared the poop out of the driver.

dh13

TDI
1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU, 1994 Cummins, 1991 Jetta TD
Tach design

Can you explain how you built your tach?

I understand the notches on the pulley, but what sensor did you use? Also how was the whole system hooked up?

Thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you explain how you built your tach?
I understand the notches on the pulley, but what sensor did you use? Also how was the whole system hooked up?
Thanks
So the pickup is just a standard pickup used for the ignition system on a small engine. This pickup sends a signal to the ignitor the same way the factory distributor did. I found that the ignition coil had to be connected to make the tach work so basically the factory ignition system is used to run the tach. I ran the high tension wire out of the coil right to ground.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
So the pickup is just a standard pickup used for the ignition system on a small engine. This pickup sends a signal to the ignitor the same way the factory distributor did. I found that the ignition coil had to be connected to make the tach work so basically the factory ignition system is used to run the tach. I ran the high tension wire out of the coil right to ground.
Ha!...I was wondering why you still had a coil under the hood of that sucker :)

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
One of the few diesels you'll see with an ignition system! It actually worked perfectly for the tach and didn't cost me a dime.:cool: