ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Okay, a few tidbits for an update.

1. The coolant temp problem was a corroded splice. I plugged to a new temp sensor and got the same reading (418f) and the same with the old sensor. Looked at schematics, the ECU monitored side of the Temp sensor goes directly to the ECU (no plugs). So, I looked for a splice ... found it. It was something I did when dealing with the hard start issue. ... problem solved.

2. Intercooler Fan - Again, it was a corroded crimp at a connector .. dang, I removed the entire IC and Fan before finding out that it was only a bad connection.. problem solved.

3. As mentioned previously, in replacing the shifter linkage on the tranny (had to be removed to fill with oil), I screwed things up. It would not shift properly. Well, apparently the splined arm went on incorrectly (Yeah, I know, it supposed to go on only in one position.). So, after correcting the problem, the tranny shifts better than ever before, and not that it shifted bad previously.

Well, as far as I know, the ALH Vanagon is ready to head north, other than a little detailing inside and out, which I plan to do tomorrow afternoon and then pack!

So, unless there is something major, I'll not be posting here for a while!:)

Oh, one last comment, I am amazed at the "damage" salted snowy roads done to my nice clean engine on the bottom ......... sucks really bad!:eek:

Again, here is a link to our Road Trip to Alaska: :D http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=417129

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I thought I'd bring this Thread back out and to the top for a few comments.

The recent 11k mile road trip and a few short ones since returning has put my build project over 32k miles.

I still have an occasional CEL. Without going into the details, they all seem related to poor connections in the wiring job I did. So, hopefully when winter comes I can find the time to completely re-vamp the wiring job.

Overall, I am very pleased with the project. I suppose pulling the camper to Alaska and back puts the icing on the cake. It did far better than I expected and I'm sure convinced the non-believers!

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
thanks for pulling this thread out of the dust, i just spent all day going through it. i can't wait to start my conversion, alh or ahu into, probably, a jetta to pickup mod, or an early 80's rabbit

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for pulling this thread out of the dust, i just spent all day going through it. i can't wait to start my conversion, alh or ahu into, probably, a jetta to pickup mod, or an early 80's rabbit
At the top of this category, in the sticky, are all the builds/conversions. So, you can look there for what they have done with something similar to your project. You can also post in those which will bring them back from the dust to the top of the page!

Since my Build Thread has turned out to be extremely long, it is my intent to go thru it and do some editing (in red as may be necessary), to clarify anything that appears confusing. Also, anywhere that I have changed something because the initial set-up didn't work or I found a better way, I'll make note of that!

Winter will be perfect for editing...:)

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Remember my new fuel tank?

Well, for the past couple of weeks, I've been smelling diesel fuel about the Van (outside). There has never been diesel odor with the Van.

So, upon inspection yesterday, it appears the new tank is leaking fuel somewhere on the top side!

Question, would the 8 gallons of B99 I put in it a few weeks ago have been enough to damage the rubber grommets for the air vents? The grommets are for gasoline and not necessarily for diesel, but I have never had a problem in the past.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Remember my new fuel tank?
Well, for the past couple of weeks, I've been smelling diesel fuel about the Van (outside). There has never been diesel odor with the Van.
So, upon inspection yesterday, it appears the new tank is leaking fuel somewhere on the top side!
Question, would the 8 gallons of B99 I put in it a few weeks ago have been enough to damage the rubber grommets for the air vents? The grommets are for gasoline and not necessarily for diesel, but I have never had a problem in the past.

Possibly if the rubber isn't viton grade and was in touch with biodiesel for extended time. We're you topped up?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, every time I put fuel it is a fill-up!

As I recall, those grommets come from a VW dealer. Although the OE diesel Vanagons had the same fuel tank, I really don't know if they (VW) made different grommets for the two applications.

Also, since I posted this concern, I do recall that the big O-ring for the fuel sending unit looked sort of "swelled" when I was changing things back in July! That may be the culpret!

Diesel colgne hangs on too long ...:eek:...:D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG

As I recall, those grommets come from a VW dealer. Although the OE diesel Vanagons had the same fuel tank, I really don't know if they (VW) made different grommets for the two applications.

Also, since I posted this concern, I do recall that the big O-ring for the fuel sending unit looked sort of "swelled" when I was changing things back in July! That may be the culpret!

Love that diesel smell. I was just wondering if you "vent" your tank to get it all the way full and maybe that could have contributed. Anyway, glad you may have found it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thought I'd bring this Thread out of Archives for a few comments.

Although the Van and ALH engine performed beyond my expectations during the Alaska road trek back in July and August (33 days), in recent weeks there have been a number of issues throwing DTCs. And, the hard starting is back... even before cold weather.

We have intentions of another road trip next summer.... just sort of waiting to see where the TDI Fest will be held. Option 1. Back to Alaska and Option 2. Re-visit the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia area, including Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.

So, after the holidays, it is my intent to dig in and see what's up with the electronics.

When I commenced this project, wire splicing resistance was never given a thought. I do believe resistance is the primary reason for so many repeat DTC with total limp mode defaulting to idle only being the most serious.

Also, it is my intent to type-up a summary that contains links within this Thread to the main points of the project. I've read a few complaints about the Thread being so long. At least the info is all here and not scattered all over the Internet. But, I want to make more user friendly.

................... For those who missed the Stats on the Alaska road trip, here they are:

Miles in these calculations are GPS. The odometer was 17.2 miles less.

First half of trip to Homer, Alaska (from Southeast Kentucky)

Miles: 4,630.5
Fuel: 182.268 gallons
Cost: $853.79 (straight dollars not adjusted for Canadian exchange)
Av per gallon: $4.689
MPG: 25.404

Second half of trip (Homer Alaska back home via the back country of British Columbia on down to Sturgis, South Dakota [during biker event week] and return)

Miles: 6,251.4
Fuel: 227.68 gallons
Cost: $1,044.79 (straight dollars not adjusted for Canadian exchange)
Av per gallon: $4.588
MPG: 27.456

Overall for the trip

Miles: 10,881.9
Fuel: 409.948 gallons
Cost: $1,898.58 (straight dollars not adjusted for Canadian exchange)
Av per gallon: $4.631
MPG: 26.544:D ......... pulling a camper of about 1400 pounds plus at least another 300 pounds of "stuff" inside the Van.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Hey Andy
I'm so jealous of your trip, I love to some day take off like that, I'm working on that part, but I love hearing of your excursions it inspires me more to follow

buckweat diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit truck diesel 2000 tdi

no same as gas non viton oe seals

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Positive Crankcase Ventilation Heating Element, N79

Question 1: Does anyone know if the ECU monitors the PCV heating element (N79)?

Quesiton 2: Also, is the PCV heating element always activated during engine operation?

Comments on Question 1:

According to the schematics, the ground side of N79 is tied to Splice 131 which is a ground series involving the ECU pins 121/5 and 121/4 as well as a circuit (obviously a ground) to the GP Relay. (they are all tied together at Splice 131, no doubt)

Considering the ECU has two other circuits (121/9 & 33) that go directly to the GP Relay, I doubt the Ground circuits (121/4 & 5) are used for switching purposes.

Does that seem logical?

The N79 receives power through Fuse 43 via the 109 Relay.
As for Question 2, I have no idea? I suppose a multi-meter could answer that question.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge?

I'm in the process of giving the wiring schematics (on paper) for my ALH Vanagon a complete review for major revisions.

Luckily, we only had one incident with the accelerator acting up (or anything else) while we were on the Alaska trip. But, not long after we got back, electric systems began to act-up and continue to this day.......... does all kinds of crazy things that I'll not bore you with.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
as for your PCV heating element questions...

Q1 = From what I can remember from when I was wiring mine, no

Q2 = Yes, I'm pretty sure its on the same fuse with the brake and clutch vacuum vent valves(fuse 43) which is supplied power by the power supply relay which is always on when key is on.

It is tied to the coolant preheating glow plugs(manual trans) but the ECU simply grounds the relays to supply power to the gp's

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bit of an update:

Vanagon has been in my garage for a couple of weeks for a 40k mile maintenance check-up as well as some significant changes.

1. I bit the bullet and purchased the pilot shaft for the transmission that will accept the TDI clutch disc (when the photo thingy improves, I'll upload pics for posting)

2. Adapter plate for use of the TDI starter.

3. Will be installing a DMF or "quiet" SMF. The G60 SMF I installed in the fall of '12 has worked great but it does have significant rattle. That rattle could be the springs in the Vanagon clutch disc. Going with 100% TDI clutch system should make it quiet.

4. I have the ECU out and all the wiring exposed. The plan is to eliminate as many of the connectors as possible, re-do splices, shorten some wires, etc.

5. Plan to pull the dash to access the clutch pedal... still having occasional problems with the pedal not coming up completely. (Affects clutch and brake switch function)

6. Have fuel pump ready to install along side of the frame. It will be installed using check valves. The primary purpose will be to prime the fuel system if needed.

7. Modify the air filter intake snorkel to reduce noise

8. Complete re-do of the exhaust system. The big decision is to keep or eliminate the CAT

9. Considering installing an additional InterCooler mounted similar to what Jimbote did with his Vanagon (key word = additional)

10. Bold move with the motor mounts.... maybe a total re-design.

Pics will follow if I can figure out why I can no longer upload to my photo gallery.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Below, is the new transmission Input Shaft (top shaft in the picture). This shaft will accept the TDI Clutch Disc... notice the splines are larger. Also, the shaft is shorter than the gasser transmission shaft (bottom) as it fits in the use of the Vanagon Diesel transmission bell housing.

Below are the new exhaust components I am planning to install......... This is "about" how it will look. Of course, not laying in the back of the Van. It was my intent to install the resonator in the spot where the flex pipe is located. But, due to the need to have the exhaust flex, I'll be installing a straight pipe there (maybe 2" steel, more on that later, as it develops). So, I'm going to eliminate the CAT and put the resonator just before the muffler as shown in the pic. The E-vac pipe will go between the two components.

Below, that's where the flex pipe is now located. This has not worked well at all... mainly that brace system. Even with much stronger iron, engine vibes eventually breaks it.

Below, these pics are roughly how the exhaust system looks now:

Below, I did slant cut the tip of the muffler...

As I stated in the previous update, lots going on. Worth mentioning, I am considering a complete re-vamp of the motor mount system. I looking at installing the Motor Mount that's used on the TB side of the MK4..... one on each side. I'll post pics when I get there....

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No! I actually like having the CAT in use!

I don't think the resonator will be strong enough to handle the vibes between the down pipe and the mount brackets at the rear of the engine (those seen in the picture of the flex pipe). I am looking into the possibility of reinforcement pipe for each end of the resonator. If that is workable, I'll keep the CAT.

To give some detail, I plan to cut off the exhaust end with the big donut seal from an MK1 gasser exhaust manifold and have it welded to the end of the straight pipe or resonator. Then, I will be using the two spring clamp and exhaust flange with immediate elbow. If you are familiar, the MK1 & 2 diesel and some gassers, used a rotating/floating exhaust flange and header donut with two clamp springs to keep it in place... very strong and allows movement.

If this doesn't work out, I do have another plan! (Edit: clearance is an issue using the MK1 exhaust flange set-up as explained above.)

You will have to wait on the pics.

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Andy, regarding breaking exhaust mounts... I broke several, including some 1/4" welded ones. The current mounts have been good for 15K miles and the secret is that they're not solid - they have some rubber parts to allow movement and take up some of the vibes. YMMV, of course.

I'm looking forward to seeing more on the dual intercoolers and, of course, of the rig in general. Everything, not surprisingly, looking really clean :)

Mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here are a few pics of my starter upgrade that will be part of the modifications I'll be doing over the next several weeks.. TDI starter and adapter.....

If you recall in January/February of 2013 (pages 63 & 64), I installed the G60 SMF and new clutch & Pressure plate. Well, the OE Diesel Vanagon starter had to be modified to fit across the flywheel......... observe

Below, notice where material had to be removed from the OE starter...

Below, notice where the starter was rubbing the edge of the flywheel..

Below, you can see that the OE 215mm flywheel is not raised as much behind the teeth. However, there is an enormous difference in the 215mm vs the 228mm flywheels ...

The OE starter spins the engine just fine. However, the cost to rebuild or purchase a rebuilt OE starter vs going with an adapter and the TDI starter is a no brainer ..... :D

Last edited:

narendra.k

TDI
1990 t3 vw van
Hi Andy, Nice to see you upgrading few important parts.
My cents on the new exhaust system.
Since you have a flexible pipe,these pipes can be rubber mounted on to the vans body.
Take my word, It’s a fit & forget Job. No vibration transmitted to the Body.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Although I've not done any work on the Van since the last updates, I continue to gather parts to address the various things I mentioned. Also, I'm looking for that "window" to begin the work as I use the Van as a daily driver............. mainly because I just love to drive it.

Well, it looks as if the CAT will be left off as part of the new exhaust system. I've been over this a dozen times trying to come up with a way to suspend all that weight and feel assured there will be no more issues. Dumping the CAT eliminates about 8 to 10 pounds.

I also received my "additional" Intercooler this week. Plumbing this thing in will be a challenge. After looking over the space, etc., I'm having second thoughts about where to locate it.

So, hopefully over the next few weeks that window of opportunity will open and I can start moving and post some pics.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In TDI Vanagon discussions in the Samba, transmissions is a topic that comes to the top quite often.

I learned today that Weddle Industries is now offering 5-speed kit for the Post 83.5 year WBXer transmissions.

Copy and paste from the Weddle web site: vvvv

Get optimal gearing. The standard 4-speed 2WD VW 094 gearbox comes with the following ratios (USA spec):

R&P: 4.86, 1st: 3.78, 2nd: 2.06, 3rd: 1.23, 4th: 0.85

The Weddle 5-speed Kit comes standard with the following ratios:

R&P: 4.57, 1st: 4.11, 2nd: 2.13, 3rd: 1.48, 4th:1.02, 5th: (0.85)*
*This kit requires using the existing 4th (0.85) gear in the 5th gear position.

Optional/additional ratios are also available (at additional cost):
• R&P Set: 4.13, 4.83, 4.86
• 2nd Gear: 2.33
• 5th Gear: 0.82, 0.77, 0.75, 0.73, 0.70
................................................................................................

Weddle standard option

R&P: 4.57, 1st: 4.11, 2nd: 2.13, 3rd: 1.48, 4th:1.02, 5th: (0.85)*

My modified tranny DK

R&P: 4.57, 1st: 3.78, 2nd: 2.06, 3rd: 1.14, 4th: 0.77

Stock DK tranny

R&P: 4.57, 1st: 3.78, 2nd: 2.06, 3rd: 1.23, 4th: 0.85

As can be seen in the highlighted gears, the gap from 4th to 5th among the available choices will be better than the gap from 3rd to 4th in my application. So, this will be an improvement.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! It's been sort of hectic around here over the last week. On the 15th, a major mountain slide took out the local phone cable. So, we've had no service for almost a week. Then Friday afternoon, I discovered we had a major sewer back-up in the basement bathroom (and we live on a hill) ......... Gees! (Sorry, I'm sure no one wants to see the pics..:D )

Now, this .........a storm last night took out my windshield!:eek:

Yeah, I know! It should have been parked inside..:mad::eek:

SafeLite ......... Friday morning will replace with tint and new rubber for $245.00. That's far cheaper than I expected.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A bit of an update:

I've not done much at all to the Van since the last post. However, I've been planning/working on the exhaust system. I come to the conclusion that addressing the exhaust system is the #1 item.

So, I purchased 304 Stainless piping to go with the new stainless muffler and resonator. The drawings for the flange at the turbo are at the shop for plasma cutting (stainless). Hopefully I'll be able to piece it together next week.

I have (on paper) prepared for a complete re-do of the wiring circuits under the back seat. I put the schematic (parts) together a couple of weeks ago.. just finding the time to do it is the biggie.:rolleyes:

Lastly, unless the deal falls through, I'll be picking up a 1984 tin-Top Vanagon in a few days ........... automatic!:D

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
Andy, nice build. I did not want to post in your TDI summary thread so I came here.
Do you think the input shaft upgrade was really mandatory, considering your experience? I have a project in mind and I'm gathering info now.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Andy, nice build. I did not want to post in your TDI summary thread so I came here.
Do you think the input shaft upgrade was really mandatory, considering your experience? I have a project in mind and I'm gathering info now.
I see only one advantage: It's cheaper to purchase a TDI clutch kit as a package vs buying a TDI Pressure Plate and a Vanagon Clutch Disc separately.

I don't give my TDI/Vanagon hybrid/combo clutch any slack, no slipping and shifts good!

In hind-sight, for me it does not provide an immediate benefit, as I already have an extra "new" TDI pressure plate and Vanagon clutch disc (both Sachs) that I got in a deal (cheap) about the same time I purchased the pilot shaft.

So, going from scratch, it would probably be a good investment to purchase the input shaft!

I don't think it is listed anywhere now. But I do have the guy's e-mail address. (Search for 094 Input shaft in the Samba.com...)