A6 2005 6 speed automatic

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Hello, recently I got 2005 A6 with 3.0TDI engine and 6 speed automatic transmission. This is my first auto car and I am concerned about transmission. I wonder if it is normal for auto to hold higher rpm until speed catches up and then rpms drop by like 200-400 rpm in same gear. For example when going a little bit more throttle than normal it will hold like 2600rpm until speed increases then it drops rpm and continues in same gear. After it switches to 3rd gear same happens it hold previous gear rpm until sufficient speed. This does not happen with Sport mode or Manual

I am used to manual and this feels super weird. Transmission is smooth no jerks or anything. I do have plans to change fluid as I am not sure when it was done last time

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
You are feeling the converter locking up, and yes that is perfectly normal.
Thank you makes me feel better about the car. I have few question, did an oil change, filled with 5w30 7.5L correct spec oil. After driving for like 50km oil stayed the same color it was when filled but I noticed clouds of blue smoke after sitting idle for 5 mins and pressing accelerator. Drove 50 more and this did not happen again, oil became dark. It throws small puff of blue smoke when going off stop light (same happened with my old 1.9tdi so I assume it is normal for older diesel)

Also noticed that after car has been warmed up if left for 20 mins and started again there is some weird sound for like 1 second but it is not chain rattle. Does not happen in the morning when engine is cold.

Could it be because of my starter? When warmed up it spins like one revolution then lights dim (sounds like when battery is empty) and it starts instantly after that. Alternator charges perfectly, new battery.

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Forgot to add that it idles perfectly, no smoke on cold start up or idle, no fault codes recorded

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Ok so managed to find/fix all issues except blueish smoke after sitting idle when warm. Is this injector issue or turbo? Oil is not increasing or decreasing.

If car sits at stop light and I move away it throws small cloud of bluesmoke after that nothing until I stop and sit idle

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I may be wrong, sounds like valve stems? How
Many miles/km on her?

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
So it was injectors, 6 new injectors later car runs like new without any smoke. Did injectors myself, had scary moment when copper washer fell into the head.