97 B4v Glx Tdi

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
please say yes and do it to my new GLX wagon!

Ahem, I mean, good work JB! I look forward to seeing it sometime.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
codeblue said:
I think the important question is if you had to do this all over again, would you?
From a financial point I think it is justifiable. The insurance buy-back on the TDI was $800. The GLX was $3300. I spent under $150 in assorted tools, tool rental and fasteners. I'd estimate the finished car is reasonably saleable at $6500. Those numbers imply that the value has gone up almost $2200 for my work. That is ignoring the sale value of the VR6 and transmission and electronics and wiring that I have yet to sell.
But if I had to also account for the support, labor, discounted sale price of the parts I purchased from other members, parts and service in-lieu-of-rental on the loaner A3, then No, it makes no fiscal sense. There is no way I could afford to compensate adequately for that aid.
The fact the weather has co-operated by providing me with glorious and dry weekends when I needed to be outside working and rained on the weekend days when I was able to work indoors, can't be discounted in making this endeavour possible. Had the days of precipitation not been as fortuitous is timing, this would have gone on LONG into the winter.
The answer to the question goes deeper than that though. I did this because I wouldn't be happy with anything less or anything costing more. I think I did well to find (make) a 97 TDI wagon with heated leather, ABS, traction control, CD, alloy wheels, and more for $4500.
But would I do it again? ......(that was about a 20 second pause, folks) Probably not.
The next one will be an automatic.:eek:

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Woot! @ Jon

LOL @ Scott & ninedee

Looking forward to seeing the new car Jon, hopefully it will break 100mpg.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
After you do a couple of them it becomes second nature. All the surprises are gone and it's pretty routine. Buy another one and you'll be done in half the time or less.
So, heaven forbid, I am one day in need of another B4V you will be available to make on for me out of a GLX? If so, how much do you think it would cost to do so?

Lug_Nut

TDI
Some are NEVER satisfied!

Good News: The MFA trip meters go to 4.1 digits. No more 0.0 following 999.9.:)
Bad News: The fuel economy display only shows 2.1 digits. Maximum is 99.9 mpg.:p
My first five mile trip had the display bouncing between 97 and the 99.9 marks. Of course the trip to down town is truly down to town. Only after getting on the interstate did it return to a more believable 51 mpg.

It runs fine.
A few creaks from the rear cargo area. I think from the foam tool insert in the spare tire.
The cruise control is reluctant to engage. It appears to be the switch contact in the stalk is at fault and not the pedal switches.
The left rear speaker isn't working. The radio and speaker have been swapped out with no success. It appears to be in the wiring, maybe the door hinge area, but the boot looks OK.
Everything else is up and fully functional.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Exciting stuff! I can imagine you are extremely pleased! Keep this one out of harm's way ... there are more diesel haters out there than most realize ;)

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Congratulations, Jon!

I think the thing that made Scott most "thankful" last weekend was hearing that call when you held the cell under the hood with the world's newest B4V TDI running! If I didn't know you both better, I'd think there was a kid involved.... :eek:

Keep your skills tuned--I have this great idea where I can find earth shattering deals on B4V GLXes, you can come up with the engines and you and Scott can keep the B4V market happy!! Good idea, no?

Lug_Nut

TDI
The TDI's radiator received damage to the right end tank. It was easier to use the GLX's.
The TDI's fan motor and shroud was also quite beyond repair. I had a fan and shroud set from the Black sedan in storage. That black set was left over after a radiator side tank crack in the black one had me install the rad and fan/shroud assembly (faster than changing the rad only) retained from the Pearl Red sedan.
I could have used the GLX fans in the current conversion, but the three speed unit has a different plug and relay than the two speed TDI version. I didn't want to "cut and paste" the GLX fan relay control wiring harness into the TDI harness, so I took the easier of the two paths available to me and mounted the complete TDI fan set on the GLX rad.
Confused as to what car donated what? I am, too. I may yet make an inventory of what items on this 4th Passat came from where.

Lug_Nut

TDI
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
That is what I always do, just rewire the fan circuits back to the fuse panel. I was just checking to see if you found an easier way.
I did. See my prior post.
Lug_Nut said:
I took the easier of the two paths available to me and mounted the complete TDI fan set on the GLX rad.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
nice job.. I plan to glx my '96 tdi variant in the spring..doing the 5 lug, brakes and spring swap and cluster mod. Do you still have the interoir from your red wagon? if so I would like to buy it. I looks like it is black. I am looking for black interior bits.. I have some sedan bits but no wagon bits, and I don't like my tan interior..
let me know,
thanks,
De

Lug_Nut

TDI
The interior is already in use elsewhere.
Keep the TDI front springs. The VR6 is a vastly heavier engine. I still have the VR springs installed at the moment and the front sits about 2 inches higher with the lighter weight TDI up there.
Don't forget the steering rack, tie rods, and the lower control arms required for use with the five bolt hubs.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I've been wondering, do you think one might just keep the ( TRW ) steering rack and just swap the outer tie rod ends instead of using the ZF rack when doing this conversion?

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
The white wagon just got a replacement rack and it came from a VR6...works great, wife happy = me happy :)

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
mummn I was planing on using the vr6 springs at all for corners for more weight carrying and higher ride height...
Thanks
Deo

Lug_Nut

TDI
The impact of the accident was sufficient to break the TDI rack. It was, after inspecting the total damage, quite a hard hit.
The control arms and the hub carriers have different part numbers. The TRW outer tie rod ends are specific to left or right. The ZF outers don't have the offset bend and are swappable side to side. These and other issues were what led me to leave the GLX suspension and steering alone.
The TDI and VR6 rear springs appear to be the same rate. The ETKa bears this out with a choice of two rear springs: sedan or wagon.
The front springs have a choice of five:
1.9 manual without A/C, and 2.0 manual and auto without A/C;
2.0 manual with A/C;
1.9 auto without A/C;
1.9 manual and auto with A/C;
and finally VR6 auto and manual.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jeez. Lug_Nut was kind enough to walk me through the ETKA permutations of ZF versus TRW steering gear on B4s. I have to admit, more than I thought I'd ever need to know. However, I couldn't get my B4 aligned yesterday becasue it needs a passenger side inner tie rod. Life goes on.

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 99.5 Golf (Blue), Ex 96 Passats (Blue & Grey), Ex 97 Passat(Green)
Awesome

Congratulations Jonathan!!!!

Great Job

I look forward to seeing this work of art at 'Fest 07.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
One step forward, two steps back I always say.

The glx radiator is wider than the tdi's, which also makes the fan cowl wider. How did you manage to get the tdi fans onto the glx radiator, make a bracket or two ? Also, if you used the tdi fans on the glx radiator, how did you not have to exchange the fan control harness from the tdi to the glx, or vice versa ?

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
I just went out to my parts supply and re-checked. The shroud for the B4 VR6 fans has a horizontal bolt spacing of about 755 mm. It fits perfectly on a leaky TDI radiator removed from my second B4. That match, and the fact that I had no issues with mounting the TDI fans and shroud to the VR6 radiator, make me unable to offer advice on why yours is different.
I removed the entire GLX harnesses from the front seats forward and installed the entire TDI harnesses from the front seats forward. So I DID exchange the fan control harness. This decision to gut and re-fill, rather than cut and paste, made the operation more comprehensible to me. It did mean that I also gutted the oil temp and outside air temp sensors the MFA was using. Those had to be later identified and extracted from the GLX harnesses for use in the TDI.

Last edited: