810 miles on one tank!!!

hopcarolina

TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Corrado TDI
Well for the first full fuel run, I made 810 miles. Averaged 50.9 MPG. Sure beats the heck out of that 18 MPG Blazer I was driving.

I have only had this '00 Jetta for four weeks. It was the first time for the fuel light to come on. I had to go 52 miles to make 800. Ended upgoing 62 miles with fuel light on. I was getting nervous. Not sure how hard to prime fuel system after run out. I would like to know the limit of my gauge...

Next up is the CTS and thermostat. Then tranny fluid change. I need to decide on a good tranny oil.

Have a grateful day

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Jetta wagon?
According to the OP's profile, it's a 2000 Jetta which means it couldn't be a Wagon because they weren't available until 2002.

hopcarolina said:
Well for the first full fuel run, I made 810 miles. Averaged 50.9 MPG.
That's great stuff! Congrats and enjoy your "new" car and all it has to offer. You may want to keep discussions about fuel economy in the
TDI Fuel Economy section. :D

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
I have only had this '00 Jetta for four weeks. It was the first time for the fuel light to come on. I had to go 52 miles to make 800. Ended upgoing 62 miles with fuel light on. I was getting nervous. Not sure how hard to prime fuel system after run out. I would like to know the limit of my gauge...
That sounds about right. I usually go 50-60 miles after the light comes on, and then the needle is more or less on empty, and it takes 16.5-16.8 gallons to fill. I've also gone 80 miles after the light comes on, and then the needle is a bit below empty and I'm a lot more nervous. If there's 1.9 gallons left when the light comes on (like the manual says), that's 75 miles (at 50 mpg) to 90 miles (60 mpg).

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I got 800.7 miles on a tank back in Sept of '03 with my 2000 Jetta. The light/beep come on at 795 and I exited in 5 miles and filled-up. Of course, that was on a road trip running between 65 and 70 with two people and luggage. It took 14.746 gallons, which according to my spreadsheet was -54.3 MPG. That was the only time I have ran it past 800 miles.

I don't think the light/beep comes on at the same level now as back then. In fact, the beep/light come on now when the gauge pointer is almost toward the end of the RED. I let it run down a while back until the beep/light come on. That tank was way less than 800 miles and just under 49 mpg (mixed driving).

2002MK4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
One of the things I have always wanted to know is will a REALLY long high speed road trip 120Km/H actually clean our ALH engines out? [i.e. intakes, EGRs and other stuff] making them theoretically more efficient as they go along???

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
One of the things I have always wanted to know is will a REALLY long high speed road trip 120Km/H actually clean our ALH engines out? [i.e. intakes, EGRs and other stuff] making them theoretically more efficient as they go along???
Unless there's some hills, passing with gutso, or high speed (135 km/h or higher) EGTs and boost don't really get high enough.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I did two 800 mile tanks, and IIRC the LFL was on for ~60 miles. Mine is an automatic transmission. We need to specify the type of transmission for comparison purposes.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
JB, that is an accomplishment, particularly when autos are so often dissed around here.

I have been getting excellent mileage out of my 4-dr lately, what with warmer temps and some other 'repairs' to the EGR. Still, even after going 810 miles on 15.26 gallons, I have to run up and down some 7% grades during my daily commute, and I'm reluctant to push it for fear of having the fuel pickup suck air at a bad time. :(

CustomShirt

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
I joined the 800 mile club today!
Started yesterday morning in Weed, CA and drove to Palm Springs and then this morning started in PS and drove to Temecula, CA... at 800.2 I filled up and put 16.432 gallons into the tank... my best fuel average ever, at 48.6 MPG.
Cruise control was set at 75 mph and I only had stop and go around Sacramento for a few miles. I am quite happy and I am sure that I could go over 50 MPG, if I would go around 65 MPH... but I want to get there eventually :eek:)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Nice going!
Personally done 800 mile tanks many times, common in warmer weather.
Only done a couple 900+ mile tanks.
If that is an autobox thats really good.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
... Ended upgoing 62 miles with fuel light on. I was getting nervous. Not sure how hard to prime fuel system after run out. I would like to know the limit of my gauge...
My owners manual says there's approx. 7 litres left when the low fuel light comes on. That's about 1.85 US gallons.
Also do not run out of fuel on the side of the road, unless you have tools, and a mityvac, or a spare starter motor.
As far as mileage goes, you'll see lots of threads stating XXX miles/kms per tank. Which really doesn't mean anything, because some tanks are vented, while others fill slowly to prevent foaming, or wait for a few minutes to let the fuel settle then fill some more, etc.
IMHO track your mileage by mpg or l/100kms that way you can do a true comparison.
FYI... I get 47.01 US mpg or 56.44 Imp mpg or 5.01 l/100kms.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I did two 800 mile tanks, and IIRC the LFL was on for ~60 miles. Mine is an automatic transmission. We need to specify the type of transmission for comparison purposes.

OK, I'm really curious about driving style and tank filling. I've gotten 600 mile tanks. 800 miles? In an auto, BEW? I'd like to try, so what are the methods.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think I had more highway miles than usual, plus it was during the Summer, IIRC. Older tires, with less tread may have contributed also because I seem to have taken a mileage hit with my newer Michelins. Plus I drove over 60 miles with the LFL on which I don't try to do anymore. I removed my vent valve and years ago I installed a second fuel temperature sensor mounted behind the battery so that the ECU cannot retard the timing due to hot fuel. The original is still in place and the harness transferred to the 2nd sensor.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Yeah, I've done the 60 miles with the "low level" on, but I've never been able to fit more than 14 gallons of fuel even with a good burping. Does the ventectomy really give you that much more capacity (say, 16 gallons)? At my average mpg I'd have to cram 19 gallons to hit 800 miles for a tank... or slow WAY down. I can get in the high 40's mpg if I stick the cruise control at 60 mph, but even that wouldn't get me anywhere near 800. Plus going slow in the slow lane is an invitation to be rear ended anymore. Maybe I'll try drafting behind some slow moving big rig.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
It does make it much easier to fill right up to the top of the neck which for me is close to 2 gals.
Is an 05 "ventectable"?

dieselboy04'

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Yes, they are. Mine is. The closest I've come to 800 is shy of 750 and I was getting kinda nervous.

It does make it much easier to fill right up to the top of the neck which for me is close to 2 gals.
Is an 05 "ventectable"?

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
Also do not run out of fuel on the side of the road, unless you have tools, and a mityvac, or a spare starter motor.
Or the number for the tow truck, that's what I did. Insurance company reimbursed me for the charge since I have emergency road coverage. It wasn't too bad getting it going again, and it took about 17.2 gallons to fill. Ran out at 1089 miles!

CustomShirt

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Well done R.. New shirt coming soon???
LOL... I am still debating, but I should make some shirt for that. Right now I am playing with a sticker that says:

Mt running fuel mileage is 42.5 MPG and I don't pussy-foot or have to worry about replacing expensive batteries!

Oh, in the spirit of disclosure... mine is a 2003 Wagon with manual 5-Speed tranny... never seen the 50MPH the thing is supposed to get on the freeway... must be while driving 55MPH.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
LOL... I am still debating, but I should make some shirt for that. Right now I am playing with a sticker that says:

Mt running fuel mileage is 42.5 MPG and I don't pussy-foot or have to worry about replacing expensive batteries!

Oh, in the spirit of disclosure... mine is a 2003 Wagon with manual 5-Speed tranny... never seen the 50MPH the thing is supposed to get on the freeway... must be while driving 55MPH.
Better run a spell check before printing those shirts.....
You should see 50 mpg at anything up to about 65 mph fairly easily with that 5 speed wagon.