2015 tdi with p0087 engine code

Levi wisti

TDI
Crua tdi
I have been having this problem where my tdi would suddenly lose power and I would get a p0087 low fuel rail pressure code. I replaced the fuel metering valve with a darkside developments upgraded one and after I did that it started throwing the same code and going into limp mode every single time I floored it. I then replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and it caused it to go into limp mode every time I try to accelerate at all. I checked the fuel filter and the hpfp screen and couldn’t see any signs of metal shavings so I am hesitant to think it is the hpfp going out. Anyone else have this problem or have any advice on how I can fix this.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Could be the HPFP. But, without signs of metal, it's also possible it's the metering valve on the pump rather than the entire pump itself. Though, VW does not sell the part separate, there are some vendors that can get it separately from Bosch.

You will also want to double check and make sure that the low pressure side of things is working as it should. Measure fuel pressure and flow from the in-tank pump. Should be somewhere around 65 PSI on a 2015 engine, IIRC.

Levi wisti

TDI
Crua tdi
Update: I hooked it up to a fuel pressure gauge and started it up it read a healthy 64 psi while idling and 80 when I revved it. I then hooked up vcds and went to try to start it again and it would not start there was no smoke coming out the exhaust so I’m thinking it’s fuel related. I took a log of when I was cranking on it and I am hoping someone can tell me why it won’t start now Cranking data log.

tdimaxpro

TDI
Jetta CAYC 1.6 TDI
Is your engine code CAY_? If so, in this engine you need to check if the amount of fuel that comes from filter to HPFP is at least 600ml in 30 seconds, you need VCDS to run the lift pump (there is no need to check fuel pressure AFAIK)
If the fuel amount is below this specific amount, then you need to check if your fuel filter is clogged or maybe your lift pump is damaged or leaking fuel lines.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Engine code for OP is CRUA. In NA we dont have anything below a 1.9L TDI that stopped in 2006. Fuel pressure for a 1.6 would vary compared to a 2.0 with higher output.

That being said, Have you checked the easy things? Fuel filter, the housing for any metals. I would pull the metering valve to see if there is anything in there.

Levi wisti

TDI
Crua tdi
Engine code for OP is CRUA. In NA we dont have anything below a 1.9L TDI that stopped in 2006. Fuel pressure for a 1.6 would vary compared to a 2.0 with higher output.

That being said, Have you checked the easy things? Fuel filter, the housing for any metals. I would pull the metering valve to see if there is anything in there.
It is a 2.0 crua tdi. The filter looks clean, I pulled it out and shown a flashlight on it, no sign of any metal shavings. I also pulled the metering valve out and the screen was also spotless. I went ahead and ordered a brand new fuel pressure regulator so I will update this thread when I get that in the mail on the 18th or 20th. (It has a new upgraded fuel metering valve from darkside developments)

Levi wisti

TDI
Crua tdi
Update: I ordered some used injectors because the fuel regulator valve didn’t fix the problem. Got the injectors in today and that has fixed the problem all four of my injectors were shot. I did a leak off test with the new ones and there is virtually no leak off compared to the old ones.