2015 TDI Oil Temperature Range

TDI
Passat TDI SE
I took a two hour drive, the outside temperature was 85F / 29C the Passat oil temp got up to 244F / 117C .

I was driving at 85mph / 136 km/h.

Is this normal oil temp range?
It has 49k miles on it, dealer had did a full service and replaced heater core one week before 🤷🏻‍♂️

2015 TDI Dash Oil Temp

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My oil temp normally runs higher as I go faster, running at 128/130 kph for an hour I see 105c, at say 90/100kph, 95c-100c. Air temps can run in the 80-90’s F. 117c seems on the high side.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
244f is a little high but you may have caught a regen. We're typically at 210-230F for oil temp.

Are you reading oil temp via the cluster? I've seen coolant temp that high during regens, but can't say I've seen oil temp that high unless I was driving that speed up along grade.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They can run some pretty high oil temps. Can't say yet for the CVCA, but the CKRAs are blowing the valve covers and oil filter housings regularly now (have one here today, one coming in, and just did one a couple weeks ago) and the plastic is just COOKED. You have to chisel the remains of the petrified valve cover seal off the cylinder head. Especially on the back side.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Mine gets 250F @ 75MPH today. When climbing up a mountain getting the Oil Temp past 260F increases the needle on the coolant. I try not to overheat the engine or coolant much as possible.

TDI
Passat TDI SE
They can run some pretty high oil temps. Can't say yet for the CVCA, but the CKRAs are blowing the valve covers and oil filter housings regularly now (have one here today, one coming in, and just did one a couple weeks ago) and the plastic is just COOKED. You have to chisel the remains of the petrified valve cover seal off the cylinder head. Especially on the back side.
CKRAs and CVCA ???

TDI
Passat TDI SE
So what do you guys think I should be looking at for causes of higher oil temp ranges?

What maintenance do you recommend?

oilhammer

TDI
The "cause" is in its design. It already has one of THE most complicated cooling systems ever, and the design of the engine oil heat exchanger is such that you couldn't easily change that as it is made on to the top of the oil filter adapter housing. I suppose you could figure out a way to tap into the oil supply and run an external oil-to-air cooler, like some older cars did, but you'd want some form of thermostat on it and you'd also be adding even more complexity to an already cramped engine bay.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
@oilhammer thank you for sharing your experiences. Of course, I won't be first to confirm issues with the oil cooler. The original lasted 100k, so I am hopeful the replacement will get us safely to 200k. However, interesting info about valve covers on CKRA. Mine is starting to slowly sweat oil from the valve cover. Interestingly, it almost looks like it sweats from the plastic weld joint at the very top, not far from where PCV valve lives. The sweating then accumulates some oil on top of the mound and over time, it rolls down into the injector wells, where it collects. Every oil change, I clean that oil up a bit so it does not accumulate. Rather have it leak somewhere where I can clean it up than all over the engine if it did the other way. But I am afraid once I start doing the timing belt job at 130k miles, I will have to strongly think about replacing the valve cover at the same time. @oilhammer would you recommend waiting to timing belt change at the recommended interval? The car is driven much less than it used to, it barely gets 10k miles in a year, when in the past I was easily clocking 10k miles in 5 to 6 months. Wonder if time (vs mileage) may play significant role in belt life. And I reckon, best to replace the valve cover before it gets completely cooked? Do you think this cooking started to happen after the self-sacrificing "fix" or as original factory design?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@Informationkid as far as your question, it is without a doubt that VW is running significantly hotter than even their other German competitors. It always caught me by surprise that with regular city driving, that coolant would go over 100 degrees C. Likely for the sake of efficiency and maybe engine comfort, but at expense of cooking everything in its path. I started to routinely change coolant on my vehicle and changed from G13 that contains glycerin to G12++ that does not. Many have suggested that glycerin is being cooked out of solution and causes all the nasty deposits. I also purchased a spare heater core, because it will unfortunately remain "maintenance item" at least for me. at $15 a core, it is a cheap insurance to have --- moment it clogs and stops blowing hot air, I will replace it and be done with it. And lastly, consistent oil changes. I never sent mine to Blackstone for Passat, but my 10K OCI on a diesel BMW engine shows plenty of life left and good metal levels at 10k miles, so I decided to stick to manufacturer suggested intervals. I think regular maintenance is all you need, otherwise just enjoy the car. It is a pleasure to drive!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
The OP's engine should be using a 2 stage pressure oil pump..... if all fluids and other components are in proper check, the pump may not be switching between low\high pressure stages correctly.... but I would suspect a DTC if this was the case. Start with the basics since the system was "cracked" open recently.....

oilhammer

TDI
This is quite normal with a lot of modern car engines. They crank the temps up as high as they can, as fast as they can. All for lower emissions, only now it is quite clear that it is at the cost of engine reliability and longevity.

TDI
Passat TDI SE
@Informationkid as far as your question, it is without a doubt that VW is running significantly hotter than even their other German competitors. It always caught me by surprise that with regular city driving, that coolant would go over 100 degrees C. Likely for the sake of efficiency and maybe engine comfort, but at expense of cooking everything in its path. I started to routinely change coolant on my vehicle and changed from G13 that contains glycerin to G12++ that does not. Many have suggested that glycerin is being cooked out of solution and causes all the nasty deposits. I also purchased a spare heater core, because it will unfortunately remain "maintenance item" at least for me. at $15 a core, it is a cheap insurance to have --- moment it clogs and stops blowing hot air, I will replace it and be done with it. And lastly, consistent oil changes. I never sent mine to Blackstone for Passat, but my 10K OCI on a diesel BMW engine shows plenty of life left and good metal levels at 10k miles, so I decided to stick to manufacturer suggested intervals. I think regular maintenance is all you need, otherwise just enjoy the car. It is a pleasure to drive!
Thank you for replying, you have given me some good things to think about. The oil temp rise to this level, only after the heater core was replaced at the VW dealership.

Coolant without glycerin is interesting :)

TDI
Passat TDI SE
The OP's engine should be using a 2 stage pressure oil pump..... if all fluids and other components are in proper check, the pump may not be switching between low\high pressure stages correctly.... but I would suspect a DTC if this was the case. Start with the basics since the system was "cracked" open recently.....
please tell me more !

Last edited:
TDI
Passat TDI SE
FYI:

VW Dealership replaced Heater Core mid October.

I drove it for 2-3 days after repairs and still smelled coolant. They said it’s probably coolant that is still on or around the engine, burning off from when the hose broke.

VW Dealership, drove it into the shop and did a coolant system pressure test and said it had no leaks.

Then we went on our road trip, where oil temp is now higher then before the heater hose & core replaced.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone correct me if I am wrong. But what I understand is that the heater core is part of the coolant circuit that also cools EGR circuit. EGR is naturally very hot due to exhaust gasses being pumped through it. So if there was a blockage in heater core, there would also be reduction in EGR cooling. Hence some that have this happen end up throwing a code for EGR cooling efficiency. Which then suggests that if the flow is restored through EGR system, it would cool an otherwise hot part of your engine, then some of that heat would be transferred to oil through the oil cooler. Here, the oil cooler works both ways - it warms engine oil when car is cold (coolant warms up quicker and is helped by EGR circuit too) and the cools oil when at operating temp. But that may be just a hunch. After all, who is to say they did not introduce contaminants that somehow clogged something downstream causing reduced oil-coolant efficiency. All is possible. And I am not quite sure how similar CKRA engines to the new ones in MY2015.

oilhammer

TDI
Here is a pic of my Vanagon getting a workout one summer day:

You want to talk about hot oil, LOL.... No EGR or DPF or any of that nonsense to worry about, though.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Before we get all technical about this engine, I highly suggest that you take it back to the dealer and have them properly bleed the coolant system that they just serviced... I'm fairly confident that they left air pockets in there based on what you're saying.

AbbyKnowsIt

TDI
2015 Passat
So guys, I'm new to all this techno mumble jumble. What is CKRAs and CVCA?

My 2015 passat's oil is getting to 245 - 255 degrees. At 255 a plastic fitting on the coolant melts/breaks and the car needs to be towed.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. The coolant system is fine. I've pressure tested it for hours. Not a drop leaks. I think my problem is that the oil is getting far too hot.

Side note: My heater core has been on the fritz too. So I think should start there.

But I'm not sure....

1) change heater core
2) replace oil cooler?
3) take apart intercooler and look for sludge?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Abs

Last edited:

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
CKRA (years 2012-2014) and CVCA (2015+) are engine codes for NMS (New Mid-size Sedan) Passat. They are both TDIs, but with many differences.

I would agree with starting with the heater core if you are having troubles there.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Coolant loop through the oil may have also clogged similar to your heater core. If the coolant doesn't flow through the oil loop, she'll get mighty toasty.

AbbyKnowsIt

TDI
2015 Passat
Coolant loop through the oil may have also clogged similar to your heater core. If the coolant doesn't flow through the oil loop, she'll get mighty toasty.
I think you're referring to the oil cooler? I also presume the oil cooler is not air cooled thusly--true?

How would I find where the coolant loop is clogged?

Thanks, Abs

AbbyKnowsIt

TDI
2015 Passat
I'm now convinced my problem is auxiliary water pump. I saw a video on youtube that says the aux pump sends coolant to the egr and heater core. If you get no heat in the passenger compartment when the car is red hot, that's your issue. Also my egr died recently from overheating. So.... I think this is it.

video:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
again if the coolant system is clogging it could be one of countless parts of the coolant system that are failing, you're just finding one then the next.

AbbyKnowsIt

TDI
2015 Passat
You're right. I think the key point (that I haven't yet mentioned) is that my coolant temperature hits 235 degrees with the car off. But never goes over 194 with the car on. And many times I've had coolant under my car for no apparent reason when I leave my driveway.