my manual 2.0 Golf tow? (5 dr)
The Brits say 1600 kg with brakes.

Sound about right to you fellas ?

Thx

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They have better hitches over there than we do here. Ours are limited to 2000lbs usually. Any heavier than that you need to buy a European hitch and install it and brakes and such or build one yourself to handle the weight. Otherwise just follow the guides on the hitch used. Lots of posts on hitches and what people tow here if you search.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My A4 Golf's proper OEM type hitch is rated to 3300 pounds, I suspect a similar hitch for your A7 is similar.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I fully support and practice towing with smallish cars, but I can think of plenty of situations where I would not want 3300 pounds behind a Golf.

oilhammer

TDI
I look at it this way: what is the difference between towing 3300 pounds with a 3000 pound car vs. towing 10,000 pounds with a 4500 pound truck?

My Golf actually pulls weight easier than my F150. The Golf is also better suited to high(er) tongue loads than the Jetta due to the shorter overhang in the back. The hitch ball is closer to the rear axle. Although using a tow dolly to tow another car (something I've done a LOT with my Golf) has no tongue load anyway. And *that* takes some very careful driving due to how the car can be "pushed" in turns. But I've never had any issues or even close calls. I tend to drive pretty careful and defensively anyway, but triple so while towing.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
Wow ....Excellent response!! Thanks everyone.The reason I ask is that I have
discovered Prolite trailers from Quebec.
Very lightweight, seemed to be quality.

I am not a Prolite salesman.lol.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
They have better hitches over there than we do here. Ours are limited to 2000lbs usually. Any heavier than that you need to buy a European hitch and install it and brakes and such or build one yourself to handle the weight. Otherwise just follow the guides on the hitch used. Lots of posts on hitches and what people tow here if you search.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
Thanks flyer I will search your database
for lightweight trailers.
I’m looking for NON pop up...a box on
an axle that is comfortable and lightweight.

Cheers

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Try here for starters:

My current Beetle won't take a hitch due to the
DEF tank being in the way it says. ETrailer.com

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anything under 1500 lbs should be fairly easy even without brakes on the trailer. My 2006 Jetta did that much very easy. My 2003 Beetle even pulled cars (bigger than it) home on a dolly many times. I would like to have brakes at heavier weights and/or hills/mountains.

They are in Canada so they may have easier/better access to PFJones overseas to get the euro hitches available. If buying new make it a condition of the sale maybe.

pfjones
Some of our vendors here also have carried them also, so might want to check with them too, especially for fitting.

As stated earlier common sense and safety should prevail!

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
I am a proponent of doing things safely,
without question.My hitch ( Reese ) is rated for 2 thousand lbs., mount and
receiver, 2” ball.
1200 to 1300 lb weight ( trlr )allows for
easily 400-500 lb of gear and a cushion.

I love the grunt and push of the TDI.

oilhammer

TDI
This is what we bought last year:

It is made by KZ, dry weight is 1700 pounds, maximum gross weight is 2600. Golf pulls is fine, but it does not like cross winds or strong head winds. But it is more the trailer's shape than anything. My F150 feels a strong headwind with it, too.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
Nice trailer Hammer.Just pull over and everything is accessible.No pull up, flip
down nonsense of a pop up.
I am older and the wife and I want easy and comfortable.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
Dannyboy-With the blow up of covid , anything outdoors, is in short supply.
Bikes,boats,camping, RV’s , campsites
The Prolites are expensive, but I see non that are as light.
It’s always a compromise , weight, efficiency, usable space.

Appreciate chatting with all you folks.

oilhammer

TDI
Wife and I decided we wanted something simple, and not too terribly fancy. Ours has no bathroom and it only has a flip out in back for an outside kitchenette. It has a 30 gal fresh water tank, a propane furnace, 12v backup, an air conditioner and mini-fridge (that requires shore power), and a tiny little sink. It also has a small propane griddle hookup that attaches to a bracket on the side. Most cooking I do while camping is on the open fire.

But, we wanted something that was large enough we didn't have to open a door to step out of bed (this ruled out the little teardrop jobs, although I did really like those!). We also wanted something that was permitted in bear country (so no soft-sides, and to be honest, pop-up campers are expensive, fragile, and generally meant to sleep a family of 40 it seems). And so long as we have our little griddle, if no open fires are permitted (dry season in some areas are like that) we can cook on that.

It is just the two of us, so it works out fine. In the future I may opt for something a little upscale but for now this suits us. This one was fairly inexpensive, too, at $9900.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
30 gallon is HUGE!!! You could wash the car on holiday. Ha ha.
That is the same basic design that we are looking for , exactly.
Furnace , separate table seating from the bed ( 4 person), sink , fridge.
I can wire the inverter .I recently found
a dc to dc charger that charges house batteries while driving.

I always wanted a Westy. 89-90.
Just beautiful...

oilhammer

TDI
I have owned a few Westfalias, and currently have a '79 T2 and a '82 T3 passenger van. Problem with the Westys is that they've gone bonkers for pricing.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
I hear you about the pricing!! I should have bought 15 years ago.Same thing
with 911’s.
Could never really find a great Westy diesel, European models not shipped here.
Now a Westy does not seem like a wise
choice...I love the Golf too much.
That trailer you have with a TDI seems like the smart move for holidays.

oilhammer

TDI
Volkswagen sold diesel T3s here from 1981 through 1984 (I have an '82). And you could get Westy diesels here then, too. But, we only got the 1.6L detuned 48hp 1.6L, and only the very last of the ones imported were 5sp, the rest (like mine) are just 4sp. Europe later got a unique for the T3 1.7L diesel, then a 1.6L turbodiesel, which were all 5sp. The TD (JX engine) makes about 60hp, detuned from the 68hp the car versions made. Which is not as much as the waterboxers we got (87 and 95hp) but about the same as the base gasoline engine they got. They also got a higher compression 110hp waterboxer as well.

You could also get the syncro AWD T3s with the JX engine in Europe I think. And of course, we got no commercial vehicles at all during that time, '71 T2s being the last for us, which kind of sucks.

TDI&Chips44

TDI
2015 Golf 6 spd
Aren’t you a well of info !
Why VAG has not exploited our commercial truck market with their global array of capable products,
is a frikken mystery.
Eurovan double cabs, cool flatbeds,
Amorak ? Spelling may be wrong.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I have to find the picture of the overloaded 2 wheel cart attached to a donkey with all four feet in the air. Caption says:
"Don't overload your ass."

Common sense is all too uncommon.

As for pulling big loads with a small vehicle, it ends up being a matter of the ability of the frame to accept it. When you can't put 80 psi tires under it, or overload springs, or trailer brakes behind it, etc., etc, you have to consider your life expectancy. I have had several incidents that if is weren't for the proper trailering setup, not only I, but those around me have an increased risk.

I put a Euro hitch on my buddies MB E320, which, strangely enough, is designed to accept that hitch. Onto that hitch, he attached a bobcat trailer and then put 3,000 lbs of rock onto it. Knowing how that hitch is designed and how much it's supposed to hold, how the frame looks, plus the way the rear shocks sagged, I think 30mph was still a dangerous speed.

I don't know if any of you considered this, but if you aren't following safe standards and exceeding acceptable limits, you may void your warranty, if you have one, but you definitely have a liability on your insurance coverage, that in a wreck, you may be denied coverage. Your insurance will not cover you if you are breaking the law. It may not cover you if you are exceeding reasonable limits.

I wonder if the Euro hitch would bend before it breaks...

Last thing... We had a customer show up with a very small trailer pulled by a New Beetle. The Trailer was a Scamp, and I used to work for them years and years ago. Cute, small and aerodynamic. They offered electric brakes as an option, which he didn't take. After nearly flipping his rig from a brush-up with a car, he's wishing he had them put on. He jackknifed the trailer. I'm thinking he is going back to install them. Luckily, he still has that option.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Aren’t you a well of info !
Why VAG has not exploited our commercial truck market with their global array of capable products,
is a frikken mystery.
Eurovan double cabs, cool flatbeds,
Amorak ? Spelling may be wrong.
VW Group owns truck makers MAN, Scania, and they just bought controlling interest in International. Scania is to be the leader in designing big trucks and Scanias have been sighted around International's Chicago area HQ. Scania is sending engineers to America, hiring engineers to do the EPA emissions certification, and International"s Alabama engine plant is being tooled up to produce a new engine, probably Scania's. FFI: https://www.scania.com