2003 TDI Shutter on shut down.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
Car runs fine. Is this my anti-shudder valve? I have searched and have not found this problem. The engine shutters when I kill it???

270,200 miles, 2 timing belts and lots of oil changes. No problems until now and I'm not sure it's a problem??

I'm thinking a intake/egr cleaning???

Opinions.

Karl

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Check the vacuum line where it connects to the vacuum pump and the nipple on the pump itself. You're probably losing vacuum as soon as the engine stops and there is not enough stored in the vacuum reservoir to activate the anti shudder valve. Could be a vacuum leak anywhere, but those are the most common areas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sometimes the solenoid sticks, too. They also sometimes have their little holder tab thingie break and then the fall down on the intake and let the vac line to the actuator rub through. Probably isn't a leak on the source side since then your turbo wouldn't work correctly. And while it is also common to see chaffed/rubbed through wires going to the solenoid, that would trigger a fault and turn on the MIL.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
With that many miles, the vacuum pump may need replacing. The vacuum should be around 27-28 inches and holding steady. Mine was at 16 inches and wavered. I know I should have seen other problems besides the "shutdown shutter" such as a hard brake pedal but the shutter was my only problem. Replacing the vacuum pump fixed the problem.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
OK: I'll stick my vacuum gage on and see what I get. Its about 100 degrees so the shop should be about 120 so this is going to be fun. I'll check back in a couple of hours after inspecting every thing. Thanks.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Agree in general with all the above. My 0.02- do yourself a favor, if the vacuum hoses are original or well worn, replace ALL of the vaccum hoses (and the vent hoses). It's not that hard to do, and often makes a big difference. The ends of the vacuum hoses become fatigued and cracked and no longer seal well on the plastic nipples, resulting in little vacuum leaks. I experienced same shutter on shutdown on my TDI, put up with it for over a year. Eventually found it was just fatigued vacuum hose (after I replaced all the hoses). The improved / restored vacuum also made a big difference in how the car ran (turbo response- because the turbo boost signal is driven by vacuum).

And... take a close look at the fat plastic pipe from vacuum pump to brake booster... these are famous for cracking and causing a vacuum leak. (often a hairline crack along the hose length, can be difficult to feel even with finger nail.)

Last edited:

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Corsair, do you remember the diameter of the hose? I don't want to start yanking a hose off since they are so old unless I have a new one to replace it. I will just buy a few feet and replace it all. Thanks.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Corsair, do you remember the diameter of the hose? I don't want to start yanking a hose off since they are so old unless I have a new one to replace it. I will just buy a few feet and replace it all. Thanks.
If you were to replace it all you would need 3 meters of 3mm ID and 2 meters of 5mm ID.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=vacuum+hose&x=0&y=0

Diagrams that are nice to have handy to help ensure that you get everything connected back correctly.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290286

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
When removing the hoses, many of them will come off easily. If you find some where part of the rubber has become "stuck" to the plastic nipple it connects to, be very careful not to break off the plastic nipple when trying to remove the hose. One solution is to use a utility knife or razor blade to cut along the length of the hose, making it easier to release off the nipple.

Again also strongly recommend take a very close look at the fat plastic pipe from vacuum pump to brake booster- look for hairline cracks.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I found several vacuum lines that are worn but the one going to what I believe is the N239 had a leak. Its the one that mounts underneath the intake manifold with a small clip. I replaced this small length of line and I am holding 26"s of vacuum with the engine off. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and it held solid.

It seems to be shutting off fine now, won't know for sure until I do my commute to Dallas tomorrow. I will replace all of the hoses when it cools off a little, probably when I do my timing belt. There is one hose that goes down the left aft side (as looking at it) that looks very worn.

Thanks for the help.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Its the one that mounts underneath the intake manifold with a small clip.
Yes, the one you describe there is in fact N239 so an issue with that hose would definitely explain your symptoms.
Make sure the new hose is retained in the clips along it's route to keep it from rubbing or melting.