www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 9th, 2010, 16:05   #1
DaveLinger
Veteran Member

Post Volkswagen TDI ALH Vacuum Diagrams (Stock & Modified)

After using aNUT's very helpful thread to help me re-do my vacuum lines, I decided to re-make his diagrams into more complete, readable, printable, noob-friendly forms. I used his diagrams in combination with TonyJetta's labels. They're color coded so that you don't start looking at one and accidentally look at a different one next time you take a glance. I named the thread very verbosely to hopefully have this thread come up when such a topic is googled.

Here are vacuum diagrams for a stock ALH, ALH with EGR delete, and ALH with EGR and ASV delete.

Images are thumbnails. Click for full-size.

Of course it goes without saying that although these are the "shortest" paths, these are not the only options. Please let me know if I missed something or messed something up.

Last edited by DaveLinger; August 9th, 2010 at 16:08.
DaveLinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 19:17   #2
MrBigTruck
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

On the diagram with the EGR and ASV removed, would it clean things up to delete the vac reservoir too? I'm pretty sure it is only used for the ASV. That would clean things up even more. I'm not totally sure about that but I think I'm gonna give it a try.
MrBigTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 19:39   #3
Milage King
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 / 46

N75 that controls your turbo runs on vacuum, but more importantly your BRAKES.
99.5 Jetta - TD Tuning, DRW 6 sp.,Peloquin, SBC Stg. 2 Clutch., 17/22,'s, Colt Stg. 2 Cam, 2.5 SS Strt Pipe, DG Skid Plate , Custom FMIC. Fsd's, GTI springs, ID rear sway bar, Hid's, 312 frt, 280 rears.
03 Jetta - stg 3 TD Tuning, full speed density.
Milage King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 20:35   #4
MrBigTruck
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

The brakes and the N75 are hooked directly (more or less) to the vacuum pump. I was referring to the vacuum reservoir. I think, though I'm not totally sure, that it is only used for the N18 and N239 operation. Diagram 3 has no N18 or N239 so it wouldn't need a reservoir if my theory is correct. Does anyone know for sure?
MrBigTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 16:59   #5
2000jettaglstdi

Fuel Economy: 35-52

I have a 2000 jetta tdi i just removed the Asv and it would seem I broke the vacuum actualor, is the turbo still gonna spool okay or did i kinda screw myself over?
2000jettaglstdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 17:14   #6
DanG144
Veteran Member

You broke the plastic vacuum actuator on the ASV? Or the Turbo metal vacuum actuator?
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 18:51   #7
2000jettaglstdi

just the plastic one, i figured it just opens and closes the plate that (no longer) blocks the air from the manifold. am i right to assume that?
Old November 4th, 2011, 22:49   #8
DanG144
Veteran Member

You are correct in what it does, but I suspect you are a bit unclear on WHEN it does it.

First, if you just block off the vacuum hose to the broken unit (or you can leave it on as long as the break is the common linkage break, which will not impact the vacuum system), then it will not impact turbo operation at all. Ensure the ASV butterfly is fixed in the OPEN position - by string, tape, tywrap, or its own spring - if the linkage is what is broken. Note that several have repaired their ASV linkages with lasting success - though the threads may be hard to find.

The ASV is only moved in two cases. Otherwise it is fully OPEN on a diesel engine.
Case one - every time you shutdown the engine, to prevent a shuddering stop.
Case two - when the EGR valve throttles, gets almost closed and still needs to reduce fresh air intake. This is a very rarely needed feature, and losing it will not impact engine operation at all.

While many people completely remove the ASV, I like to keep it functional, as it is a possible defense for a runaway engine.
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:55   #9
2000jettaglstdi

Okay, well im glad you cleared that up, i took the whole butterly off.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:21   #10
ALIKA

Default EGR delete

Hello there!

I've found this thread thanks to a Google search.

It's actually the only one I could find talking about ALH engine,but the diagram on the UK forum about PD engines is actually helpful too.

http://translate.google.fr/translate...dex%3D1&anno=2

Anyway,I'd like to participate to that EGR N18 and ASV N239 delete,since I'm in the middle of it right now.

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI ALH engine that I bought with a stripped timing belt.I never touched a TDI before (super noob) (just a M-TDI 1Z and other 1.6 and 1.9 D and Td)

I repaired the damages ( only 1 valve bent and miscellaneous stuff)

During the work,I thrown away a box with a couple things by mistake,and there was the N239 in one of them....

Engine purrs even with the timing done with no special tools ( timing belt tools are a joke,you can totally do without the ALH specific tools by the way),I dialed with a gauge at 0.98 for now,I will correct timing with a friend + Vag com)

I did a block off job on the engine,to get rid of the EGR bull****

I used a VAG block off plate to stay VW original

I would like to get rid of the N239:

>> nobody says how to measure the resistance on the connector:engine off,ignition ON but engine OFF,engine running,or engine running then turned OFF and read immediately after that? The last one seems to me the one that will work,since the info is given by the computer to close the ASV at this moment. But if somebody could tell how to do it,it will same me and other members some time
>>> I'll have to remove the flapper inside the EGR valve or block it open,correct?

I would like to get rid of the N18:

>> same thing,when to measure resistance between pins in the connector?
Also,I'm keeping the EGR valve but with a block off plate.

Option one:keeping the N18 :some people put a ball bearing to clog the vaccum tube: is it necessary if the EGR has a block off plate?I'm confused.I would say NO,no need,but please tell me.

Option two: deleting N18:remove vacuum tubing as necessary and put a resistor in the connector:that's all?

Thank you guys!!

Alex
ALIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:40   #11
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

Sorry for going off topic with #10, but...

Quote:
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI ALH engine that I bought with a stripped timing belt.I never touched a TDI before (super noob) (just a M-TDI 1Z and other 1.6 and 1.9 D and Td)

I repaired the damages ( only 1 valve bent and miscellaneous stuff)
Very often when a TB failure occurs, damage exists in valves and / or followers that is not visible. It exists in the form of small stress fractures that will result in a failure down the road. Sometimes it's just shortly down the road, other times the engine can run for thousands of miles before "the event" happens. Typically "the event" consists of a valve breaking or follower failing while the engine is running. In addition to a stripped timing belt (again), the potential exists to encounter significant impact damage from loose bits getting crunched in at least one cylinder. (There was another post on here recently, with pics of such an event).

If the car was obtained with a failed TB, and the cylinder head was not completely renovated as part of the repair, you may want to think seriously about taking the car out of service, removing the head and having it totally renovated. I understand you're in HI and may have to ship very long distance or local parts / services unusually expensive. Sorry for that. Otherwise, it remains a roulette game each time the engine is fired...

[edit] Thanks to OP, by the way, for posting the GREAT different stage vac diagrams.
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:21   #12
Lefty
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.5 MPG

Sweet, Just planed on redoing my lines soon and would like some help if I get in trouble with it.

2000 GLS Jetta TDI 48.5 MPG 293k and Counting
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:56   #13
PRA4WX
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1Zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigTruck View Post
The brakes and the N75 are hooked directly (more or less) to the vacuum pump. I was referring to the vacuum reservoir. I think, though I'm not totally sure, that it is only used for the N18 and N239 operation. Diagram 3 has no N18 or N239 so it wouldn't need a reservoir if my theory is correct. Does anyone know for sure?
Curious as to what the purpose of the reservoir would be in that scenario myself......?
PRA4WX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:08   #14
DanG144
Veteran Member

The reservoir will hold vacuum, and smooth out vacuum changes, for the N75 turbo operator. I would leave it.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 16:41   #15
Canadian_Grizzly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
The reservoir will hold vacuum, and smooth out vacuum changes, for the N75 turbo operator. I would leave it.
...and the braking system. Without reserve air a couple hard brake applications and then rock solid brake pedal. I'm of the opinion to leave things as stock as possible.

Nice diagrams BTW.

"There is lots of work to be done, if we are to achieve the kind of society people have the right to expect." Tommy Douglas

Having trouble with limp mode... Troubleshooting Low Power

Having trouble searching? Read this thread on advance search in forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133579
Canadian_Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote