1Z identification and diagnosis

chrisgt

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I bought a golf that has apparently been swapped to a 1Z out of a B4 passat (20 years ago). The swap looks completely stock, but sadly the car is really rusty and t-boned... I got it real cheap for parts; my Jetta needs some interior bits, sunroof stuff, a spare 02a is never a bad thing, etc. It has non-broken steering column surrounds, has e-code lights, including corner lights, un-cracked rain tray, and a ton of other hard-to-find mk3 parts.

Anyway, it's been sitting for several years and I just got it running (starter solenoid was frozen). Fired up on the first revolution, no pre-glow, in 25 degree weather for the first time in years. So it's hopefully a healthy engine.

First off, I'm only like 95% sure it's a 1Z... It has the long turbo oil feed line that wraps all the way around the cylinder head, unlike my 98 jetta that has an AHU.
It also has these codes:

- I'm guessing the first two are due to no 5th injector without a tune that eliminated that? I guess this furthers the assertation that it is, in fact, a 1Z.
- There is no glow plug light on the dash (since it's a golf), so I guess the next one makes sense.
- The fuel temperature sensor code seems concerning. The injection pump apparently was a brand new bosch pump with only 12k miles on it before the crash. There is still yellow anti-tamper paint on the screws, so this may be true. It appears to be an AHU pump (the front case has the waffle pattern, not smooth).
- I looked up the internal memory failure code, I came up with very little.

I did take the ECU apart and the hose going from the boost port to the MAP sensor is broken and there is some oily residue inside the ECU, could this be the cause? I'll give it a good clean with electronics cleaner, if that's the acceptable cleaning method for this unit. There don't seem to be any traces of water in the ECU.

Anyone know if these are the stock ROMs, or are these some aftermarket tune?

I'm not entirely sure what i want to do with the driveline. It's tempting to try finding another golf, I've always wanted a TDI swapped samauri, etc...
First step is figuring out if I have issues with the ECU or wiring... My bentely manual is somewhere between moving houses right now, so as I find time, I'll check the wiring from the injection pump to the ECU to make sure the fuel temp sensor isn't a wiring problem.

thanks for any input

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It could just be a bad fuel temp sensor. Especially if it was sitting, and there is rust in the top of the pump. This is an easy value to check in the data blocks.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Those chips look stock, to me. I wouldn’t think twice about using electronics cleaner; just be sure everything evaporates, prior to powering anything up. I’ve used rubbing alcohol, without issue.

-Todd

chrisgt

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Thanks, I haven't moved my electronics lab yet, so I'll bring the ECU back to my other place this weekend and clean it.
Yea, I guess it could just be the sensor... In data blocks it comes up as some ridiculous negative temperature.
I guess I can also use a voltmeter to measure its resistance since I have my daily driver parked next to it...
I don't have the triangle socket with me here, so I'll grab that next weekend as well to take a look.

What about the memory error code? This seems ominous.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The memory code is usually the small hose inside the ECU needing to be changed. It's pretty common. Electrical cleaner is your friend.

Yep, stock chips but at least the ECU is a good one, which did come stock on the 1996 B4, after the recall that is.