1974 Corvette...with a TDI?

Logdog

TDI
None at this time, but I'm putting a TDI and Toyota 5 speed into my 122 Volvo Wagon.
Just another idea

If you're looking for a 2wd alternative when using a VW diesel, check out a Volvo 240 series car with a six cylinder diesel. Volvo used the same basic VW motor in the six cylinder variation as the four cylinder variety. They used a Volvo M47 four speed with overdrive. These should bolt right up without an adapter and they could be run through a divorced transfer case.

Back to Corvette's original thread, check out buying a front clip out of Japan for a Toyota Surf. I found that you could get the entire front half of the truck for about $4,000.00. This gives you not only a turbo'ed 3 liter four cylinder, but the transmission, transfer case and front suspension plus the cooling system and all the wiring. The motors come in either a mechanical version or electronic injection. By the time you sell all the parts you don't need, the cost of the engine is quite low. This engine makes good horsepower and torque; far better than a VW will. Torque will win the day in the Vette given its weight.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
interesting idea, but good luck finding one that works... and will it hold up to 200hp/340ft-lbs? No space under a wrangler for a divorced t-case either... The stock driveshaft is only 13" long..

I kind of like the toyota surf idea, but how mod-friendly is it?

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you're looking for a 2wd alternative when using a VW diesel, check out a Volvo 240 series car with a six cylinder diesel. Volvo used the same basic VW motor in the six cylinder variation as the four cylinder variety. They used a Volvo M47 four speed with overdrive. These should bolt right up without an adapter and they could be run through a divorced transfer case.
It won't bolt straight up; the 5 and 6 cylinder variants of the VW engine used a different bolt pattern than the four-cylinder versions.

Logdog

TDI
None at this time, but I'm putting a TDI and Toyota 5 speed into my 122 Volvo Wagon.
Damn!

I had not fully checked out the interchangeability of the 4, 5 and 6 cylinder bellhousings. My question is, "Is it the transmission that doesn't mate to the bellhousing or the bellhousing doesn't mate to the block?" Or is it both. All I can think of is "Damn! It would have been so nice." Well, it's back to the VW/Toyota plan for future vehicles.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I had not fully checked out the interchangeability of the 4, 5 and 6 cylinder bellhousings. My question is, "Is it the transmission that doesn't mate to the bellhousing or the bellhousing doesn't mate to the block?" Or is it both. All I can think of is "Damn! It would have been so nice." Well, it's back to the VW/Toyota plan for future vehicles.
All the longitudinal VW 4-cylinder transmissions I've messed with seem to have integral bellhousings, unless I'm missing the bolts that remove it.

The 5/6 cylinder VW bolt pattern is not compatible with the 4 cylinder bolt pattern.

Corvette

TDI
None
Sorry I have been Gone for so long new apartment needs some internet. Anyhow I will have lots of new exciting pictures soon. For now does anyone have a nice wiring help page for my alh engine. Also does anyone know how many psi the fuel pump pushes? I have a pump out of a ford that pushes 40 will that be a problem.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
If you are using it as a pusher pump from the fuel tank, you can get a Holley regulator to get it down to 3 or 4 psi. For my Saturn TDI project, I made an in-tank bypass for the Saturn EFI fuel pump that will also act as a fuel pickup should the EFI pump go bad. I just power it with a toggle switch; the nice thing about it is whenever I have the fuel system open for any reason (like changing the fuel filter), I can just turn the pump on to refill the system...saves me a lot of work bleeding the fuel system.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
The ALH doesn't normally use a lift pump, so the VE pump is pulling directly from the tank, and putting out about 20K PSI.

Corvette

TDI
None
Are there any wiring diagrams or links with more info about what I need of this wiring mess I have to put someplace?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Pinouts & Wiring Diagrams
How to read the wiring Diagrams: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255993
Mk4 1999.5 Wiring Diagrams: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2305740&postcount=6
Mk3 & B4 Wiring Diagram***Note there are minor difference between the Mk3 and B4 The wiring diagrams are different on the cluster***: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2313317&postcount=19
Pinout discussion: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=227196
ALH Pinouts: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=238766
Mk3 and B4 ECU Part numbers: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269596
Tachometer Conversion: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269288

Please post more pictures :)

Corvette

TDI
None
Finally. The motor sticking out of the top of my car. Turns out its much taller than the v8 thats supposed to be in there. There will be some hood cutting which i am actually fine with as long as i can get this thing up and running.

Corvette

TDI
None
So as of right now i have a wiring harness layed all across my windshield and a new Vnt17 installed and the motor starts and idles. I will post some more pictures very soon. I am going to go through those wiring diagrams and see if i can figure out what i can safely take out of the harness so it will be easier to fit somewhere. At the moment i am having some issues, i tried to drive it up and down the driveway and it will rev up but then drop back down on its own. so i am thinking i may need a sensor i dont have?
Also by drive up and down the driveway i mean with the wiring harness on the windshield. the vw speedo hung inside the t-tops and my buddy running the gas pedal from the passenger seat while i run the clutch and steer! Awesome

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Creative Shifter! If that does not work well, you could have stick come straight out of tranny then bend back to where your hand likes it. Then shift would be more up and down, vs front and back. But lots of old cars were like that, reminds me of an old Volvo I drove, stick originated from way up forward. I actually LIKED the way it shifted. But I like your approach too.

Engine height: These engines are pretty tall. That is one advantage of a v-block using pushrods. Short. Some doing conversions end up modifying the stock vw oil pan to better fit over the suspension crossmember directly below. Since there are engine guts inside the pan, modifying the pan is not always practical or very productive as far as lowering. Modifying the crossmember is on the table, too. If not, then you just have to get creative with the hood.

Keep at it!! Looking good!!

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Finally. The motor sticking out of the top of my car. Turns out its much taller than the v8 thats supposed to be in there. There will be some hood cutting which i am actually fine with as long as i can get this thing up and running.

Well, there's only one acceptable solution for this problem: V6/8 TDI. :D

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Regarding the rev'ing issue, it might be the clutch or brake switch leads that are giving you issues. If ecu does not sense the right brake or clutch position, it limits revs or drops to idle. To prevent the toyota acceleration thing. Defeats accel if brake on. Something like that. Check those leads. VCDS may have brake on clutch switch info, but not sure.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Looks good, plan on swapping in rubber motor mounts. The poly will vibrate the piss out of your kidneys.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
Hey, looks good... How'd that harness and everything work out? I know I was supposed to come over and take a look at your project there but I haven't even had a spare second to work on mine. Things are finally calming down at work, I'd like to get over there and check your rig out.

Corvette

TDI
None
Yes it would be possible to get the engine under the hood somewhat but at this point i am not terribly concerned about it. Just getting it on the road is my immediate goal!
The wiring harness has worked out very well Jay I actually took it for a drive the other day around the block so we are inching closer to done! I am still just trying to weed out which wires i dont need so that it will be easier to fit the rest....somewhere. I am down to the trying to get things to fit in the right place phase. Let me know when you want to come take a look should be fun.

POStdi

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Oh man!!! this is SOOO cool... MORE PICS! MORE PICS!

Now if you could dumb down the connections... that would be FANTASTIC... then I could start gathering parts for one of my old cars. ;)

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
Still planning to finish it

Hey, This is Jesse. I sold you the turbo and wiring harness etc... Are you still planing on completing this project? If not let me know. I would be interested in parts/ whole project.

Jesse