1.8T 02J on ALH TDI?

mk1caddyblue

TDI
Mk1 Caddy Truck
Hi guys,
I've been having a hard time finding a TDI transmission for my ALH TDI for a decent price. Everybody wants $2,000 for something that's used. Not even rebuilt. :-/

The junkyard has a 1.8 t 5 speed in very good condition for about 300 bucks.

I was thinking of purchasing it, I know the 4th and 5th gear ratios are a little bit different, but I was curious what my RPMs might be with the 1.8T transmission in 4th and 5th on the highway? I don't imagine going over 65mph.

Ps, (I'm not sure how to calculate the rpms based off the gear ratio) I'm hoping someone can help me with that here. :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Wow - I should bring my spare BEW transmission along on my next trip to SoCal....help pay the hotel bills.
They typically go for closer to $500-600CAD here (West Coast Canada); $100 more gets the full swap kit (minus new clutch of course).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It'll be way too short.

I'll never understand why Volkswagen mated the various belt-driven 1.8t engines to such low geared transmissions. They have plenty of torque (same as a BEW, and at similar RPMs) and don't really require being spun up super fast (but are certainly happy and capable to tag that redline).

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
It'll be way too short.

I'll never understand why Volkswagen mated the various belt-driven 1.8t engines to such low geared transmissions. They have plenty of torque (same as a BEW, and at similar RPMs) and don't really require being spun up super fast (but are certainly happy and capable to tag that redline).
So far VW is the only one I have EVER found to put shorter gears on an automatic vs the manual. The otherwise fine 2012+ Focus with a manual is un-useable with its MTX75. not that the damnable DPS6 had anything good going for it besides its numerical ratios...

Douglas

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hi guys,
I've been having a hard time finding a TDI transmission for my ALH TDI for a decent price. Everybody wants $2,000 for something that's used. Not even rebuilt. :-/

The junkyard has a 1.8 t 5 speed in very good condition for about 300 bucks.

I was thinking of purchasing it, I know the 4th and 5th gear ratios are a little bit different, but I was curious what my RPMs might be with the 1.8T transmission in 4th and 5th on the highway? I don't imagine going over 65mph.

Ps, (I'm not sure how to calculate the rpms based off the gear ratio) I'm hoping someone can help me with that here. :)
That's wild. Cascade German offers rebuilt boxes for $2k...

There's generally plenty of used ones for good prices. You can also upgrade to a 6 speed for surprisingly little money. See my thread on the 02S swap.

02S boxes do not have a vehicle speed sensor, but 2002 and newer Mk4s can be hacked to pick up vehicle speed via CAN bus from the ABS module instead of relying on that sensor. There is a free program on this forum (kw1281test) that enables you to do this, you just need to get your hands on a VAG KKL serial cable with USB converter. Or, if you have a VCDS cable already, you can try their Virtual Com Port drivers to enable it to be used.

2000-2001 cars support this as well, but you have to swap the instrument cluster for a 2002 or later immo III cluster... Which then also means dealing with immobilizer issues... Then again, kw1281test can help you there as well. It's just getting used to command prompt style work. No fancy gui.

Fun thing with the 02S is you can keep your original axles, starter, clutch hydraulics and use the same 5 speed clutch and flywheel.

car-part.com is my go-to for finding used parts like that at nationwide junkyards. I tend to prefer using local yards when possible so I can just pick it up and not worry about shipping charges.

If you wanted that 6 speed, it's found in 2019-21 Golfs with the 1.4 TSI and 2019 to current Jettas with the 1.4 and 1.5 TSI engines. The most commonly available on the used market are going to be the earlier ones from 2019-2020: TKR and TDZ codes. Geared identically, just some minor internal differences having to do with the pinion bearing, bellhousing and pinion shaft itself.

I just wrapped up swapping a 02S 6 speed into a 2003 Jetta wagon last weekend. Used a Mk5 5 speed bracket to hold the cables on the top of the transmission (two of the three bolt holes on the gearbox for that bracket are in different locations for Mk5 and newer gearboxes vs. Mk4 and older). Next time I do one I might instead make my own brackets to relocate the bolt holes to the original Mk4 location.

ALH 5 speed:

3.39 final drive

3.77 1st gear
2.12 2nd gear
1.36 3rd gear
0.97 4th gear
0.756 5th gear

TKR and TDZ code 02S 6 speed:

3.39 Final drive

4.11 1st gear
2.12 2nd gear
1.36 3rd gear