Search results

1. tdihopeful

My car won't start...

I decided to look at the timing belt today just to see how it was. Didn't see anything that worried me in a visual inspection at how I thought it should be. I thought I should rotate the engine by hand with a wrench from the fuel pump cog nut. To see other parts of the belt. I thought doing that...
  2. tdihopeful

Starting Issue Starting to Develop?

The other morning going to start car on the way to work it took maybe 20 tries. Engine would seem to try to be starting for maybe 1/2 a second to a second then only starter was powering the cranks. Eventually it started and I thought it a fluke. It happened once or twice more since though not as...
  3. tdihopeful

Getting new key cut on the cheap

There is a person selling a mk4 beetle near me they said they "lost the key/keys" and are asking around $500 saying they don't have time to get a new key for it. I imagine there would be a way to have a non-electronic key fob cut by removing the door or trunk lock tumbler and taking that to a...
  4. tdihopeful

Tune/mechanical/vacuum adjustment/mod for turbo responsiveness at lower RPM.

The title of the thread says it all...
  5. tdihopeful

Aerodynamic Studies with Windows Position

Does anyone know of any aerodynamics tests/study of drag with windows/sunroof at different amounts open/closed. Would be good information to those that can't afford to run A/C.
  6. tdihopeful

Maintenance service

I know I have a book and it's in the manual that came with the car but I thought I'd ask suggestions for the most meaningful maintenance service that I could do on my car. Little or small things all suggestions that are of the most importance I will consider. If that means taking the engine half...
  7. tdihopeful

Kerosene

I'm not sure where to post this and know that there are rules to posting about alternative fuel specifically if it is "illegal" as far as I know the only fuel that would be "illegal" to use would be Off Road Diesel. I have a question about Heating Oil or as I understand Kerosene. Would there be...
  8. tdihopeful

Severe Oil leak!!!

I went to a moving gig today and gave a ride to a coworker it was approximately 160 miles. My car has been running fine. Engine oil light came on and chimed and I pulled over and thought I'd not added oil for too long. I noticed oil film on the back of the car. I immediately looked under the...
  9. tdihopeful

Rock in Brake Caliper

I have a couple of questions. One is regarding a rock I found that was lodged in the brake caliper. I noticed a scratching shrieking sound and thought I had warped the rotor from coasting while hyper-mileing and using the brakes too aggressively. I looked for anything unusual and saw a small...
  10. tdihopeful

Couple Questions

I think these are not really "newbie" questions but figured TDI 101 was still the place to ask. 1. Would optimal economy RPM perhaps be different on a higher milage engine? Meaning an engine that is at approximately 260,000 that probably hasn't had extensive tolerance work completed such as new...
  11. tdihopeful

I was asked to help with a 2008 Bluebird 40' Schooly Conversion Bus

A guy with a Bluebird 40' School Bus that want to build it as an RV/Tiny Home wants to know if I can help get it running proper after he says his Brother ran Gas in it. I asked here what could happen with VW TDI'S before but thought I should ask about a Bluebird Bus specifically. He says they...
  12. tdihopeful

Getting Key Fobs Cut

Maybe have the opportunity to purchase a very low cost TDI Beetle that needs front and rear glass and has two keys that need to be cut. I don't know the whole story of the car yet seems kinda sketchy. I'd like to know what is involved in getting keys cut if there is no master key available. I...
  13. tdihopeful

Why is my Turbo Shrieking?

I reassembled my car pretty fuuuuking god-damned carefully. Was careful not to kink the turbo oil exit flex line. Added oil to the turbo inlet port before reconnecting the inlet line. I had started and run the car a little yesterday and today when I take it out as soon as I step on the throttle...
  14. tdihopeful

Post Turbo EGT

Could anyone tell me what the EGT should be post Turbo? Specifically Where the exhaust pipe flex section meets the exhaust down tube.
  15. tdihopeful

CV Boot Replacement

Is it possible to replace inner and outer CV boots on a MK4 Jetta without removing the axels from the wheel bearings/steering knuckle? If yes does that involve disassembly of the inner CV and if yes are there special tools required? Would a press be absolutely essential or could a hammer and...
  16. tdihopeful

Hot tightened exhaust manifold nuts

Is there a way to run an ALH while still being able to access the exhaust manifold nuts to tighten them after engine reaches operating temperature or an alternative perhaps using a heat gun or blow torch on the studs to achieve a nut set that won't tend to slacken over time? I have gotten to my...
  17. tdihopeful

I would like to post on a non VW non diesel car I own.

Haven't found a Subaru specific forum that is any good with mechanic afficianado that can answer involved engine and transmission diagnostics type questions. Would like to post here someplace without being lynched...
  18. tdihopeful

Alternator Question

In an attempt to keep my car somewhat healthy as it is sitting waiting for me to install a new clutch, Helicoil in wheel bearing housing and general cleaning I decided to start and run the engine for a while. I noticed that the alternator wasn't spinning at idle. Is this normal? From what I...
  19. tdihopeful

Gas run in TDI scenario

I saw an ALH on craigslist that was said to have had gasoline run in it. Says it needs work. Not considering buying it at the moment but thought I'd ask what potential damage would such a blunder cause. Could it be as simple as flushing the fuel system with correct fuel and starting it up? Would...
  20. tdihopeful

What is a good aftermarket Wheel Bearing

In a possible effort to get my car back on the road I would likely need a front wheel bearing (s) because of a stripped wheel bearing housing caliper slider pin hole... Suggestions on quality aftermarket Wheel Bearing or hub assembly?