Search results

1. B

Crank but no start - Sorta Resolved, but interested in further opinions

Been a while since I posted here on the forums, but need to ask a few questions. On Sunday, I drove about 8 minutes up to the local Jimmy John's to get lunch for the family. Car was running completely fine. When I came back out, I go to take off, and find that the car cranks, but will not...
  2. B

SOLD: Bentley Manual for A3 93-99 including TDI

Well, with my old A3 gone, I need to update my Bentley, and this is the best place I can think of to sell my old one. It's the Golf/Jetta 1993 - 1999 Service Manual. Just like this one at Amazon.com I've had it about a year, and it's in good shape. Yes there are some dirty fingerprints...
  3. B

WTB: Epsilonian Device

I'm looking for an epsilonian device to replace the one that melted in my unfortunate charcoal incident. I'm waiting for a group to get together so that I can buy one new, but if anyone has a used one they'd like to part with, please let me know. E-Mail is in the profile, and PM's are fine...
  4. B

Timing belt advice, ECU # (MOGolf / Oilhammer?)

So if you've seen my other recent post, you know I just picked up a 2k Golf with 100k on the clock. I was going through the maintenance history last night and discovered this little gem. The timing belt was replaced at 60k. Problem is, on the invoice the dealer lists the D belt and the N...
  5. B

I'm so happy to still be able to spend time here.

I\'m so happy to still be able to spend time here. Hey everybody, just wanted to drop in and say hello. My name is Bookerdog and I'm a TDI addict. Last Saturday I lost my beloved 1998 Jetta TDI to a careless charcoal accident. On Monday, my search began for ammunition to dispute the value...
  6. B

My daddy went to the Kentucky Derby...

...And all he brought me was the burned out shell of a 1998 Jetta TDI I went to the Derby and stayed with a good friend who lives across the street from the Track. While I was over there, another friend, a trainer, asked if I wanted to watch the races from the backside of Churchill Downs...
  7. B

A Little EKTA help please...

Spent the weekend replacing the struts and springs in my Jetta. Would have been a relatively easy job if I had just stopped there, but instead I continued on and also replaced the control arms and lower ball joints. I'm glad I did as the rear control arm bushings were shot as I suspected...
  8. B

WTB Performance Chip for '98 A3 Jetta (AHU)

WTB Performance Chip for \'98 A3 Jetta (AHU) Yeah, yeah, I'm cheap, but I figured if any of you out there have some unused A3 performance chips around, this would be the perfect chance to unload them, to me! I have and AHU and it has the JB ECU code, like all AHU motors do apparently. So, let...
  9. B

Spotted: '04 Jetta Wagon For Sale in St. Louis

Spotted: \'04 Jetta Wagon For Sale in St. Louis This ad is from the St. Louis Post Distpatch Classifieds Section. Looks like a private owner selling an '04 Wagon with 6k miles on it for $22,500 http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/classif...51?opendocument I have nothing to do with this sale...
  10. B

Transmission Oil A3. A Redline Solution

Well, I had a nice chance to do a bunch of maintenance, and thought I'd go ahead and change the tranny fluid. I'd been meaning to do this forever, but never had a chance. At 125k on the clock, I thought it was about time, particularly since the shifting had gotten a little stiff. Well, I...
  11. B

Glow Plug Part #'s for A3 - EKTA Help!

Glow Plug Part #\'s for A3 - EKTA Help! Well, this is specifically for an A3 '98 Jetta AHU engine. I've got a glow plug CEL that I'm trying to track down. There is so much conficting information out there, particularly for A3, I'm going to try and get some specific part numbers from you EKTA...
  12. B

Glow Plug Part #'s for A3 - EKTA Help!

Glow Plug Part #\'s for A3 - EKTA Help! Well, this is specifically for an A3 '98 Jetta AHU engine. I've got a glow plug CEL that I'm trying to track down. There is so much conficting information out there, particularly for A3, I'm going to try and get some specific part numbers from you EKTA...
  13. B

Oilhammer, others in St. Louis with Vag Com.

Hey all, finally got my first CEL with the car on the way home from work last night. It was about 25 degrees, so I got a good glow plug cycle. About 30 seconds of running and the light came on. Classic glow plug circuit. Stopped and did a restart, and the second time before the CEL came...
  14. B

A little EKTA help please.

Hey all you EKTA junkies, I'm looking for a part number for my '98 Jetta. The number I need is for the vaccuum hose that runs between the brake booster servo and the check valve. It's a big hose, and looks like the check valve might be a part of the assembly. I also need a number for the...
  15. B

St. Louis GTG Pictures (fairly large)

Rather than getting fancy, I figured I'd use the resources here at Freds to show you the pics I took from this weekend's getogether. Thanks so much to Oilhammer and his family for hosting this big group! I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and a big thanks go out to MO Golf and his VagCom. He...
  16. B

Check your homemade CCV filter media!!

If you have a homemade CCV filter, when was the last time you cracked it open to see how the filter media was holding up? Mine was built from a Nalgine bottle with an inlet in the side and an outlet in the screw on top. There was a spacer at the bottom (Half a Coke Can) to create a resevoir...
  17. B

Senate Nixes CAFE but not Diesel

In this post, the senate kill of CAFE was lamented, but hope for oil burners still lingers. I did some searching through the arcane Congressional record searches and found some interesting information that wasn't caught by the Yahoo story. Yes it is true the Levin/Bond amendment cut the Kerry...
  18. B

Runaway motor. Check out this Vortex Post!

Hey guys, I sent this guy a link to the forums here, but he's got a very serious problem with his Jetta and sounds like he needs some help right away. He's got a runaway A3 So check it out: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=263107
  19. B

DBW or others with the Racor 4500

A little discussion on one of the other Racor 3500 threads leads me to ask a question of those with the Racor 4500 installed with the drainback to the sump. Have you had any problem with increased levels of water in your oil, or any reduction in oil life because of the byproducts of the...
  20. B

'89 IDI Diesel Alternator Questions

\'89 IDI Diesel Alternator Questions Hey all, My dad has an '89 normally aspirated Jetta diesel. For a while now, he's had a problem with the battery running down. Battery is now about a year old. When the new one ran down, he took it to VW and they "fixed" in by replacing the alternator...