Senate Nixes CAFE but not Diesel

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
In this post, the senate kill of CAFE was lamented, but hope for oil burners still lingers.

I did some searching through the arcane Congressional record searches and found some interesting information that wasn't caught by the Yahoo story. Yes it is true the Levin/Bond amendment cut the Kerry CAFE standards off at the knees by nixing the proposed MPG standards. HOWEVER, for us here, Levin/Bond actually inserted language proposing study of diesel fuel meeting Tier II standards.

Basically, it boils down to this, Levin/Bond struck sections 801 - 811 of Kerry's amendment and replaced it with it's own. Not surprising some sections of the Kerry Amendment have been struck down, it has over 1800 sections, and is far longer and more encompasing that the bill it amends.

The interesting part for us is the approved Levin/Bond section 808:

SEC. 808. DIESEL FUELED VEHICLES.

(a) DIESEL COMBUSTION AND AFTER TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES.--The Secretary of Energy shall accelerate research and development directed toward the improvement of diesel combustion and after treatment technologies for use in diesel fueled motor vehicles.

(b) GOAL.--

(1) COMPLIANCE WITH TIER 2 EMISSION STANDARDS BY 2010.--The Secretary shall carry out subsection (a) with a view to developing and demonstrating diesel technology meeting tier 2 emission standards not later than 2010.

(2) TIER 2 EMISSION STANDARDS DEFINED.--In this subsection, the term ``tier 2 emission standards'' means the motor vehicle emission standards promulgated by the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency on February 10, 2000, under sections 202 and 211 of the Clean Air Act to apply to passenger cars, light trucks, and larger passenger vehicles of model years after the 2003 vehicle model year.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It ain't exactly an ULSD proposal, but the language is actually stronger than anything in Kerry's bill regarding clean diesel, considering that it doesn't mention anything about the modification of overall sulfur standards.

Also, they left alone Kerry's section 814 which calls for a Green School Bus Pilot program which calls specifically for the use of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (less than 15ppm) in School Buses. That would seem to indicate that they at least have an understanding of the benefits of ULSD, and perhaps might spur someone to produce it to supply this program. However, Kerry never did mention where exactly this ULSD was supposed to come from in his original amendment.

Also of interest to the current and hopeful Bean Burners is that there are a couple of sections regarding Biodiesel that haven't been touched in Kerry's original bill.

Section 817: Changes existing law and will make Biodiesel eligible for alternative fuel tax credits for large truck fleet operators. Tax incentive for truckers to burn the bean.

Section 818: Establishes standards for the production of required amounts of renewable fuels, including Biodiesel. I have no idea where these amounts rate in terms of the amount of biodiesel currently produced, but it is something.

So, to those of you who automatically tie CAFE to cleaner diesel proposals, be careful. They're usually mentioned in the same areas, but they are not one in the same. Though, considering how hard this info was to compile, I can understand how you'd believe failure of one is failure of all.

By the way, while wading through all this I discovered the section of the UCC that we all really want changed.

TITLE 42--THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE

CHAPTER 85--AIR POLLUTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL

SUBCHAPTER II--EMISSION STANDARDS FOR MOVING SOURCES

Part A--Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards

Sec. 7545. Regulation of fuels

Sub Sec. (i) Sulfur content requirements for diesel fuel

Sub Sub Sec. 1 Sets the current 0.05% Sulfur and 40 cetane requirements
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This would be better known in Congress speak as (42 U.S.C. 7545(i)(1))

Thoughts?

[ April 03, 2002, 09:54: Message edited by: Bookerdog ]

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Hey, good job! Thank you for looking all that stuff up. We'll have to see what happens to the entire package as it wends its way through Congress - or doesn't.

The damage doesn't appear as bad as it did at first, thank you for checking that. Still, it would have helped if only . . . well, anyway, things are still there worthy of discussion with everyone's Congressional representatives. I hope folks will do so.

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
Thanks for all of the good information but there are a couple of points to address. What did you mean when you said "It ain't exactly an ULSD proposal"?

ULSD is already on its way in 2006. The EPA is going to require 15ppm or less ULSD in 2006 and in 2007 new clean diesel engine technology will be required. ULSD is already being sold around here for commercial fleets and school districts. It is only at 30ppm or less but it is better than the regular rot gut available at the typical fuel station around here. And it is being sold for only .08 cents more a gallon than regular diesel. Just think what will happen when all they can make is ULSD, the price should be the same.
I wish this state would step up and make ULSD required like the big CA down south. But for how much how much everyone "talks" about the environment in the Northwest, not that many people acually "do" for the environment. Our congested freeways and roads with the one-person-SUV-driving-commuters are witness to that.
They are all just a bunch of hypocrites! It P.O.'s me to no end whenever gas prices go up all they show it some a$$&#le filling up his fat-a$$ SUV and then crying about the cost of fuel!!!!

Oh don't get me going!

I fill up with $2.50 a gallon B100, no sulfur, 50+ cetane, grown at home, support our farmers biodiesel and have no qualms about it all. Better to support ourselves than some offshore un-friendly to the USA interests.

Burn The Bean!!!

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
If I had a nickel for every SUV-driving "environmentalist" I've run into, I'd be rich.

Last I checked, the US Constitution does not allow the feds to play with things like CAFE standards and green school buses. This legislation is like anything else that comes out of Washington - crap. Just because it's crap we like, doesn't make it something other than crap. When you cite something like this:

TITLE 42--THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE

CHAPTER 85--AIR POLLUTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL

SUBCHAPTER II--EMISSION STANDARDS FOR MOVING SOURCES

Part A--Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards

Sec. 7545. Regulation of fuels

Sub Sec. (i) Sulfur content requirements for diesel fuel

Sub Sub Sec. 1 Sets the current 0.05% Sulfur and 40 cetane requirements

...you are just singing a dirge for the freedom we've lost in this country.

Paul

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver
PaulB-- This may be a little off the cuff, deserving a short response, and it certainly is off the topic, but it is also serious. When have Americans had significantly less freedom than they have today? It seems to me as though the US Constitution has never been strictly held to, being undermined by commonly accepted practices. It also seems that practices which limit freedoms of large businesses are preferential to those which limit freedoms of individuals--which seems to have been the trend over the 20th century. I think I could stand to learn something here, no matter who is "right." (Oh, and BTW, I think that we don't like that sub-sub-section he quoted.
)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Autodiesel: Amen, man, amen. I would love to shake your hand, as I think we have a lot in common (common sense, that is
)