Search results

1. ccaissie

Done with following threads for now, how to stop feed?

So far the incoming threads for the Gen 4 Jetta TDI ALH has been valuable, but now it's too much. Can you guide me to the way to stop the feed? I have looked at all following and notification buttons and i thought I've got it all turned off. Thanks, guys, I will rejoin later.
  2. ccaissie

Ready for ALH rebuild. How to assess?

I scored an ALH that belonged to a friend, and probably has 150k on it. I disassembled and cleaned the turbo, and that will go on my '02 Jetta which is using a lot of oil thru the turbo. Since I want longevity I want to check out this ALH before the big swap. No injectors, so finding a way to...
  3. ccaissie

My '02 is gulping oil...How to diagnose?

I do get lubeoil smell @ startup from my 354,000mile '02 Jetta, but it is running well and that clears up in a few seconds. Can go through a quart in 200 miles. Seemed to start using oil heaily in the last 3000 miles...rather sudden increase. I did get a runaway twice, so I put a drain (sheet...
  4. ccaissie

Something is draining my '02 TDI Jetta battery

I've pulled my door lock/interior fuse, When I connected the battery, a lot of arcing current there and I heard the door locks make a noise.... Was suspecting starter dragging, but a separately charged battery starts like a champ. I pulled fuse 6, 14, 27(supposed to be daytime running...
  5. ccaissie

Air bubbles in the fuel line 2002 ALH

I've had occasional stalling and hard restarts when the fuel level gets low...1/4 tank. Working around the turbo hoses, I now notice air bubbles streaming towards the pump and take this to mean a leak in the supply side of the fuel system. It could be the last clear section from the filter to...
  6. ccaissie

Engine Ran Away, Now a few new symptoms

Engine has been losing power related to turbo issues, but runs good, high oil consumption lately. I plan to rebuild this engine, 2002 ALH now @352K. Recent timing belt job. The intercooler has been drained a few times, and the last time, I left my improvised intercooler drain screw a little...
  7. ccaissie

2015 Jetta Sedan TSI needs complete maintenance check

Planning to go through this car and get it on the track for a long life. It was a Dealer lease car and I got it with 40,000 miles on it, Now 43,000. Where do I find a maintenance schedule for the 40,000 mile interval. What do you consider essential to check out at this mileage AND AGE? It...
  8. ccaissie

In the middle of ALH timing belt questions....

Going well, couple of questions: 1. The lower engine mount was a chore to remove...only after I pulled out all the studs, tensioners, water pump, etc could I drop it out the bottom and free the belt. It certainly would not come out the top with all the gingerbread still in there..... So when...
  9. ccaissie

Buying a junk engine...not sure if ALH or BEW

For $300 I'm planning to pick up a TDI engine that was running when car was wrecked and scrapped. My plan is to check it out and rebuild it and install in my 2002 Jetta with the ALH engine. The guy only knows it's a 1.9 diesel. He thinks 98 99 or "something". I will go and take a look to...
  10. ccaissie

How do I identify the turbo on my 2002 ALH. Want to rebuild it.

How to find a top quality rebuild kit for my ALH turbo. Vanes are way sticky and oil in intercooler I suspect is oil from turbo. So what is the designation of the turbo? Garrett? What is the stock unit? Could there be a different unit in there? How to identify it for sure? And where to...
  11. ccaissie

When does a TDI timing belt fail? At high speeds or startup?

Engineering question. When the camshaft is spinning, does the momentum help in reducing timing belt tension? Is the amount of tension highest when starting it, i.e. accelerating from Zero to idle speed? So do belts fail at startup more often than when running?
  12. ccaissie

ALH timing belt time. Can I make my own timing tools?

Just hitting 100k on my 351k ALH. I plan to get a spare rebuildable engine, go through it and put it in the 2002 TDI. But before all that I will R&R the timing belt on the current engine in the car. Later in the rebuild, swap it to the new engine. Anyways....has anyone used home brewed...
  13. ccaissie

Is my ALH starting to run away?

Third event in two weeks. While accelerating, during a shift, the engine revs higher, the first time it hit the redline and left a plume of smoke n the rear view mirror. 2nd and 3rd time I caught it quicker and engaged the next gear quicker. Definite self-revving. I run B99 biodiesel in my...
  14. ccaissie

ALH limp mode workaround

I found my Turbo lever was quite stuck and was giving me overboost/limp mode. This is after replacing all vacuum lines which helped get my vacuum to 25" but didn't solve the limp. I removed the actuator, which seems fine and found the turbo lever very sticky...working it loose with the oven...
  15. ccaissie

Diagnosing limp mode on ALH. Only getting 15"vacuum in system...now what?

Following a tutorial here,and testing the vac line on the N75. instructions: put a vac tester on the 'vac" line and start engine ...should be 25"hg. It isn't. Getting 15" Hoses are original, so I'm prepping to replace all...otherwise, what's up?
  16. ccaissie

Which biodiesel suppliers use WASTE Veg Oil in their process?

I use Maine Standard Biofuels B99.9 as it is made from recycled WVO, and is ASTM spec fuel. https://www.mainestandardbiofuels.com/ The environmental impact/costs of using Palm oil or Jatropha, or any raw oil suggest that it's not a real win for the Climate Crisis Issue, and it's far better if...
  17. ccaissie

02 TDI won't crank.

Tr This 02 car also has a JF197. And try to read more threads...
  18. ccaissie

02 TDI won't crank.

Trying to get past the threads that tell me to get a new battery or change the fuel filter or ash tray. Good battery. Swapped it with another good battery from my GL. No change. All dash lights on, headlights bright. Push clutch pedal in. Turn key. Small click from somewhere in instrument...
  19. ccaissie

Can someone describe ALH Turbo principles?

'02 with a dead turbo. Nothing catastrophic, just no boost. Oil level fine. A project car. Drove it home. Not very peppy that's for sure....about like my MK2 normally aspirated diesel. I see Youtubes on disassembly and procedures for cleaning. Evidently there are vanes that complement the...
  20. ccaissie

Just bought MK4. AIRBAG light on

Sweet car cheap...project car. Airbag light on. In Maine it won't get a sticker with the light on. Diagnostics? How to begin?