Search results

1. yakko

How many of us daily drive these old cars....?

My wife puts 135 miles a day on our B4. We also take long trips regularly. The car keeps on pluggin! I do most of my work on the car on the week ends. At present I'm restoring another B4 for the winter months. :eek:
  2. yakko

Camshaft...

Looks like they used a tool other than the timing belt lock. I had the same thing on an ID engine years ago. I put on 200,00 more miles with the cam like that. ;)
  3. yakko

Brake Upgrade

Thanks!
  4. yakko

Brake Upgrade

Abacus, Do you have part numbers for those goodies?:)
  5. yakko

Which is a better tire for B4?

I decided to use my steel rims for Hokapaleta 8s for winter. In summer I bought a set of rims 15" for nokia performance summer tires. It was an expensive way to go. I like the straight summer tires. They are wicked in the rain. Feels like I'm on rails!
  6. yakko

028 105 243 T Febi Crank pully

That's good to know. I got the Febi one from ID Parts and it was made in China. I hope it does not come apart. I did all the belts today and it's the first time the timing on the pump was excellent. There was no need to adjust the pump.
  7. yakko

028 105 243 T Febi Crank pully

Has any one used this Chinese part from Febi??
  8. yakko

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Put new mag wheels and Nokia low rolling resistance tires on. Nice ride! They are high speed summer tires. I have wicked studded snows for the winter! :D
  9. yakko

Yup 80 on the low side is no good. May be the pump is dying on me. usually I get 35- 40 on the low side. With hot days 200-250 on the high side. I'll find the problem just a little time is all.:rolleyes:
  10. yakko

I had 80psi on the low side. With an outside temp of 85 should get up around 250 - 300 psi for the high side. The compressor has almost 200,000 miles on it. Plus idle time.:eek: It Might be tired.
  11. yakko

Oh, I finally fixed my driver side power window nightmare. Turned out the front window track was bent and the rubber sheath was worn thin. It works so nice now I can't believe it.:D
  12. yakko

AC has me ticked off

Our cars do use PAG 46. Get a can of A/C flush while your at it.
  13. yakko

AC has me ticked off

Compressors seize due to lack of oil usually. It's hard to tell how much oil is in the system. When I change a compressor the condenser, evaporator and lines get flushed. The accumulator drier gets replaced. You have to try and get all the metal particles out. The Chinese compressors are...
  14. yakko

I put my HVAC box in with the dash. Boy that wasn't any fun. I forgot how much trouble it was. I still don't have any A/C yet. The compressor seems to be gone. I changed the Evap valve with no luck so far. Sill have a 80 PSI on the low side while the compressor is running.
  15. yakko

Put my fogs in today! I'm going to keep the relay in. I only use them with the lows any way. My wife uses the car for work. I don't want her getting stopped by a Smokey! They are all over here in NY.:rolleyes:
  16. yakko

I will be having that fun too. I'm doing the 1z install for my 91 IDI car. I hope the manual is right on the wiring. I can just imagine the fun you had! :rolleyes:
  17. yakko

I never realized the rats nest of wiring these cars have!:eek:
  18. yakko

Hmmmmmm! I started my HVAC install last week end.
  19. yakko

Air recirc flap issues

Wow, I'm in the process of changing out my air box. The recirc bellows quit working and all the door felt came out of the vents. I decided to replace it this summer and replace the recirc bellows. It's quit a big job to me. I will be evacuating the A/C system too. I do have all the A/C tools.
  20. yakko

96 Passat - interior fan control module melting

I had a bad blower motor. It was running high current. I added in a set of three relays to eliminate the switch from getting destroyed. I did replace the blower motor.