AC has me ticked off

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Well. The story goes a year and a half ago the ac quit working. More than likely it was the valve in the compressor not circulation the freon. Well. I hate doing things twice so I decided to do things the right way and get it done correctly for piece of mind. Mind you I'm in the Coast Guard and drive around the country a lot. I did not want to have an issue on the road. So.
I bought a brand new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, and seal kit from Polar Bear. I was told they were the go to people for our compressors so I bit the bullet and paid.
Then I did not want to half ass the install so I found a TDI trusted shop off the list we have published and had them do the install.
I was happy as a clam with working ac putting thousands of miles on the open road.
Fast forward 1 1/2 years and 30k miles later and the Compressor started acting up on me on a 600 miles trip and finally locked and burned up the clutch.
Polar bear says the compressor is out of warranty and the TDI trusted shop offers only warranty on the install since I did not buy the parts from them.
I'm about $1000 deep in my AC and now it is completely shot again.
Sorry for the rant. I'm just pissed and broke and HOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
So, did the compressor or the clutch lock up? If it's the compressor, get another and a new drier.

There's a seller on eBay who can get the China clone clutches. He doesn't advertise them, but a lot of A4 TDI owners get the clutches from him.

The clutch can be replaced on the car without removing the refrigerant lines.

-Todd

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
So, did the compressor or the clutch lock up? If it's the compressor, get another and a new drier.

There's a seller on eBay who can get the China clone clutches. He doesn't advertise them, but a lot of A4 TDI owners get the clutches from him.

The clutch can be replaced on the car without removing the refrigerant lines.

-Todd

I'm not sure if it was the clutch or compressor that is jacked. The clutch was engaging but no cold air. Then after a while it engaged but slipped till it got burned up. I think I might just put in a new compressor. I don't want to change the clutch and have it not fix the issue.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Worst case is it doesnt last I guess?

My only advice, never buy a rebuilt compressor (your not looking at that now, just in general).

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
Compressors seize due to lack of oil usually. It's hard to tell how much oil is in the system. When I change a compressor the condenser, evaporator and lines get flushed. The accumulator drier gets replaced. You have to try and get all the metal particles out. The Chinese compressors are supposed to be Okay. If you clean up the system you should be all right. JMHO.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Well. I just verified it is the compressor that locked up. I'll be ordering the stuff from the eBay link today.

What needs to be flushed in the ac system? Better yet what do I need not flush?

How much freon does our system take?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Well. I just verified it is the compressor that locked up. I'll be ordering the stuff from the eBay link today.

What needs to be flushed in the ac system? Better yet what do I need not flush?

How much freon does our system take?

The product container will tell you what you can and can't flush. I looked at some at the auto parts store a few days back just to see what items it said not to flush. IIRC you can't flush the dryer, compressor or accumulator (if present) but you can flush the evap and condenser, at least according to what I was reading.

I've read online that you shouldn't flush the evap but this product said you could.

I would expect that one quart bottle would be sufficient, especially at $15 a quart.

Steve

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
I have heard varying answers on if I should replace or flush out the condenser. Some say to never flush and just replace and some say to flush and go. What do you guys think?

tripl-e

Veteran Member
TDI
b4 sporting a new ET 6th gear!
The condenser is very difficult to actually 'flush' clean because it is one continuous tube from inlet to outlet. There is a lot of tubing there to try and get clean, especially if it has been contaminated with a bunch of compressor debris. Don't forget to flush the tubes and hoses, too.
Don't know how much refrigerant a Jetta takes, there should be a tag in the engine bay somewhere. A b4 requires 1.15 to 1.2 KG.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have always heard to flush everything that is not replaced. Also, you cant rent the AC manifold gauges and vacuum pump from an auto parts store (I have used autozone for this once). Draw a vacuum for a few hours. Then let it sit for at least a few hours, to make sure the system still has a vacuum. If it looses vacuum while sitting, there is a leak somewhere.

Put all new orings on everything you replace. A AC filter is a good thing to put in after a compressor failure, but I have no idea (and have never done it) how to go about that. Certainly a good idea though. Here is a DIY how to (for a BMW, but gives you an idea). http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686807

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
On my B3V car I'm converting over to R134a with used parts from about three or four different cars. Condenser from one VR, evap from another VR car, pipes from a combo of VR and ABA powered B4's, compressor from a Mk3 (system was sealed) along with new o-ring kit and a new dryer.

It's a budget AC system but all the parts came from unopened and undamaged systems so I'm hopeful that it'll work out ok.

Steve

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Ok. All the parts are in the way along with a new condenser. I looked at the tag in the hood and it takes 850 grams of refrigerant. How much of the PAG 46 oil do I use? Just until the compress is full from the service port? Or do I need to use a certain amount in the whole system?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Mk3 takes 3.9 oz +/- .5 oz according to Bentley, I would assume that to be awfully close but haven't looked at the B4 to know for sure.

Bentley says that new replacement compressors from VW are shipped with the proper amount of PAG oil inside. I'm not sure I would rely on that for a compressor from somewhere else. I'd probably drain and fill it myself.

Steve

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Mk3 takes 3.9 oz +/- .5 oz according to Bentley, I would assume that to be awfully close but haven't looked at the B4 to know for sure.

Bentley says that new replacement compressors from VW are shipped with the proper amount of PAG oil inside. I'm not sure I would rely on that for a compressor from somewhere else. I'd probably drain and fill it myself.

Steve

Thank you for the information. I will check the compressor when I get my hands on it. I'll fill it and measure the amount. If it doesn't reach the 3.9 oz amount, I'll just put the rest in the lines to meet the amount specifies.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
I got all the parts. I installed a new compressor, condenser, expansion valve, dryer, and all new seals. All from eBay for about $275. The condenser was a pain in the a$$ to change out. I flushed out all the lines and evaporator then I pulled vacuum for about three hours and it held vacuum. Charged it up and it is colder than ever before. Let's see how long the eBay compressor lasts. The polar bear unit lasted one year a was three times as expensive.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
At idle I have the low pressure side around 30 psi and high side at around 250-275. Should I bleed of a but of refrigerant to get the high side lower or should I be safe in my current range?

I set it at about 2.5 times the outside ambient air.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Here are some pictures to see what happened. To me it looks as if the bearing failed. I'll be emailing these pictures to let Polar Bear know that the quality of their compressor from China is suspect. I requested an OEM unit from them when I purchased it and they said that they stand behind all their products regardless of where they are from. I spoke to a lady on the phone a few weeks ago when this happened and the warranty was only good for 12 months.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Boy they've got the failure rate on those CRAP compressors down to a science now, just after the warranty expires the unit fails.

I feel for ya, you spent a ton of money hoping to put this problem to rest and CRAP got in the way.

Steve

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta tdi 244k stage 2 Malone Bosch injectors, 98 jetta tdi 240k injectors.
I have installed a kit on 2 cars now, a 97 passat and a 98 Jetta.. Ac flush $15quart(enough for 2 cars)with compressed air, let it dry overnight. Put it togeather the next day. Drained the oil that came with the compressor out of the special screw. and added a total of 4.5 oz to the system. 4 in the comp. and a bit into the txv evap and lines. Oiled all new orings.. My mechanic verified vacume and put in 28oz 134a and some dye... This sucker blows 42 degreesF very happy... We'll see if it lasts

Btw bought the kits from buyautoparts.com. $270 /kit

Last edited: