Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
And knowing that (EPA wanting to get rid of diesel passenger vehicles)...VW chose to try and cheat the system.:rolleyes: They could have just made the cars right the first time around...and not given the EPA an excuse to go after them.
I agree with this 100%

You've got some good points, but your defense of VW (as well as others in this thread) sounds like a typical defendant attitude. "The law sucked, so I was right in breaking it."
You've got me all wrong. I don't defend what VW did at all, I just don't care because it's what all manufactures do, with the exception that I DO CARE about damage VW has done to Diesel Cars reputation in USA more than anyone ever has in history!

I would hope they've removed all the A$$ HOLES Responsible for this Catastrophe by now.

The way I see things now, VW's Judgement day is coming in 8 Days. They have only 1 shot to REALLY MAKE THINGS RIGHT & turn things around, if they screw up on June 21, they will be throwing the opportunity away.

If they really want to save their reputation & MAKE THINGS RIGHT with ALL USA/Canadian TDI Customers, there is a way to do it as follows:

Due to their deliberate blatant FRAUD Lies:

• FIXES for all Generation of cars involved MUST NOT lower power nor MPG at all PERIOD! If it does, then they must GRANDFATHER ALL CARS PERIOD!

In reference to FIX/GRANDFATHER above....

• BUYBACKS will have to be offered to EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO BOUGHT A TDI INCLUDING 3.0 V6 MODELS, Due to their blatant deliberate and confessed FRAUD of cheating.

IF everyone is given those 2 choices above, then Everybody can be happy, those who want to get out can give their TDIs back & get FULL Retail Private Party Excellent Cond. + compensation bonus, those who want to keep them just as they are can just forget the whole thing, & those that would go for a FIX can do that if they choose to get that Compensation money.

• FORCED BUYBACK
Now..... IF they have No Fix NOR Grandfather offers..... the only choice THEN would be Buyback, or do NOTHING & let it all go.

IF in any way shape or form any state BLOCKS Renewal for walking away and doing nothing at all, then their BUYBACK AMOUNT MUST be at FULL PURCHASE PRICE minus fair deductibles for Miles & Depreciation.

PLUS COMPENSATION For everyone, if they REALLY want to turn things around and make things right.

The idea of forcibly accepting TRADE-IN VALUE is TOTAL BU11 $HIT!

If anyone thinks even 50% of TDI owners are going to be FORCED to give their cars back based on Trade-IN Value by way of no fix possible, or fix which lowers MPG/Power, This whole thing will FAIL For them come June 21.

EVEN if they lowball first, then are forced to up the ante before end of July, that also will be a FAILED opportunity to MAKE THINGS RIGHT the first time.

They need to do what both MAZDA & FIAT Did, suck it up & offer FULL PURCHASE PRICE Buybacks PLUS a fix that either FIXES without lowering MPG/POWER OR they must GRANDFATHER.

I don't care how much it costs them, it's their own fault. NOR do I give 2 $hits about CARB/EPA

They need to take care of all us owners FIRST, & I believe they will. Again, they have this one great shot at turning things around & their new management team looking like Heroes.

If NO GRANDFATHER or acceptable FIX is offered/possible AND we don't ALL like their buyback offer, many (MOST even) will just do nothing & keep driving as if nothing has happened.

IF any state then blocks Registrations, there would be so many personal lawsuits filed VW would have to pay out more than DOUBLE that 18 BILLION to get rid of the lawsuits, & their reputation will be ruined worse than it already is.

That's my .02 cents.

Last edited:

JMugmon

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Got this from the CAS lawyers Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP in May

We are writing to provide you with an update on the Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” class action litigation.

This morning, the Court held a status conference to address the parties’ ongoing settlement negotiations. The parties have made substantial progress in the negotiations, and are on track to publically file the terms of the settlement on June 21, 2016. Judge Charles Breyer stated that the proposed settlement will accomplish three major objectives:
First, the settlements address noncompliant 2-liter-engine cars currently on the road. By Volkswagen offering to buy back or to terminate the lease for each vehicle, or, at no cost to the consumer, and subject to Government approval after further testing, by the consumer choosing to have Volkswagen modify the vehicles to reduce the emissions in accordance with the requirements set by EPA and CARB.

Second, in addition -- and I want to emphasize this. In addition to the buy-back or modification, the settlement pays substantial monetary compensation to the proposed class of 2-liter-engine owners and lessees.

Third, the settlement requires Volkswagen to pay money into a fund that will support environmental remediation. In addition, Volkswagen will be required to commit other funds to promote green automotive technology.

None of these settlement benefits will be reduced by the payment of attorneys’ fees and costs.

As I understand it, I am going to be given a choice of Buyback or Fix plus a payout.

If that is the case I am dropping my 2015 Sportwagen TDI and buying either an Acura ILX or Honda Civic

I love my Sportwagen but I have no confidence in the fix. I don't see how the emission system or exhaust system isn't going to prematurely fail since it wasn't designed to run full time.

Anyway that is where I am in this process, what about you?? What are your plans

Chris
I am looking forward to a new 2017 BMW i3. Done with VW.

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
Yes. I, too, would have a very hard time giving any credence to that statement. There is a gag order (and, from what I've seen, a very effective one) imposed by the judge on this business, so I don't see how it's possible that a VW service manager could possibly know more than thee or me.
I was at my local dealer this weekend for a test drive of a jetta hybrid and a tiguan tsi. They had no additional info (on the sales side) on what's going to be happening (or knew they couldn't say).

Didn't get a chance to speak with the svc mgr as I wanted to talk generally about the latest "thoughts" on gen1 emissions possibilities. In the past though, he felt adding hw to my JSW was very possible.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Funny issues with averages
100 straight "A" students averaged with 100 "F" students...
..... and you get 200 "C" PGA students ??????

yeah, but the averages from crime rates are calculated a bit differently. usually instances per 1,000 people. which would reflect more accurately than than you simple math equation above

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Using KBB to figure cost of driving EXTRA miles

I was curious about the book value of cars as the miles pile on.

Using my particular car with the current miles I added 20,000 increment(s), to figure the cost of EXTRA miles added.

First 20,000 was at (about) $.05 PER MILE

Next 20,000 raise the (total) of (about) $.06 per mile

Next 20,000 raised the Total) of (about) $.07 per mile.

Next 20,000 raised the (total) to (about) $.075 per mile.

In other words, the LAST miles on the clock are PROGGRESSIVELY more costly:eek:

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Chicago kills more in a week or two than all the 50+ killed last night in FL

no, they do not. are you lying on purpose or out of ignorance?

first, there are outliers when looking at something as broad as crime rate in America. saying chicago is dangerous and therefore the 60s were safer is pretty damn stupid.

also, chicago is dangerous but even using them, since you brought them up, using their total number of murders in 2015 (468) then it would take roughly 39 days or 5.5 weeks

still drastic but not 1-2 weeks

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
And now, the weather...

Well, they are predicting AT LEAST 119 this Saturday. This is very near the time that we had 122. I am sitting about 350 miles south of Phoenix right now, but the same retrograde high is going to be sitting right on top of us here. I think that I'll spend the day on the beach. The funny thing is today is going to be 100 or less in Phoenix, a 19 degree increase in 6 days...Mark

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
DAMN STRAIGHT
Jeta was innocent ... And a good guy to boot
damn incorrect

he might be. my comment was in response to his comment and not an attack on his character.

using context, which you obviously struggle with, my comment was in response to the idea that the 1960s were safer than today making it in that facet the good ole days. it was not

his comment was not implying the 1960s were personal good time in his life, he even posted later he was child of the 1970s, but they were more an incorrect generalization of the 1960s

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
IIRC, we here in the good ole US of A average around 75 gun deaths a day, around 25 of those are suicides. That is every day, 365 days a year. We don't blink at that, but when 50 or so are killed at once, we do (as we should). To me it is the sensational aspect of it, mixed with a media obsessed with tragedy. The Eagles said it best: "as you talk about the plane crash with a gleam in your eye". I read somewhere that there are more guns percapita in Canada than the US, but they don't go around killing people with them. Maybe we should take a lesson from the people up north...Mark

agreed

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Cracks me up about all of you that claim VW can't lose a single mpg...

A couple of Manufacturers have been sued for their cars being drastically under the EPA estimates, but we are getting more than the sticker price. You never going to be able to hold someone accountable because you're losing something you should have never had in the first place.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Respectively,
IMO
Race baiting is unworthy of a TDICLUB member.

1) it was no race baiting. race can be mentioned without it being race baiting. do you need a safe space from trigger words?

2) if going to generalize a time as being the good ole day, especially a time you did not live it, probably best not list an era where crime was growing drastically and minorities were oppressed

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
It would make sense that any "buyback" is treated like a trade in car. The dealer pays off the Lein holder first and then you get the remainder, if any, back. Easily done and someone like CarMax does this thousands of times a day. I know because I've sold 3 vehicles back to CarMax and it was painless each time.
Very few owners actually "own" their tdi's. VW will be dealing with their own loans and loans from many other banks.

I am hoping/thinking this is correct

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
First off my heart goes out to the shooting victims.

The only way the recall will be done on my 2012 Jetta is 1. I sit in the shop while the "fix" is being done. 2. A one month trial on said "fix" on the Jetta. 3. At least $5000 and a transferable 3 year/50000 mile warranty (bumber to bumber) 4. Free timing belt job (just too lazy to do it me self((also sitting in shop watching))). Anything else and I'll be looking more closely at a canyon diesel 4wd pickup or a new sierra pickup.

how are the reviews on those small diesel trucks? I rarely see any where I live so do not know anything about them

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Yes. I, too, would have a very hard time giving any credence to that statement. There is a gag order (and, from what I've seen, a very effective one) imposed by the judge on this business, so I don't see how it's possible that a VW service manager could possibly know more than thee or me.

I am impressed/surprised how effective the gag order has been too

with how it seems everything leaks, regardless of industry, these days it is amazing that details have not leaked out

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Here is my crystal ball.....

On the 21 Vw is going to show their cards. It may be a hand that we are like "wow..you actually are trying to make it right", or it could be a hand that bends us over and keeps with the idea of screwing the little people.

However on the 22nd I expect all other manufacturers ( that now know how they can offload the trade ins) will step up and try to at least pretend they give a sh!t about people. I better hear some marketing garbage like "bring us you old and tired TDI and WE'LL make it right!"

Sure car companies compete against each other now, but if they became sharks and pounced on the weak...it will be great for us..... I want to see some good ol boys breakup like OPEC :)

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
I am looking forward to seeing what kind of deal I can get on a new-but-never-sold 2015 TDI! :)
ME TOO!
Although what I REALLY REALLY Want, is the new TIGUAN TDI, OR 37MPG Crossblue TDI with the dual Electric Motors.

Probably a pipe dream though.

The PERFECT solution would be a buyback that makes me happy, PLUS say $3000 (or?) off incentives THAT DOES NOT EXPIRE! ... HOPEFULLY then that will give it time for VW to eventually sell/offer BOTH TIGUAN AND CROSSBLUE in TDI VERSIONS.
I will NEVER EVER buy any GASSER for the rest of my life.

I truly am AMERICAN! I LOVE BIG COMFORTABLE TRUCKS/SUV's, especially BIG 4X4 Diesel SUV's with 305 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque & can get 37MPG!

BUT... if a Miracle happens & they actually offer a TDI Crossblue IN THAT EXACT CONFIGURATION, if it costs $60,000 forget it!

I'll just buy (another) 1994-1996 Dodge RAM Cummins with quad cab in SLT (even if it only gets 15mpg) & skip brand new vehicle purchases for the rest of my life.

The Cummins engine with 300,000 miles would still outlive me.

Like this one:

Someone a while back made a reference that I bought the wrong car in a GOLF. They were RIGHT, but not for the reason they thought.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
ME TOO!
Although what I REALLY REALLY Want, is the new TIGUAN TDI, OR 37MPG Crossblue TDI with the dual Electric Motors.
Probably a pipe dream though.
The PERFECT solution would be a buyback that makes me happy, PLUS say $3000 (or?) off incentives THAT DOES NOT EXPIRE! ... HOPEFULLY then that will give it time for VW to eventually sell/offer BOTH TIGUAN AND CROSSBLUE in TDI VERSIONS.
I will NEVER EVER buy any GASSER for the rest of my life.

I truly am AMERICAN! I LOVE BIG COMFORTABLE TRUCKS/SUV's, especially BIG 4X4 Diesel SUV's with 305 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque & can get 37MPG!
BUT... if a Miracle happens & they actually offer a TDI Crossblue IN THAT EXACT CONFIGURATION, if it costs $60,000 forget it!
I'll just buy (another) 1994-1996 Dodge RAM Cummins with quad cab in SLT (even if it only gets 15mpg) & skip brand new vehicle purchases for the rest of my life.
The Cummins engine with 300,000 miles would still outlive me.
Like this one:

Someone a while back made a reference that I bought the wrong car in a GOLF. They were RIGHT, but not for the reason they thought.

love those old two tone paint jobs ha! I have a 1994 bronco that is white and teal.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately grandfathering or waiver does not appear to be part of the plan.
Doesn't matter because we can just choose our own Grandfather (Walk Away & Forget the whole thing) (although loosing out on Compensation)

IF however, any state blocks renewal registrations, THEN IT MATTERS! = LAWSUIT TIME!

Last edited:

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
I'm for anything that increases my resale value - this would not do it
I am sure has been mentioned on here but will be nice to see how much the values of these cars rise once buyback and such is announced.

for some it might make more financial sense to take the fix and the cash then sell than it would to do a buyback and the cash.

if the values rise, of course

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
1) it was no race baiting. race can be mentioned without it being race baiting. do you need a safe space from trigger words?
2) if going to generalize a time as being the good ole day, especially a time you did not live it, probably best not list an era where crime was growing drastically and minorities were oppressed
Originally Posted by fan of fanboys View Post
which part was the good ole days? oh, you mean it was the good ole days for middle class white people? I am sure most the black people in this country who were alive then would not call the 1960s the good ole days
and as far as crime: Crime rates have varied over time, with a sharp rise after 1963, reaching a broad peak between the 1970s and early 1990s. Since then, crime has declined significantly in the United States, and current crime rates are approximately the same as those of the 1960s
After World War II, crime rates increased in the United States, peaking from the 1970s to the early 1990s. Violent crime nearly quadrupled between 1960 and its peak in 1991. Property crime more than doubled over the same period. Since the 1990s, however, crime in the United States has declined steeply.
The US homicide rate, which has declined substantially since 1992 from a rate per 100,000 persons of 9.8 to 4.5 in 2013.
So incredible racism and growing crime rates. Ah, the good ole days
Respectively,

IMO

Race baiting is unworthy of a TDICLUB member.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Here is my crystal ball.....
On the 21 Vw is going to show their cards. It may be a hand that we are like "wow..you actually are trying to make it right", or it could be a hand that bends us over and keeps with the idea of screwing the little people.
However on the 22nd I expect all other manufacturers ( that now know how they can offload the trade ins) will step up and try to at least pretend they give a sh!t about people. I better hear some marketing garbage like "bring us you old and tired TDI and WE'LL make it right!"
Sure car companies compete against each other now, but if they became sharks and pounced on the weak...it will be great for us..... I want to see some good ol boys breakup like OPEC :)

oh for sure. I bet some are actually counting on that. as they should be

I am looking used after the buyback but will be tempting to at least see what kind of offers we get

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Let the 21st be the chum in the water!!!!! Daddy wants a new car :)

Actually that gives me an idea... I wonder how much VW really cares about its owners......meaning they must know that many people have already decided to ditch them so why go overboard when you know they are walking anyway?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.