Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
apples and oranges Matt ;)....the MKIV has more room behind the engine than I have beside mine....I'm already touching one of the AC lines with the little VA turbo...add to that ryanp's adapter plate and the actuator sticking out in the wrong direction....I just don't see how it's gonna clear....I'm gonna test fit it up there for sure because I want it to work too my friend....that being said, tonight was the first time I had the turbos side by side...and ya' know there is really not a tremendous difference in outside dimension...the VK just has stuff in the wrong place ....
Another thing to think about is that the turbine inlet on the VK turbos is a bit off radius, so the turbo actually ends up moving up and on top of the manifold a bit when used with the BHW/AFN manifold. I think Rub87 has some pictures.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Another thing to think about is that the turbine inlet on the VK turbos is a bit off radius, so the turbo actually ends up moving up and on top of the manifold a bit when used with the BHW/AFN manifold. I think Rub87 has some pictures.
I haven't noticed the offset nature of the inlet, ....ryan's adapter may help negate that a bit....I'll just have to see....

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I haven't noticed the offset nature of the inlet, ....ryan's adapter may help negate that a bit....I'll just have to see....
Here are those pictures:

Especially in that last one you can see how high up the turbo sits. There's an adapter plate in there as well.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Nice Toyota Jim!

I have seen that BV turbo before:D

Don't underestimate the BV, i have seen better results with the bv compared to a 1756k..

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Nice Toyota Jim!

I have seen that BV turbo before:D

Don't underestimate the BV, i have seen better results with the bv compared to a 1756k..
Thanks Frans~!!....Yeah that little BV has traveled the globe for sure!!....so here's my delimma ....it's a truck....right now I'm running a 1749VA turbo from an 04-05' passat....the thing boosts great down low and honestly starts pulling before 1500 rpm...yeah it shakes shudders and complains (no detectable surge) until it smooths out @ 1600rpm....I really don't want to sacrifice any low end grunt....my biggest reason for swapping out turbos is to increase the flow and decrease the bottleneck the early VNT's are famous for (helping to decrease EGT's)....so I'm I pipe dreamin' to think I maintain the low rpm boosting the VA provides ?....or will both these turbos fill the wish list ?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
some sad news to report, I laid my father to rest today after his five and half year struggle with pancreatic and liver cancer :(.... he was a great and patient teacher and will be missed every day.... I'm posting in this thread because I've decided to let go of my project/dream truck....I guess events like this can cause a shift in priorities....I will update the thread and let ya'll know how the new V6 clutch works out.... again this is not a for sale post as I already have someone interested in buying the truck (may or may not happen)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Jim- So sad to hear of your loss. He sure raised a good thinker!! And don't let your loss get in the way of your creativity.

Eric

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Jim,
I, too, am sorry to hear about your loss.

You dad is at peace now.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Tony

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Sorry for your loss Jim. My thoughts are with you and your family.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Jimmy, I am so sorry to learn about your father's passing! As you know, I met him that one time about 5 years ago! Gees! He looked so much like my late uncle who was also a teacher (welding). As you know, I laid my father (he and the late uncle were twins) to rest back in May. It has been tough these last few weeks! The loss has really made working on my project a drag! I've even considered giving up! Really!

Hang in there my friend, it will get better!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jimmy, I am so sorry to learn about your father's passing! As you know, I met him that one time about 5 years ago! Gees! He looked so much like my late uncle who was also a teacher (welding). As you know, I laid my father (he and the late uncle were twins) to rest back in May. It has been tough these last few weeks! The loss has really made working on my project a drag! I've even considered giving up! Really!

Hang in there my friend, it will get better!
Yes sir!... he remembered you as well and of course "Mr. Bryant" that you brought with you :)....thanks for the encouragement Andy....I know things will get better, they are just up in the air right now and I'm waiting to see where they fall so I can start putting em back in order ;)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Newly modified flywheel ....

All machine work was performed at my buddy Daniel's and his pop's shop in raleigh "Chesson Machine" on Gelder drive....great guys and great friends....their machine shop is akin to the old timey blacksmith shop where if you need something mended just the part and sketch is all you need :)....Daniel and myself are certified diesel heads, and along with my friend Tom (Amosdoodle here on the forums) we're quite a team ;)

New flywheel before machining

Newly machined with 10" friction surface, .025" step and vw pattern :)

My buddy Daniel heating up the ring gear for install ;)

10" disc on new surface

CTX-107 pressure plate

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Nicely done on the clutch Jimmy.

Thanx for breaking ground on this.

I am very sorry to hear about your father. I don't have any other words as there are none.

Jaysin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Nicely done on the clutch Jimmy.

Thanx for breaking ground on this.

I am very sorry to hear about your father. I don't have any other words as there are none.

Jaysin
Yeah hopefully in the next week or so I'll have time to swap it in....really does not take that long...just have to set my mind to it ;)....and thanks for the kind words... I really wish more people could have met my father....he was a truly kind spirit and loved helping people.... always enjoyed a challenge when it came to solving new problems ....gonna miss his energy and kindness for sure....

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
Sorry for your loss

Jimmy,

So sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine. Selfishly, I am glad that I did get to meet him, and to admire his mechanical work and all around shop skills. Wish my mechanic buddy down here would have heard your Dad's advice about checking the gear oil twice when reinstalling a transmission.

I wish you peace and your father rest and salvation.

Rick

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing Jimmy. He sounds like a great man who gave you a lot.

Thanks for reminding us that this is all just fun stuff we try and build and tweak and wreck and rebuild. It's a good check on how I spend my time and on how I prioritize.

Geno Prida

TDI
1997 AHU in a 1993 Toyota PU
Doing a tdi swap into a 93 TOY pu. I want to use the ecu from a 02 Jetta. Replaced turbo and injectors, will be runing 3" exhaust and an intercooler. Have not a clue how to modify the wiring harness. also want to chip the ecu. want this 1z engine to develope 150+ hp. Pls help!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Doing a tdi swap into a 93 TOY pu. I want to use the ecu from a 02 Jetta. Replaced turbo and injectors, will be runing 3" exhaust and an intercooler. Have not a clue how to modify the wiring harness. also want to chip the ecu. want this 1z engine to develope 150+ hp. Pls help!
Hey Geno and welcome! :)....lots of info in the conversion section!!... good useful info comes not only from the toyota swap threads but all the TDI swap threads....also check out the power enhancement section, read read read my friend!!:D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
first time hauling with my taco ;)....my buddy Tom (amosdoodle) and I rode down east to pick up this 24' x 36' building/trailer craigslist package deal (it's heavy!) ....the taco could really use a lower R&P (3.59's now) for getting rolling ....truck did great however and we still did the 250 mile + round trip on just over 1/2 tank :)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Well done!

What transmission do you have in there? What is 1st gear's ratio?

Does that equate to ~10 gallons?

Tony
thanks Tony!! ....transmission is the stock W59 with iirc a 3.95 first ?....I have two r151's in shop with the 4.30 first gear so that would help some, but to adapt them to left hand drop t cases is pretty expensive....I'll probably end up going with 4.10 final drives to help it out of the hole with a load.... as for fuel econ I don't see it getting much under 30mpg even with that load because my speed was much slower and very steady...more like 8 gallons and I drove a couple of days on that tank before the trip down east ;)

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
This is where the 4.10s would be more ideal. You want to get rid of one of those R151s?
26spline output, talk about an oddball.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
This is where the 4.10s would be more ideal. You want to get rid of one of those R151s?
26spline output, talk about an oddball.
I'm pretty sure the r151 has 23 spline .... It's the w59 (stock tacoma 3rz Trans) that has the oddball 26 spline ..... I do need to get rid of one those r151 trannies ;) .... The one that has the tcase adapter and bell housing I'm keeping....the other one is a bare trans, no tcase adapter or bell housing.... You can use an early r150 bell and the early r150 tcase and adapter

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Oh, I was referencing the w59 as the oddball.

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Update request. How's the new clutch holding up? I want to do a Tacoma swap as well but one of my major concerns is that the clutches for the Toyota flywheel and trans combo don't seem to handling a tuned ALH very well.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Update request. How's the new clutch holding up? I want to do a Tacoma swap as well but one of my major concerns is that the clutches for the Toyota flywheel and trans combo don't seem to handling a tuned ALH very well.
Gonna try and get it in before Dan's gtg in a few weeks, also going to do a wiring 101 for Toyota swapping .... Just have been super busy