Worst mod idea ever

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
My son, an electrician, was visiting for Thanksgiving. He loves the 110V outlet in my '09, and was thinking up all kinds of 'cool' things you could do with it.

Hist very worst idea (and the one he is seriously pestering me to do): Christmas lights.

OOOh My Gawd.... :eek:

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Hah. Here where I live people have fridges, microwave ovens, navigation & sattelite systems, tv sets and many many other things designed to operate with that slot :D

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
My buddy has had christmas lights in his van for years running off an inverter. the idea is not new.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
DoctorDawg said:
My son, an electrician, was visiting for Thanksgiving. He loves the 110V outlet in my '09, and was thinking up all kinds of 'cool' things you could do with it.
Doc, I luv this idea. How is it bad :confused:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
My ECOdiesel last winter:

I gotta figure out how I'm gunna mount the wreath on my TDI for this year...

-Jason

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Any RV place can set you up with 12v christmas lights if that is what you want. No need for an inverter to suck your energy too.

TDI
2004 golf
I recall using an inverter and xmas lights in an old cadillac when i was 17 or so. Pinned them up to the headliner, which killed 2 birds with 1 stone, since it was always sagging badly.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Gentlemen I am shocked - shocked - to discover that my son isn't the only one around here with all his taste in his mouth.

Actually, maybe it would be kinda cool....

Just have to avoid white lights to the rear and red to the front, I guess. Maybe green and yellow all around....

...not.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Wouldn't LEDs be a practical solution for an application like this?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Others may disagree, but there is actually a law at least in Virginia prohibiting displaying extra colored lights on either the front or rear of a car. When I had my trucking company I always saw trucks getting called behind the inspection station and being made to remove the colored lights.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I think I saw a "six foe" "donked" impalla with Christmas lights in the windshield... it was being driven by a leopard skin coat wearing gentleman with a peacock feather in his hat... had probably 4 chicks in the car at the same time...

lucky man!

moral:
chicks dig guys with Christmas lights

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
My children have strung Christmas lights in Wife's Odyssey ever since we bought it. It too has a 110 outlet.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
cmitchell said:
My children have strung Christmas lights in Wife's Odyssey ever since we bought it. It too has a 110 outlet.
you don't have a peacock feather... do you?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm curious, where does the 110v come from?
What type of alternator is required that can recharge a 12.6 battery and
also supply 110v AC? I vaguely remember, either Cadillac or Mercury had
something similiar to operate a windshield defogger, but I think it was dis-
continued.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Design the lights with a sound system and play some Trans Siberian Orchestra with the pulsing lights. Then drive around town with a feather in your cap and all the women will be running.