wisc tdi owners

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Co-worker took his 03 TDI to Hall a couple years ago to have the timing belt changed...Guess who helped him put a new cylinder head and all the timing belt components on when the tensioner came loose and skipped a few teeth....I took my car there once for an engine problem and the "Free Car Wash" idiot used a squeegee to "dry" my car and put a bunch of scratches in it.

Was it the timing belt tensioner or the accessory belt tensioner that "went bad"?

If it was the timing belt tensioner, you better have someone look at it who knows what they're doing (because Hall does not). You might be best off to buy a new cam/lifters/valves and replace them all as a preventative measure before a valve breaks off and then you get to buy a new engine and turbo.

If it was the accessory belt tensioner - then you can come down from Defcon 5 and relax a little.

Don't mean to get you off on the wrong foot, but don't want to see you have problems either.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Those morons at hall couldn't find their butt with both hands.

The consistently tension the TB tensioner the WRONG DIRECTION. I've caught almost 40 of them in 5 years. Pretty F'ing sad.....

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Now you see a reason so many Milwaukee area TDI's go over to Jason... cryin' shame.

I bought my 2006 vw jetta tdi from hall Volkswagen in brookfield a little while ago. And the belt tensioner went bad between my test-drive and the next day of picking it up. I didn't sign any papers till they fixed it. They fixed it in about a week not knowing what the problem was. I do have to say though when my father took his 2006 vw jetta tdi in to have recall work done on it. They never reset the lights on the dashboard and they had mixed up our paperwork with another vehicle not even the same year or color...... There service center sucks very bad. My vehicle was not fixed at this location but somewhere over in mayfair wi. I will never take my vehicle here to get it fixed as they are not even competent enough to call us when our vehicle is done or get the right paperwork or even reset a light they did a repair for......

jasonTDI

TDI
Hi Kyle.

Hope things are well in WA.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Hi Kyle.

Hope things are well in WA.
Hi Jason!

Going pretty well- Nicole's farm is taking off, we've released the new biodiesel analyzer (different company with the other person that knew something at PS), and we might be down to 1 TDI soon... with a move up to Seattle I'll be able to stick mostly to the bike.

I have to say I miss the GTG's out there... maybe I just haven't found it because we've been so busy, but I'm not as much TDI geekery out here. Lots of biodiesel geekery, but just straight-up playing with TDI's isn't as common.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Any GTG's in SE Wisconsin scheduled?

Does anyone know if there are any GTG's scheduled for SE Wisconsin? I have heard about these, and it seems like they are both informative and fun. Never been to one....

Anyone?

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Any chance you can send me a private message with your phone number or email? I haven't figured this site out that well yet.... Got too many questions to post here.... :D

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
That was the thread I saw some time ago. Was not sure if people were still going to this one or not.

Does anyone know if there is still a GTG on the last Thursday of the month?

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I havent been to the last thursday gtg at the brat stop in quite sometime nor have I seen in a while someone inquire if anyone was going to show. So it might be a good idea to verify through here that someone is going to be there. Summers are easier for me to show because of the navigator is out of school.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
That was the thread I saw some time ago. Was not sure if people were still going to this one or not.

Does anyone know if there is still a GTG on the last Thursday of the month?

There is a GTG if some show-up, and if not if no-one shows-up. It is best to post an interest to show-up and see if anyone else is likely to be there. It is mostly a GTG of talking, with little, and only lite work on the car(s).

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
wow, a ton of people from southern or eastern WI...not so much from central or western. i'm actually surprised to see a couple of pointers on here though.

-Stevens Point (Central WI)
-2011 Dark Gray Jetta TDI

Send me a PM if you're from Point or central WI. :D

jasonTDI

TDI
Actually there are a ton. Nobody posts though.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
We are a pretty quiet group. But if its suggested to meet up somewhere. You are bound to get some responses.

Rescuefireman15

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver 5 speed
South Milwaukee
Racine Fireman,
2003 Silver TDI 165,000miles

Jason has touched my car in ways I can't talk about!

jasonTDI

TDI
That would be a $40 really dirty car surcharge.

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
It appears that I have not posted in this thread.

JasonTDR is my guru. I happily drive across the state to bask in his competence.

I am pleased with the $10K work that Sparkle Auto Body did for me. I took the car there on JasonTDR's recommendation.

I called Motorville VW Sheboygan for an alignment and they wanted a week's notice for being slammed. I drove by to see not a soul in the shop. Never take your VW to a stealership.

I had the alignment done at Kevin's on Kentucky St. in Sturgeon Bay, a general auto service shop, and am well pleased. Competent work done at a reasonable price and THEY LET ME WATCH.

I have VAG-COM VCDS.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I called Motorville VW Sheboygan for an alignment and they wanted a week's notice for being slammed. I drove by to see not a soul in the shop. Never take your VW to a stealership.
Doug

Just asking - What did you mean by " a week's notice for being slammed."?

jasonTDI

TDI
The shop probably said they were busy and could in no way look at the car. Yet, a drive-by showed no activity.

tshoe32

TDI
2001 TDI GLS 5-speed
Anybody from SE WI and NE IL want to GTG???

Looking to see if anyone in SE WI and NE IL would like to GTG.
I went to the dyno day at Platteville, WI and met some nice guys. Be nice to meet up again.

Todd

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Usually on the last thursday of the month some of us will meet up at the Brat Stop. It has happened before where some of us will meet up on an alternate day if someone suggests it. You live in the same area as I do what color is your Jetta Ill keep an eye out.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Precisely.
OK. But were you looking at the wright-up hall, that goes through the building north / south. Or the service shop that runs east / west.

I don't like to have to wait to get my car worked-on when needed, like you. But I hate it even more, if my car does not get done on time, because someone else drove in to have routine work and my car was put aside. This is not only a problem at dealer service shops, but anywhere.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI