Winter tires, whos put them on?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I don't know if my question has been answered but there's too much to go thru. I have Conti's on my car right now, so my question is, is it ok to just have 2 front winter tires and keep the rear tires?
It is not recommended. You would have different traction front to reat which tends to spin you on slippery surfaces while braking. Winter tires have a rubber compound intended for the cold & have a tread that bites ice much better than summer or all season tires.

kisseer

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
I have been in the winter/summer tire crowd since I lived in Michigan 20 years ago. I was glad to have the studded General Altimax Arctic tires on the 2010 Jetta TDI this week when the bad weather hit NW Ohio.

The Audi wheels were free and the 45 offset works pretty well in the Jetta.

We purchased a different van last summer for my wife and it had all-season tires on it because the winter wheels from the old van would not fit. I figured she would not notice and she would just drive less when it snowed. That lasted about ten minutes into the first snow and she was lobbying for fresh snow tires.

Thanks,
Eric

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Just bought an 09 JSW, luckily the snow tires from my old Passat fit (Michelin X ice 2). The dealer I bought the car from had put new tires on and they were straight up summer tires. I had a few scary moments on the icy roads here in MN, couldn't wait to get the winter rubber on. Now everything's good!

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Just bought an 09 JSW, luckily the snow tires from my old Passat fit (Michelin X ice 2). The dealer I bought the car from had put new tires on and they were straight up summer tires. I had a few scary moments on the icy roads here in MN, couldn't wait to get the winter rubber on. Now everything's good!
I cant believe a dealer in MN wouldnt put all season tires on.

He probably couldnt sell them and figured it would be your fault if you smashed the car.

Yay dealers. :rolleyes: Dirt bags.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I know. I couldn't figure out why I had no traction at all, I have seriously never experienced anything like that. Once I googled the tires it clicked. Luckily nothing happened.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Thank (insert your deity of choice) for winter tires!

Volks:

Several years ago I bought a set of winter tires for Liath and over the last last couple relatively snowless winters I was beginning to question whether they were a good investment. However, this year I am thanking my lucky stars that I did. Cold weather and lots of snow this year have reassured me about my original line of thinking. Watching the other cars on the road struggle to start and stop while Liath soldiers on makes me happy with the decision to get a set of dedicated winter tires. And driving my other vehicles with decent "All Season" tires makes me appreciate the winter tires even more. They may not always be needed, but having at least one vehicle with winter tires sure makes things alot easier and helps with my confidence level. I just remember to not get too cocky because Old Man Winter will still bite you in the a## if given the opportunity. Thanks for listening.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
In recent years I've been extolling the virtues of my former Continental ExtremeWinterContacts, and my current Michelin X-Ice 3's for the following reasons:
1) quiet like an all-season.
2) ride/handling like an all-season.
3) good mileage for snow tires.
These were great for the previous recent winters that were mild.

However, with this winter's more abundant snow, I'm not as happy with these X-Ices. I am breaking traction and the TCS is engaging all the time. At stop light, I regularly have all-season-shod FWD cars out-accelerate me from a stop, as I can't seem to get traction. Partly it's the greater abundance of torque of the CR TDI. Partly it's because its tires are wider. I never have the ABS kick in, and cornering grip is fine. But it's all too easy to break the front wheels loose at a start.

I'm thinking that my next set of snows will be more aggressive. The Conti and Michelins have less open space in their tread, which makes them ride better. But I think next time around I'll try the General Altimax Arctics, or Hakkepleitas, and deal with a little more squirmy and noisy ride, for a bit more aggressive bite.

'Course I'll do that, and then we won't get snow. ;)

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
We've had record snow in Michigan this year and I am running the General Altimax Arctic's and I absolutely love them. Best handling car ever for me in the snow.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
We've had record snow in Michigan this year and I am running the General Altimax Arctic's and I absolutely love them. Best handling car ever for me in the snow.
It is the same here in Wisconsin. I am running the Altimax Arctics...what a great inexpensive winter tire. This winter has been very trying on both man and machine. These tires have performed admirably. Kinda squimy in warm weather but that was back in November when I first mounted them.

Stay warm all,
Michael

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
I just got a set of the X-Ice III 17". A huge upgrade over my five week old A/S 3's.

I finally got the joke. All Season tires are anything but good for all seasons.

The X-Ices have been good so far in the Mid-Atlantic, but sounds like you Mid-Western guys are (always) getting a bit more snow/ice than we do. Even with the Arctic Blast.

A set of winters is a great investment.

8v-of-fury

That was the most BS test I ever did see. The 2 wheel car all of the sudden lost FRONT WHEEL TRACTION when they put summer tires on the rear?? Hmm howd that happen.

They put the snows on the rear of the two wheel car.. The front PLOWED through corners, either that or she was going WAY faster.

NOW that is not to say she isn't right.. I've had oversteer on my 84 with all 4 brand new winters.. and I've had understeer as well. Sooo suck on that.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
That was the most BS test I ever did see. The 2 wheel car all of the sudden lost FRONT WHEEL TRACTION when they put summer tires on the rear?? Hmm howd that happen.

They put the snows on the rear of the two wheel car.. The front PLOWED through corners, either that or she was going WAY faster.
I watched it three times and I did not see what you say happened. She went through that long curve/skid path very quickly; the front tires pulled it through. If the winter tires had been in back, the Golf would have plowed straight ahead unless she slowed way down.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Note that she had SUMMER tires on the other 2 wheels, not 'all-season.' Few folks here in North America actually have summer tires, which you would never want to use in the snow anyway.
Maybe she used "summer" to distinguish from "winter" tires, and not as distinct from what we call "all-season." IMO if that Golf had what we call "summer performance" tires in the rear, the back end would have slid out even more in the test.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.

NOW that is not to say she isn't right.. I've had oversteer on my 84 with all 4 brand new winters.. and I've had understeer as well. Sooo suck on that.
Take it like you want mate. It's just a vid. So YOU can suck on that.

8v-of-fury

When she was doing the cones on the 2 tire car, she came around one and then plowed straight through. With the whole two good tires up front phenom.. The rear of the car is squirly.. not the front, with the good tires.

It understeered with the only front tires, and not a touch when all four tires were used.. WEIRD. Usually with the ****ty tires on the back of a FWD you get over steer not under steer.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Here's a sobering thought for you:

In previous years, I've usually taken off my snow wheels in late February.

That would be ~2 weeks from now.

Early March at the latest.

Don't think that's happening this year.....

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Here's a sobering thought for you:

In previous years, I've usually taken off my snow wheels in late February.

That would be ~2 weeks from now.

Early March at the latest.

Don't think that's happening this year.....
Well my program has been to put them on right around Thanksgiving and take them off at Easter time. Will see about Easter this year. It is a ways out yet but, with this crazy winter who knows? What some don't think about is that even if there is not much snow and ice the rubber compounds have more pliability and hence better grip even on a dry road when it is cold vs an all season.

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What some don't think about is that even if there is not much snow and ice the rubber compounds have more pliability and hence better grip even on a dry road when it is cold vs an all season.
^^^ This. I've driven on "no-season" tires that had tread aggressive enough to get through snow okay. But there definitely is less grip on packed snow and ice. Even without a ton of snow in a given winter, a better tread compound is a good reason to run proper winter tires. In areas where the temperature fluctuates widely, though (not here, unfortunately), some winter tires will feel really squirrely on the warm days.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Snow tires have LONGER stopping distances on dry pavement than summer or all-season tires.

And so it is. The summer tires (actually you could also think of them as three-season tires) top the charts in acceleration (8.7 seconds), stopping distance (120 feet) and lateral acceleration (0.86g). OK, this acceleration figure isn't the best we've ever achieved with a Civic Si, but for the sake of consistency we're still using traction control for these launches.

Our all-season tire ties for top honors in the 0-60 test with another 8.7-second run, but its stopping distance and lateral grip figures sag in comparison to the summer tire, with marks of 131 feet and 0.84g, respectively. Not bad, but still second-best.

Pity the poor snow tires, as they are well and truly out of their element here. They manage a competitive 8.9-second acceleration pass to 60 mph, but the 155-foot braking runs and 0.81g lateral acceleration laps take a visible toll on the tread, which might not make it to the car's next oil change if we keep this up. And the noise they make when cruising straight and level reminds us of a lifted off-road pickup.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Originally Posted by frugality:
Snow tires have LONGER stopping distances on dry pavement than summer or all-season tires.
At what temperature was this testing done?
According to the article, they test near Los Angeles, so we can pretty well assume that the ambient temperature was well above the 45-50 degree threshhold at which winter tires get out of their (figurative) element. No news here.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I guarantee a lot of all seasons brake far worse in 10F weather.