Winter tires, whos put them on?

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Alright, Minnesota Winter, it is time to finally leave us. As much as I like my winter tires, I can't wait to see my car with its nicer rims again...

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Same here, My tires seem to be getting noisier, or I'm just sick of them.

Took my one summer tire/wheel into the tire place earlier this week, last fall when I pulled them off I found a screw in one.

Was going to put them on the car, but yesterday we had 1/2" of frozen slush and saw a car upside down in the ditch on the way to work....

My summer tires are WORTHLESS in the snow!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Is it too early to bump up the snow tire thread? :)

Public service announcement....get your snow tire orders in now before they sell out when the first snows arrive....

Just ordered my sister some General Altimax Arctics for her little Toyota Echo up in northern Minnesota (Virginia MN.) Previously she had Dunlop Graspics.

So thanks for the recommendations on this forum regarding the Altimax's. I'm probably going to go with them next time. Currently I have 1 winter on Michelin X-Ice's, but still the torque of the TDI can overcome them pretty easily. ABS rarely kicks in, so with all 4 wheels braking, there's plenty of traction. But just launching the front 2.... I was depressed how many non-snow-tire-shod cars could walk away from me at stop lights, as my traction control kicked in and I felt like I had no grip.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Red Dragon suggested to me the other day that and I quote "Tire rack has closeout prices on blizzak ws70s of some sizes. Didn't know if you have winter tyres yet." might be worth a looksy.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Here in BC you need Winter - or snow tires from Oct. 1 to April 30 on most Roads. Signs are up. Last year the COP's handed Tickets out and it was +30. Have not seen any news on this year again on TV....

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Just looked up winter tire prices for my Passat, almost had a heart attack! Anyone running 16" wheels on their 2012-2014 Passat? 16's are significantly cheaper than 18's.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Looks like 16's will fit your Passat. Not only are they cheaper, but they will ride better (taller sidewall, more rubber, softer ride, especially when cold), and have a bigger contact patch. The downside is handling compared to your stock wheels. They'll feel more squrimy. But personally I don't care about that.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Just looked up winter tire prices for my Passat, almost had a heart attack! Anyone running 16" wheels on their 2012-2014 Passat? 16's are significantly cheaper than 18's.
I run 16's on the Passat. No way I'm paying the premium for 17's or 18's...

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Awesome thanks, i can get a set of 16" wheels and General Altimax tires from Tire Rack mounted and balanced for what a set of 18" winter tires cost.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
First winter in IN so I found some 185/65-15 Blizzacks and some steelies for the Jetta. The tires were new on Craigslist for $220 so I figured a 2% tire size difference was worth saving $100.

When do you all normally put them on? Do you rotate snow tires more often since they are softer?

Just waiting for snow....

TDIRoady

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6-speed auto (DSG) w/Sun & Nav, Moonrock Silver Metallic, Cornsilk Beige
Just bought (4) 16" Steelies, mounted with Michelin x-Ice3's and hub caps from Tire Rack. They are not installed yet even though Chicago area had early moring flurry's yesterday I Minus sized from O.E. 17". JSW's dash settings allow you to change to Minus sizing in order to calibrate gauges. 1st winter with "Snow Tires" in a long time since the last 4 vehicles have been AWD SUV's, running All-Season tires. I'll report back after this, hopefully mild, winter.

BTW, almost went with the new Blizzak W80's. Tire Racks preliminary testing of the W80 showed slightly better snow/ice response than the x-Ice3's but not as quiet and not as long wearing. Close decision in picking one over the other but quietness and presumed longevity, as well as wear warranty, won out.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
When do you all normally put them on?
Depends. I usually get my winter tires put on as part of annual maintenance. They are always on by Halloween because by then we've had a few frosts and sometimes even snow that sticks to the roads -- and because I run summer tires, not all-seasons, so I've got no grip on ice.. Some folks have the ability to swap tires right in their own garages, so they may wait until late November or so to swap all-seasons for winter tires.

Do you rotate snow tires more often since they are softer?
You could, I guess. But, really, snow tires aren't any softer than pure performance summer tires. Would you rotate those more often? Besides, weather does not change the car's dynamics. On front-drive cars, the front tires still will get the bulk of the wear from starting, steering, and stopping the car.

Then there's the part about making sure the better tires are always on the back. Putting the tires with the most traction up front is one of the fastest ways I know to make the back of the car the front of the car. So at some point you really won't be able to rotate them safely.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Awesome thanks, i can get a set of 16" wheels and General Altimax tires from Tire Rack mounted and balanced for what a set of 18" winter tires cost.
Yes, I got mine at Discount Tire and did the same thing. General Altimax Arctic's with Momo Winter II wheels. Rather keep my 18" OEM rims clean and not going through the slush, snow, ice, salt, etc.

I will probably put my snow tires on around Thanksgiving. That's when I put them on last year.

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Then there's the part about making sure the better tires are always on the back. Putting the tires with the most traction up front is one of the fastest ways I know to make the back of the car the front of the car. So at some point you really won't be able to rotate them safely.
To be honest, I rotate the winters only every time they get swapped over. This means that at the start of the season, the most worn are mounted on the rear, but they (more than) even out as the season goes on. You have to keep in mind that these cars will plow like a Case-IH all things being equal, so a bit of rotation isn't a bad thing while cornering. Maybe braking in a corner it would be less stable, but you have to anticipate when transferring weight forward the nose will rotate, and change your steering angle accordingly. When the time comes to buy a new set (will be Winter 2015-16 for me), even though two tires might have another season left, I'll get a new set of four. That's too dramatic of a wear difference, not to mention you may not be able to find the same generation of tires (and may not want to, since technology will have evolved).

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Just finished painting up my new to me winter wheels and tires this past weekend. $275 for the wheels and tires, about $50 in blasting sand and paint, and WAYYYY too much time...they are acceptable now.

And yes, I cleaned up the overspray.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
heh, that's why I had the dealer swap 16" wheel/tires from a Passat S when I bought my car. I was shocked at the price difference for tires going from 16" to 17", summer or winter tires. Ordered a set of Michelin X-Ice3 from Costco today.

:)

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Early start this year

Volks:

I took advantage of the nicer weather yesterday to put the Blizzaks on Liath. This is the earliest I have put the winter tires on the car since I have had them, but since it snowed on Halloween and we actually had a small amount of accumulation I don't think it's the wrong move. I may be shaking my head when we get those 70 degree days in December, but let's just chalk that up to Global Warming, excuse me, climate change instead.

Dan

D_Squared

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2D 6M
Probably a couple weeks away for me. I have a 300 mi round trip the 14-16 that I would like to get on the summers then the winters can go on for deer season as it snowed last year.

JimsR6

TDI
MK6 GTI. MK3 Jetta TDI. 2013 Yamaha R6
Put mine on the mk3 this weekend
185/65r14 general altimax arctic.
So far on clear and clean roads I like them just fine. Not to much road noise at all and seem to ride better than the 195/60r14 hankooks I have on the stock rims.
I'll give an update when I get to try them out in the snow.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Put them on mine and the wife's cars today. We are supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow, and looks like temps next week are pretty cold, too.

kjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone!
Usually do mine around Thanksgiving, but I keep thinking that I should do it sooner or later. We also had snow on Halloween and I saw a few flakes this morning too (36ºF currently) - so it is temps that Winter tires prefer. I spent yesterday installing a Frost Heater though, so I'm prepared there now...

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The 10-day forecast looks like winter. So on went my snow tires/wheels.

I gotta say, 16's ride so much nicer than 17's. Yeah, turn-in is a little mushier. But I may have to consider ditching the Goals and get some 16" summers.

I also had my first bulb go out, after 150k miles. Brake light bulb. I replaced a license plate bulb at maybe 100k, but that doesn't count.... Now, my Mk4 went through headlight bulbs ever 20k miles, and I went through a few taillight bulbs.

8v-of-fury

Its 2F here, snows falling and I am on bald shoes from 2007! lol

fungi131

TDI
2005 golf
I purchased a set of the General Altimax Arctics from Tire Rack during the rebate in Sept. I got them mounted and an alignment on Nov 11. It took 4 hours due to the rush of last minute people buying tires before the snow came. We got 4-6 inches last night and now I am driving a sure footed billy goat. I love these tires, very good in the snow and slush.

kjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone!
I was skeptical about getting dedicated tires for winter, but did so two winters ago after the testimonials here and I will never go another winter without them; even got some for my wife's little truck (crossover).

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I just got my Consumer Reports 2015 buying guide, and the Altimax Arctics were rated surprisingly low, at about 1/3 from the bottom. I just bought a set of those for my sister, based on opinions here. I'm sure they're still way better than all-seasons, but I was surprised to see them rated below most of the rest of the competition.

Nokian WR G3's -- all-season-but-winter-rated tires -- came out on top. And that was in the 'performance winter' category, too!

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Loved my General Altimax Arctic's. I drove 24 years on All Season radials without an issue. The Generals were far better than the all season tires. For the money, I'm 100% fully satisfied.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Loved my General Altimax Arctic's. I drove 24 years on All Season radials without an issue. The Generals were far better than the all season tires. For the money, I'm 100% fully satisfied.
They are not the best winter tires, but they are a good tire for the money.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
For the money, I'm 100% fully satisfied.
That's the whole USP behind the Altimaxes. They're an older design (originally Gislaved's) but they still work pretty well. And they come at a great price compared to the top-tier tires from Nokian, Michelin, etc. If they were priced the same as Hakkas, General wouldn't be selling many of them. JMHO.