Why no gauges?

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
The one thing that chaps mon derriere with my new 2014 Jetta TDI Premium is the fact that there are no gauges. I sure would like to install at very minimum oil pressure and coolant temp. I found one of these "housings" that fit over the steering column with cut out for the two stalks. But I find from contacting the manufacturer that it won't fit the 2014. MERDRE! Then I though I'd hit the homer with the Edge Products CTS. Once again a brick wall. Why TF can't Vee Dub put basic instrumentation into it's vehicles? I've seen models with gauges at the bottom of the two displays. Was that an "option"?

Coal

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The warning lamps work just fine. Gauges are really just eye candy, most people would never even pay attention to them or know what they mean anyways.

Besides, with the newer cars, things like variable displacement oil and water pumps, dual path thermostats, and some very stringent temp control components, the computer is keeping good track of all that stuff anyways.

The [current] Jetta is a cheap, $16k car. If you got a TDI, you got a cheap car with an expensive engine. Still a cheap car. And to keep that price point where it is, they can't add on a bunch of superfluous stuff most buyers won't use. Instead you get a fancy radio, iPod-iPhone-iPad adapter stuff, etc.

Now I am not saying I necessarily agree with that, but the manufacturers are going after what MOST consumers want, not what a few car enthusiasts want. Personally I'd rather have full gauges and hand crank windows, if I had to choose between the two.

I've often thought that Volkswagen could add an "enthusiast package" to any/all of their models, especially the more plebian versions like the lowly Jetta sedan, and appease folks like us.

Last edited:

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, all that being said does anyone make a decent gauge cluster package that is "pleasing to the eye" and easy to install? IMO "idiot lights" go on when things have already gone south way to far.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, all that being said does anyone make a decent gauge cluster package that is "pleasing to the eye" and easy to install?
No. You can access coolant temp, boost, possibly fuel temp, and other data via the DLC, with some plug in devices like Scangauge, etc.

However, on your car, there is no oil pressure sender, just a simple switch, so that data won't be any different than what the cluster can already tell you.

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, so at what pressure does that "switch" close/open to annunciate "low" oil pressure? Is there a place on the pressure side of the oil system where a "tapping" can be done? Like maybe a tee fitting with a port for a gauge. I'd wager like with most of this stuff the switch is of some God awful thread that only can be purchased through VW. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my "first" import vehicle and get used to all this crap.

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
OK, so at what pressure does that "switch" close/open to annunciate "low" oil pressure? Is there a place on the pressure side of the oil system where a "tapping" can be done? Like maybe a tee fitting with a port for a gauge. I'd wager like with most of this stuff the switch is of some God awful thread that only can be purchased through VW. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my "first" import vehicle and get used to all this crap.
I think you worry WAY too much about things. Drive more, worry less. And if you're interested, read this:

http://www.natef.org/natef/media/natefmedia/vw files/2-0-tdi-ssp.pdf

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
The warning lamps work just fine. Gauges are really just eye candy, most people would never even pay attention to them or know what they mean anyways.

Besides, with the newer cars, things like variable displacement oil and water pumps, dual path thermostats, and some very stringent temp control components, the computer is keeping good track of all that stuff anyways.

The [current] Jetta is a cheap, $16k car. If you got a TDI, you got a cheap car with an expensive engine. Still a cheap car. And to keep that price point where it is, they can't add on a bunch of superfluous stuff most buyers won't use. Instead you get a fancy radio, iPod-iPhone-iPad adapter stuff, etc.

Now I am not saying I necessarily agree with that, but the manufacturers are going after what MOST consumers want, not what a few car enthusiasts want. Personally I'd rather have full gauges and hand crank windows, if I had to choose between the two.

I've often thought that Volkswagen could add an "enthusiast package" to any/all of their models, especially the more plebian versions like the lowly Jetta sedan, and appease folks like us.
Ditto.

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the input. Just used to monitoring gauges while driving and there were "idiot lights" as well. Could tell at a glance just by gauge needle position if everything was OK. I looked over the data on the Scan Gauge II. Simple enough to install and better than what's there already.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
There's something available that fits into the driver's side dash vent opening. Haven't subscribed to European Car for a few years, so I don't recall who makes it. They used to have ads in there.

Edit: http://www.p3cars.com/

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There's something available that fits into the driver's side dash vent opening. Haven't subscribed to European Car for a few years, so I don't recall who makes it. They used to have ads in there.

Edit: http://www.p3cars.com/
P3 cars has great gauges - there's a TDI one for sale on vwvortex classifieds now. Not sure if the Jetta vents are the same as the Golf ones though

piper109

Veteran Member
I remember the Beetle I owned in CH. It did not even have a fuel gauge. Instead you had a lever to flip under the dash. If you forgot to reset it, you were out of gas next time. Windshield washer was powered by the spare tire too....worked great :)
Times have changed and my wife's tdi Beetle has a fuel gauge but no water temp gauge. My 2012 JSW has both !! :)

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I still prefer a manual transmission while my wife and others prefer an auto. They say why do all the work when today's autos do it perfectly fine for you? And wait until you get into heavy traffic and have to shift a lot-then you'll be sorry.

I guess I haven't evolved. The autos are more expensive to buy, maintain and repair/replace. Sure, there are clutch and pressure plate to replace on a manual but how often is that? And rather than doing it "perfectly fine for you" sometimes they surge and shift when you don't want to shift. And I've not been in that much traffic that I've been sorry to have a MT, since they're so easy to shift nowadays.

I don't begrudge those that prefer an AT. But maybe times have passed me by.

Many cars today don't offer MT. I guess we just have to roll with the changes.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Don't need an oil pressure gauge on a highly tuned one, let alone a new stock TDI.
Buy a Polar / Scangauge and be done with it.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
OK dumb question here, does the jetta not have a temp gauge? , my 11 JSW does am I missing something?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
OK dumb question here, does the jetta not have a temp gauge? , my 11 JSW does am I missing something?
That is correct, the mkvi jetta does NOT have a temp gauge. The mkvi JSW is at its core a mkv JSW with a facelift inside and out. In most other places it's basically a stretched Golf.

Looks like this is the Jetta gasser. But the layout for the TDI Jetta is pretty much the same...

Last edited:

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
That is correct, the mkvi jetta does NOT have a temp gauge. The mkvi JSW is at its core a mkv JSW with a facelift inside and out. In most other places it's basically a stretched Golf.

Looks like this is the Jetta gasser. But the layout for the TDI Jetta is pretty much the same...
WOW, I would not buy that car. The lack of EGT and Boost gauges bug me.

I dont like digital displays, I want analogue. must easier to monitor at a glance, takes no brain power to take your eyes off the road, focus on the panel read the find the numbers and read them then process that info.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Very few turbocharged cars offer boost gauges. BMW is the only one that comes to mind. And no production car that I know of has an EGT gauge.

The LED fuel gauge and lack of a temperature gauge would also keep me from buying a Jetta Sedan. The '15 SEL with the lighting package has both, as does the GLI and hybrid. Fortunately the '15 Golf and Sportwagen do have those gauges.

Cars with oil pressure gauges are few and far between these days. My Mercedes and Miata both have them, but those cars are over 20 years old. And my '96 Audi A4 had an oil temperature gauge. More useful, IMO. That tells you when the car is truly warmed up, more so than coolant temp.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Forgot about that. Not sure all Beetles come with them or if it's part of an option package.

oilhammer

TDI
I've only had a handful of them through here so far, and all the TDIs had them. But yes, it may be part of some package.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package

I also wouldn't buy a vehicle without analouge gauges. My other VW has 4 besides the speedo and tachometer.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I also wouldn't buy a vehicle without analouge gauges. My other VW has 4 besides the speedo and tachometer.
Jealous. I wish these had a volt or load meter. It helped troubleshoot an electrical problem we had on one of our trucks, without needing to fiddle around the engine pay with a meter.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
MOST of the time, I don't care about gauges. I just drive. Sometimes, I want to see what's going on. I use the TorquePro Android app to look at things when I feel the need:

I'll turn it on when it's really cold and I want to know when the car is "warm enough" to flog a bit, when I think the car may be in a regen and I want a look, or if I feel like watching the boost gauge during a little spirited driving.

Again, MOST of the time, I don't need it. It's good to have no visible gauges when the car is parked. My "gauges" always come with me. :) Perhaps this can work for you, too.

Good Luck,

Scott