Why do You Still Have Your MK4 TDI?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Because my daily commute is presently a grand total of 6 miles (if I come home for lunch), and it's easier, safer, and less sweaty than riding my mountain bike.

The wife recently borrowed my MkIV wagon to go run an errand for me since I had parked behind her '13 JSW_TDI. When she returned, she commented about how this, that, and the other thing needed work on my car... Mind you, last summer she drove my Wagon from FL to Maine, during which it got a new clutch (which it needed at 225k). I believe somewhere in her comments about my car and the work it needed were the letters p.o.s., but I did my best to ignore that comment, just like I ignore the fact that she doesn't vacuum her car, or wash it, despite the bundle I paid for it after she totaled her '06 TDI.

For the $5,500 I spent to acquire my MkIV wagon in 2011, the 2 sets of tires I've put on it, the headliner I put in it, the headlights I replaced, the Koni's on all four corners, the front end parts + OEM half shafts, the trailer hitch, the AirLift bags and the clutch it got last summer. It's a bargain to drive! I MIGHT have $12k in this car over the course of nearly 8 years. The clear coat is peeling on mine, and repainting the car will run close to what it's valued at...

I'm kicking tires on the 2019 E-Golf right now, just because my daily commute is so crazy short. Even if I do pull the trigger, this MkIV may stick around because I have it rigged to tow behind the RV... If the price on the E-Golf doesn't come down to what I am envisioning, I'll keep driving the MkIV, and keep my $$$ in the bank. Maybe I'll even spend a little on a respray for my diesel powered friend!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My TDI is like a cowboy's horse. "There are other horses like it but this one is mine."
I really like this thought. I like my GSW, the 335d, and the Mercedes. But IBW is my go to car, because it's where I feel at home. I even feel more comfortable in it than my '99.5 Golf, despite it being nearly identical. Go figure.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
I've really only lurked here for 4 years since we bought our 2002. I've only had to have the timing belt replaced and the clutch. Original clutch made it 175k. I've had multiple B5 Audi A4's because they drive and feel really good. But just sold my most recent one and we bought a new Tiguan....wife wanted an automatic and we haven't had a car payment for 11 years and it was just a nice treat to have something new. I'm still torn about it, but she loves the new suv. So, now the 02 golf is mine to play with. Just replaced shocks, struts, springs and front control arms/ball joints. I'll be on to nozzles and a tune, exhaust etc...just for fun. the part of town i live in here in Colorado doesn't require emissions on the Diesel, so i don't have to worry so much about that crap every 2 years. I'll keep a cat on it. The little thing has been good to us and saved tons of money on fuel. I just can't see myself getting rid of it until i at least see it roll past 300k. Then who knows, maybe a full restore? lol. What is really too bad is that the mk4 era of TDI's didn't sell lots more cars. People's ideas of disposable cars and using tons of fuel might have been altered a bit? Why are we still producing cars that get less than 40mpg?

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Apart from nearly every reason heretofore mentioned...

I keep my Mk4 TDI because it's my mobile man cocoon. My wife hates black interiors and doesn't like MT cars (my '03 Platinum Gray has both). I've never had to share it.

I keep it because my kids think it's something special to ride in Dad's car, especially so for my preteen son. He loves that thing, though he would never tell you (or me). He and I generally mix like oil and water, so when I find something that brings us together it's one of the greatest feelings. The Jetta was/is one of those things for us.

I keep it because it allows us to be a two-car household. We're a single-income family and while money isn't incredibly tight, there's not a lot left over at the end of every pay period either. Great MPGs, low insurance costs, the fact that I can do pretty much any repair myself = big savings. I recently found an '02 ALH wagon a coworker let go of for $500 that I couldn't say no to... I've got to get it roadworthy, but once I do I'm hoping the potential benefit to our bottom line will convince my wife to start driving a manual again. The 25-year-old Lexus she drives gets less than half the MPGs and costs nearly twice as much to insure.

My only gripe is that I seem to be missing out on all the fun a tune and upgrades carry with them!

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I really like this thought. I like my GSW, the 335d, and the Mercedes. But IBW is my go to car, because it's where I feel at home. I even feel more comfortable in it than my '99.5 Golf, despite it being nearly identical. Go figure.
x2.

When you've had a vehicle as long as some of us here have, you become accustomed to every vibration, squeak, and rattle it makes, and you know exactly how much you can ask of it in a given situation. Your track time with IBW is like the off-road time I've accumulated on my XJ - it's resulted in even more "intimate" attuning to the vehicle's innate characteristics and behaviors.

With my Jeep, I've wheeled it so long with such a slow progression of lift height that I can sometimes get through things I really shouldn't, because I have that finely-honed sense of where things are underneath (largely from bonking them on rocks and stumps :D), which translates to fairly good instincts as to where to place the tires to avoid catching on/hitting things. I still bang and bump and get stuck some times, but not nearly as much as I used to when I first started going off-road.

In the same way, I have no doubt that you could push IBW closer to its limits than you could another '02 JSW that's identically configured, just because as a fully separate entity, it's got slightly different behaviors/quirks/etc. that you're not as attuned to. I'd expect the same for me with another XJ similarly set up to mine.

For guys like us who hang onto a car this long, they become as much a partner as a ride - another parallel to the range-riding cowboy of years gone by...

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Because I ascribe to the notion that fixing machines that can be fixed is a worthwhile pursuit. That said, my MKIV has not been cheap, and in 14 years I've put as much money into the car as it cost new in 2005. BUT, I like what the car does, and it serves my purposes as a daily long-distance commuter. All of the new tech in today's cars turns me off, and I know how to deal with this car. Not a spec of rust, and as long as I can continue to get parts, I intend to drive it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I agree that I've gotten to know my Wagon pretty well over the years. Recently I've thought the front end alignment is a little off, but it's so subtle I'm not sure. But I've told myself that if I think it's different, it's different. After all this time I can tell. Just like when tire balance is 1/4 oz. off. Drives my guru crazy.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I have too much invested in my Golf to part company. 45 miles a gallon as of yesterday.
That includes a Malone tune as well.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I drive it because I ave had it since new and it still puts a grin on my face daily. Of course it does have a few minor upgrades however it is reliable as always. I totaled my wagon with 508k miles 4 weeks ago and now I am back in the sedan which is currently at 339k miles. These cars are just built to be drive and love to be driven somewhat spirited.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Because the MKIV Jetta Wagon TDI is possibly the most practical car ever produced.

And because it has to last me another 5 years while we pay off the truck we just bought for my wife!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
I don’t know about the smaller ecoboost, but the 3.5’s have had issues with timing chains, and the cgi blocks apparently disintegrating (I’ve heard of one outfit ordering heater cores by the box for them), and the 5.0’s have had issues with the #7 valves pulling through the head after the warranty period ends. 5.0’s are also guaranteed to have a coolant leak from the y at the front of the engine.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
When I bought my 2003 wagon new I told people that I was going to drive it 500,000 miles or 30 years, whatever came second, and right now I'm 16 years in with 243,000 on the clock, so the 500 will probably be second.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I just hit 400K on my Wagon (bought new in '02), and was recently thinking I'll drive it for 10 more years. I'm sure the miles per year will decline (although I've been saying that for a while and they haven't), but I should be at 500K+ by then. And my '15 will be 15 years old and emissions exempt, so I can delete it and enjoy.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Fits the Bill in Many Ways...

I like the Mark IV Jetta body design. It’s simple, practical and still looks good even today. Surprisingly, at least to me, with just a few suspension upgrades (solid control arm bushings, better shocks) it handles pretty darn good for a “economy car”. If you get a performance tune or more upgrades it has the potential to be a fun ride as well. The torquey little turbo diesel has good power
(even with the AC on, on hills). The mileage is still better than many new cars.

I’ll keep driving my Jettas as long as I can still get parts to keep them running and physically able to work on them myself.

This site and the resources it provides is another big reason I like my Mark IV TDI.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
methusala wont die. oil loss twice 5 oil pans 3 cams 2 turbos one tandem pump 2 noses 3 strut changes still passes inspection !!!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Totally agree with the last two above posts. Three(?) years ago the daughter's wagon blew out the turbo oil feed line and the oil light came on AND she still drove it! The car is still on the road today.

My simple anecdotal: My car: 5 years of ownership; 75k+ miles since getting it; 51.0 mph average (even including times before intake cleaned, dragging brakes etc.) EVERY time I drive it I am happy to have it.

dynamic

TDI
'03 MKIV
Bought an ALH because I like the Golf MK4 hatchback's convenience and I appreciate the simplicity of the engine/emission system compared to newer diesels and gas cars.

I wanted to own one before they became more rare+expensive.

Overall, the majority of newer cars aren't that interesting to me (I just see technology & more plastic). I will keep this TDI as long as possible because I don't appreciate nor do I want to submit to govts' over-regulation/stranglehold on the modern auto industry.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Bought an ALH because I like the Golf MK4 hatchback's convenience and I appreciate the simplicity of the engine/emission system compared to newer diesels and gas cars.

I wanted to own one before they became more rare+expensive.

Overall, the majority of newer cars aren't that interesting to me (I just see technology & more plastic). I will keep this TDI as long as possible because I don't appreciate nor do I want to submit to govts' over-regulation/stranglehold on the modern auto industry.
I gutted my cat converter out of spite.

drozia

TDI
AFN 1.9 110 hp Cordoba SX
Toledo 1.9 ASV spends 4-5 lt per 100 km with powerful performance Why i should drive another car...

SM-N910C cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I can't possibly get rid of these cars, they remind me of my kids. Put work into one, and it toes the line and does what I expect. The other, just throws it right back at me. They look like the same model and came from the same place....!!??

The kids eventually started fixing themselves. The cars, still waiting for that and the subcompact sport model to show up. if true to life it will be very loud with a wide smiling grill and run WOT all day.

Happy Holidays to all!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I discussed my '03 Tornado Red Golf TDI earlier in this thread, back in August 2018. It now has just over 797k miles and lit up the CEL earlier this week -- probably glowplug-related, but is running better than ever with lots of smooth power and gets about 44 MPG on average. Its vitals are in my signature.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5429866&postcount=64

I also mentioned my '03 Indigo Blue Golf TDI, which now has about 147k miles. My nephew was driving it in November when the turbo bit the dust, pumping oil through the intercooler, engine, catalytic convertor and out the tailpipe. I feared for the worst, but the engine died immediately from lack of air (IC filled with oil), and it cleaned up nicely with no engine damage. Now it's got a new VNT17, 3-bar MAP, Malone tune, cat-free downpipe and straight pipe. It runs nice but will slip the clutch if pushed so I can't do that yet. But it returned over 49 MPG on a holiday road trip to southern Illinois.

Lastly, this past summer I picked up a rust-free Candy White '03 Jetta TDI wagon that came from Washington by way of Texas. It had lots of issues that were unknown when I received it, and I've probably got over $8000 in it at this point. I'll know in another 300k miles whether this purchase was a good one or a mistake. Right now my sister and brother-in-law down in Iowa are using this one. The suspension is fine for now but I'll probably lift it a few inches at some point.

All three TDIs have VNT17s or the equivalent; all have Malone tunes and upgraded Bosio nozzles; two of three have VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel combos and the other will probably get that in a few months; all have Dieselgeek Panzer plates; all have Nicktane filter heads and Cat fuel filters. None are show cars but all are good runners.

I am not even thinking of buying any more TDIs at this time. But if I hear of any that look like they're worth owning I'll spread the word.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just brought another one home yesterday... a 2004 Jetta with just shy of 200k miles. Needs some TLC, really filthy.

Krzano

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GOLF TDI 5spd.
I still have my MKIV ALH because of the fuel economy, cheap insurance, cost to maintain, simple to work on.