Where to look for click sounds?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hi all,

I have just started to get clicks when i brake and accelerate. Its coming from the front end and I haven't had a chance to look quite yet (will do so soon) but figure I'd ask to see if there any specific things to check.
Things i have noticed include:
only clicks when taking off or braking.
Makes 1-3 "clicks"/"ticks"
Speed doesn't seem to matter much but they are faint and i can only hear it with the window down. I have noticed the clicks if i really listen up intil second/ third gear then i cant hear it.

Its only 1-3 clicks when you first press the brake or accelerate in a gear. Like that initial engine rock forward or backward. The only thing is if i am stopped and give it the gas pedel to rock the engine it doesn't click so i dont think its doge bone or mount related. It seems to be related to the actual shifting of weight forward or backward in the car. Or atleast in the drive terrain area.

Thinking maybe A-arms? I did upgrade the bushings to TT ones (id parts so their good ones) this spring and they are much better, but i reinstalled them per procedure so they should be good. Im kinda lost on this one. I was just in there last week changing out tires and everything looked good, but something's making noise.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
How do your sway bar bushings look?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
How do your sway bar bushings look?
I thought they looked fine when i was in there the other day, but i will check again. When i was in there the other day it was supposed to be my last checkup/refresh before winter lol.
Thank you!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Make sure both ends of both drive axles' fasteners are tight. If you have a metal skid plate, make sure it is not rubbing near the control arms or roll mount. I have to put spacers in a lot of the DG ones to offset them down away from the car a wee bit (like, ~3-5mm, not a lot). My '99.5 was like that. A tick or creaking sound when torquing forward or reverse.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure both ends of both drive axles' fasteners are tight. If you have a metal skid plate, make sure it is not rubbing near the control arms or roll mount. I have to put spacers in a lot of the DG ones to offset them down away from the car a wee bit (like, ~3-5mm, not a lot). My '99.5 was like that. A tick or creaking sound when torquing forward or reverse.
Ooo, interesting i do have a dieselgeek skid plate. I have had it installed all summer, but just after the last time i was under the car i removed it amd installed it again due to needing to change some stuff. Maybe its shifted funny now...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Check the dogbone mount bolt also.The rod can move if it hasn't been tightened enough and rubs on the subframe
Will do. I tried rocking the engine and it is tight. I shimmed the dog bone this spring after my tume with a five gal pail and it seems good. I may pull it out for better inspection tho.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Check your heat shield that goes between down pipe and steering rack. I just spent a ton of time looking for a ticking noise under accel/decel. My heat shelf is rotted out at the mounts and laying on top of the steering rack. It just flops around in there. I think the down pipe hits it when accel/decel. It is annoying sometimes but at least I know what it is now.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Checked under the car and everything seems tight. Nothing moves. Even under as much force as i can generate. Should i just leave it then and see if it worsens?
The skid plate even seems to be connected good and proper as oilhammer suggested checking

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’ve had clicking when I did my sons control arm bushings. For some reason the Rh one was either a tad smaller on the OD of the bearing or the control arm was a tad bit bigger than spec. Every time he drove it either braking or acceleration he was having a clicking noise

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats not good news for me then. Ugh, well I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I looked at the bushings and they looked tight. I couldn't get them to budge.
I will be looking at my exhaust tho soon as i think i may have a break...tho i don't think thats the sound. We'll see

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
On occasions I have anyone play with my skid plate the washers that come with it to offset from control arm are missing (as well as some bolts and quick removal screws). Many mechanics I've seen lose half the parts that they take out. So good work Oilhammer. I often drive and pray after I leave the shop. I've had a clunk that must be the skid plate now that you mention it.

I tried meyle control arm bushings and I couldn't get them on. The vw ones worked like I'd expect and mostly quieted the clunks.

GlowBug, my exhaust vibrates the rear end but *if* I still have clunks, I have learned not to hear it.