where to find 796 halogen rear backup lights

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
As the title says, I am looking to replace my P21W with 796 halogen lights. Everywhere I look I either need to buy a pack of 10 or I have to get shipped from the USA.

Can you buy these locally in Canada? Any parts stores / car dealers that already would carry these?

Anyone have any pics of the MKIV with these installed?

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks, I may have to buy off ebay...I like the LED method, but with tinted windows I need it as bright as possible.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Are they better or just different to the ones I linked?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have yet to find a LED that will "throw" as much light as a glowing red wire. Unless you want to spend 20 bucks per bulb. I have tried lots of LEDs in the reverse light, they appear brighter but when you put the LED in one side and the incandescent in the other the difference is clear.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
The 796 is a halogen bulb running 35W versus the standard incadescent that is 21W. The lumens is almost double from 400 to 700+. The LED that you had linked to does not say what the lumens are.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Too much of a hadache to purchase the 2004 taillight housing, purchase the LED lights, and modify the housing when I can just buy the 1156 halogens (for about $20) and be done with it.

I will buy the lamps online and post some (before/after) pics. Hopefully, it produces enough light and I don't have to go the LED/04 taillight method.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
796 35W Halogen Bulbs are available in Canada...
Parts for Trucks has them for $20 each
UAP (Napa) has them for $15 each

These bulbs are used in the rotating work lights that you see on top of commercial pickup trucks. UAP Napa calls it an instrument cluster bulb

I will be picking them up tomorrow. There is also a 50W version, p/n: 795 - I don't want to push the current draw that much though...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Seatman,

I've had both in my car and they are pretty similar. One has white light the other warm white.

Unless you do the (4)light mod and change the tail light housings I don't think there is much of a difference between the two.

I still think the 15W HID would be something to try! I just never pulled the trigger on it.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
So...I installed the 35W Halogens and there is not much difference. It was noticeable, but not enough to justify the cost.

I guess I will have to look for the 2004 style taillights.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
So...I installed the 35W Halogens and there is not much difference. It was noticeable, but not enough to justify the cost.

I guess I will have to look for the 2004 style taillights.
If you do end up using the newer style housings I strongly suggest not using the halogens as you would likely be at the limit of the wiring amp wise. 4, 35 watt halogens are going to run almost 10 amps. I wish I knew for sure what the lumen rating of the LEDs I am running was, but I have not been able to find it. They are bright though.