Four reverse light mod, with pics

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I have been sick of not being able to see when I back out of my driveway at 5 in the morning. Been dealing with crap reverse backup lights for 6 years now. I bought a set of 2004 lights, the candy cane style, with intentions of making these purely LED with circuit boards and everything. Well, that never happened. Tongsli posted some 1156 LED bulbs for sale and I grabbed them with hopes to be able to install these in the lights. He asked that I document my progress so here it is.
These are my stock lights. Very pathetic.
Looking at the stock lights with stock bulbs:

Looking at the light output of the stock setup:

Looking at the stock housings with LED bulbs:

Looking at the output of stock housings and LED bulbs:

The much better 2004 style housings. Very impressive.
Looking at the 2004 style housings with LED bulbs:

Looking at the output of the 2004 style housings with LED bulbs:

There are two BIG advantages to the 2004 style housings that I noticed right away. The first one is obvious, I was able to open up the fog light hole and install more reverse lights. This was super easy. I just used a uni-bit and drilled them out until I got the correct size. The second advantage is that the clear portions of the housings are a lot more clear than the stock housings. When I had the stocks off the car and was looking them over they seemed to have a blue tint to them. Upon better review of them I was able to see what looked like a diffuser in there which harms the light output. I did not see this in the 2004 style.
The next thing I would like to do to these lights is to add LED blinker lights. When I do this I would also like to see about hooking up a diode and see if I could get even more lighting while reversing. Since the lens is clear for the blinker I think this would help even more.
These picture were taken over the course of two days, but I tried to take them at the same time in order to try to get the same lighting. I know lighting pictures are difficult to capture unless you are able to manually set up your camera, but this is the best I am able to do.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I have been sick of not being able to see when I back out of my driveway at 5 in the morning. Been dealing with crap reverse backup lights for 6 years now. I bought a set of 2004 lights, the candy cane style, with intentions of making these purely LED with circuit boards and everything. Well, that never happened. Tongsli posted some 1156 LED bulbs for sale and I grabbed them with hopes to be able to install these in the lights. He asked that I document my progress so here it is.
These are my stock lights. Very pathetic.
Looking at the stock lights with stock bulbs:

Looking at the light output of the stock setup:

Looking at the stock housings with LED bulbs:

Looking at the output of stock housings and LED bulbs:

The much better 2004 style housings. Very impressive.
Looking at the 2004 style housings with LED bulbs:

Looking at the output of the 2004 style housings with LED bulbs:

There are two BIG advantages to the 2004 style housings that I noticed right away. The first one is obvious, I was able to open up the fog light hole and install more reverse lights. This was super easy. I just used a uni-bit and drilled them out until I got the correct size. The second advantage is that the clear portions of the housings are a lot more clear than the stock housings. When I had the stocks off the car and was looking them over they seemed to have a blue tint to them. Upon better review of them I was able to see what looked like a diffuser in there which harms the light output. I did not see this in the 2004 style.
The next thing I would like to do to these lights is to add LED blinker lights. When I do this I would also like to see about hooking up a diode and see if I could get even more lighting while reversing. Since the lens is clear for the blinker I think this would help even more.
These picture were taken over the course of two days, but I tried to take them at the same time in order to try to get the same lighting. I know lighting pictures are difficult to capture unless you are able to manually set up your camera, but this is the best I am able to do.
this is a great mod!
Cheap and functional is always the best combination :D

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
nice mod :) i've always been unimpressed with the mk4 reverse lights. the reverse lights on my mk1 are twice as bright with just the stock bulbs/configuration! although in my mk4 i removed the candy-cane style housings and put the old ones in for the 5-brake light setup... (in my mk1, i wired the rear fogs to turn on the reverse lights)

in case you didn't know, you can cut a little pin off the circuit in the mk4 hazard switch so you can use LED turn signals without adding resistors. the blink speed will then remain constant regardless if a bulb is out. the speed of the blinking however is increased, but it's acceptable and feels pretty normal after you get used to it... IMO

i also have been impressed with the light output of the 1156/1157 LED bulbs from superbrightleds, although they are expensive :(

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
I remember reading a thread about cutting the pin on the hazard switch. I will have to go find it again to prepare for my next mod.

After backing out of my driveway this morning I was impressed in the quality of light output compared to stock, but, there is always one of those, it is still poor compared to the Expedition. I have no idea what they did to make those lights so bright, but man they really are. I think I will be doing the diode and blinker mod eventually, but for now this will work.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Michael, holy crap! those lights are bright. You can also run a jumper wire from your backup lights to your turn signal lights.

If you look at the bus, there are various 2 and 3 pin connectors for the reverse, rear fog, and brake lights. This is how I power my extra brake lights

I'm just don't recall if there is one for the signal. If there is, you can wire the signal light with your back up lights so you have three bulbs on when in reverse! And with those clear tails it should be even better!

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
Lito, That is what I am hoping to be able to do. I used a jumper wire to activate the other clear portion of the lower housings to make my 4 reverse lights. I hope to be able to do the same but with a diode to light up the blinker as well. The diode will keep the lower lights from flashing. At least that is the plan.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Smart! With 20% rear tint (my fault but worth it) the stock reverse lights on my MK6 dont help me at all, just warn others I am backing up.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, That is what I am hoping to be able to do. I used a jumper wire to activate the other clear portion of the lower housings to make my 4 reverse lights. I hope to be able to do the same but with a diode to light up the blinker as well. The diode will keep the lower lights from flashing. At least that is the plan.
Great! then you can call it the six bulb reverse light mod. Please post pics when you are done?

I'm most likely not going to do the HID reverse light mod, but I do think the kit I posted will fit and work in the existing bulb bus.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
6 lamps / ~12 amps is a lot of power for the reverse light switch to handle... you might want to do a relay.

-J

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not running standard bulbs. LEDs are currently used for the reverse and they would also be used for the blinkers. The LEDs I am running are 7.5 watts each. That would be a total of 45 watts. 45 watts divided by 12.4 volts = 3.63 amps. I will have to see what the fuse is rated for and what else it protects.

You do not get light output from the wattage rating, but the lumen rating.

It has been a very long time since my last electricity class so please correct me if I am wrong.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am not running standard bulbs. LEDs are currently used for the reverse and they would also be used for the blinkers. The LEDs I am running are 7.5 watts each. That would be a total of 45 watts. 45 watts divided by 12.4 volts = 3.63 amps. I will have to see what the fuse is rated for and what else it protects.

You do not get light output from the wattage rating, but the lumen rating.

It has been a very long time since my last electricity class so please correct me if I am wrong.
With regards to the signal bulb, will you modify the hazard switch or add a load resistor to keep them from hyper-flashing?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
wow, 7.5w for an LED? how many lumens? i use the standard 1156 45 SMD LED bulbs from superbright for most of my lights and those are <200 mA a piece and probably a tad brighter than regular incandescent bulbs afaict

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
6 lamps / ~12 amps is a lot of power for the reverse light switch to handle... you might want to do a relay.

-J
not only the switch, but the gauge/length of wire for the reverse lights is pretty small and long! (were you were running standard bulbs)

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
not only the switch, but the gauge/length of wire for the reverse lights is pretty small and long! (were you were running standard bulbs)
The wires will be more than adequate. Stock bulbs, two of them, at 21 watts each. 42 watts total, 12.4 volts, 3.39 amps. I would be pushing 3.63. 1/4 amp different. How many people run the 27 watt bulbs? How about all the people who run the 5 brake light mod? 21 watts x 4, 12.4 volts, 6.77 amps, TWICE what they are designed for. I would be far more worried about that.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i didn't mean with your LEDs the wires would be inadequate, only if you were to try and run ~6 standard 21w bulbs on the reverse wire then that would be a little iffy.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm doing this 4 Cree mod too and also I forgot about an Ebay purchase from waiting 37 days for shipping and bought another set from a dude on the left coast and they arrived the day before my first purchase. Great idea about using the uni-bit to cut the bulb hole too ;)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Lol they are awesome though! I definitely need to find me some bright ass leds over here, living in the middle of nowhere has it's downside as well as upside.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
in photography terms I would estimate 3 stops brighter than stock so f/5.6 for stock bulb to f/16 for Cree.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm doing this 4 Cree mod too and also I forgot about an Ebay purchase from waiting 37 days for shipping and bought another set from a dude on the left coast and they arrived the day before my first purchase. Great idea about using the uni-bit to cut the bulb hole too ;)
Take pics and let us know how this works for you.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i'm curious how bright those 7.5w 15-SMD luxeon LEDs are compare to the standard 1156 45-smd ones from superbright.. i can't find any lumens ratings on them online

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Based upon personal experience and purchasing many 1156, H3, H4 and H7-style LED replacements, the brightest versions are the ones which use Cree Q5's, Luxeon Cree & Chips On Board are brighter than the SMD & SMD 5050 LED's.

The LEDs Michael installed also have lenses at the end which help with light distribution and projection. I'm fond of the Cree Q5's because of the light distribution and intensity.

Check this one out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300973483855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

And even this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251306590387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

I'm not sure what bulb/LED you are looking for

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I am not sure what you are asking. The housings I am using are the 2004 style as posted in my first post. I opened up the extra hole in them.
Sorry, I guess what I meant was sockets, not housings. Don't those LEDs need to plug into something?