Where is the Engine Code on My Conversion?

Moxostoma

TDI
Vanagon
I had a EA288 TDI engine conversion in my Vanagon Westfalia. Unfortunately, the person that did the work is not much on paperwork (i.e. none). I think the engine is a 2016, but not really sure. Where can I find the engine code to get more information on this engine?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I had a EA288 TDI engine conversion in my Vanagon Westfalia. Unfortunately, the person that did the work is not much on paperwork (i.e. none). I think the engine is a 2016, but not really sure. Where can I find the engine code to get more information on this engine?
i'm pretty sure it's stamped into a machined rectangle between the oil filter housing and bell housing just below the cylinder head.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
North American EA288s should be CVCA, but verify as jimbote explains above.

Nice conversion! The EA288 must be much quieter and refined than builds using earlier engines. Just as important to know what engine code is that for the transmission. The EA288 was mated to taller top-gear ratios than earlier models, so it would pay big dividends for fuel economy and relaxed RPMs at highway cruising speed, as long as it's not too tall for the weight and aerodynamics of the Vanagon.

Looking at the photo, it's emissions deleted, so an ECU remap would be awesome once all the limp-home issues in your other thread are resolved. Even if you're not seeking performance and acceleration, the extra torque will allow holding a taller gear longer for better fuel economy.

Last edited:

Moxostoma

TDI
Vanagon
Jimbote: Wow! I would never have seen that. 03N 023A; 80HBH; V53. Is there any information, such as manufacturing date, that I can get from that number?

TDIMeister: It has the original VW transaxle. I know, a lot of people speculate that the EA288 has too much torque for that transmission. I had it rebuilt, including taller 3rd and 4th gears. The 4th gear is straight cut. I'm no hot rodder (I drove a 1.9 liter, 2 ton van for 35 years) so hopefully it will last. The new program for the ECU is much nicer. The torque with version 1 was wonderful, but it did make it harder to drive, especially trying to shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly. Version 2 is much more civilized, but still has power when needed.

jugganaut

TDI
Jimbote: Wow! I would never have seen that. 03N 023A; 80HBH; V53. Is there any information, such as manufacturing date, that I can get from that number?

TDIMeister: It has the original VW transaxle. I know, a lot of people speculate that the EA288 has too much torque for that transmission. I had it rebuilt, including taller 3rd and 4th gears. The 4th gear is straight cut. I'm no hot rodder (I drove a 1.9 liter, 2 ton van for 35 years) so hopefully it will last. The new program for the ECU is much nicer. The torque with version 1 was wonderful, but it did make it harder to drive, especially trying to shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly. Version 2 is much more civilized, but still has power when needed.
Hey Moxostoma - hows the Boxeer swap doing after a couple of years? Can you tell me about your transaxle rebuild with the taller 3rd and 4th? What is your top speed and what RPMs?

I've had the Boxeer swap for a few years now and gearing up for a cross country trip out west, but I want to go faster than 65...