Where does this heat shield go?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
It most certainly does not go onto what should be two studs over the compressor housing. That bit is cup shaped to conform to the general shape of the manifold and is made out of thin sheet( as in be careful with the torque applied to the nuts that secure it ).

Douglas

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
It most certainly does not go onto what should be two studs over the compressor housing. That bit is cup shaped to conform to the general shape of the manifold and is made out of thin sheet( as in be careful with the torque applied to the nuts that secure it ).

Douglas
I'm not following you. He was asking about the bracket, not the shield. Are you saying the bracket isn't in the correct spot in my picture?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I disassembled my intake, egr, and turbo components and I'm reassembling now. I have this heat shield that I can't recall where it goes. Can someone please jog my memory? Thanks!

That bracket is for the bottom of the heat shield on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold to slot into.

It goes onto the two lower studs on the far passenger side of the exhaust manifold. Same nuts that secure the exhaust manifold will also secure this bracket.

Then the heatshield goes on, using the two studs that are part of the exhaust manifold on the passenger side to secure it, again with the bottom of the shield slotting into the bracket you had in your photos.