What's an ALH engine worth these days?

Steve777

Veteran Member
Well my pristine 02 jetta wagon with 118K on it got totaled. At least that's what the body shop said would likely happen, still waiting for word from the ins co. And I was thinking about whether I should buy the totaled car back from the ins co, grab a few things for my 00 golf and try to sell the rest.

Any thoughts on what these engines go for these days? This one is very clean, I replaced the head (had Frank06 rebuild it) back this spring, and is running perfectly. It is mated up to an auto tranny in the car at the moment.

Thanks

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Engine $

I sold one about 3 weeks ago out of a 99 Beetle with 136k miles. Complete engine with turbo,alternator,ps pump and A/C compressor for $1000. I'd guess price range anywhere from $800 to $1200.

Steve777

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input.

Well the ins co got back to me, and the repairs are right on the edge of the value of the car (5-6K range).

It is mostly cosmetic, needs a new door, new hood, fender, grill, and there is some body damage that would need to be pulled out on the front roof and around the driver's door. Damage around the door frame is potentially the worse, as if that wasn't done the door might whistle at highway speeds.

One option is to not total it, and just take the repair est as cash, then fix myself (or pay someone to). If I did that, it would not have a salvage title. Parting it out is another option. The buyback cost is ~900, so close to what the engine would go for. Other items are worth something, but not sure if they would sell fast enough to make it worthwhile, I don't want the car sitting in my drive for months as parts slowly dribble off.

Have to think about this some. If anyone has any thoughts/ideas let me know.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thanks for the input.

Well the ins co got back to me, and the repairs are right on the edge of the value of the car (5-6K range).

It is mostly cosmetic, needs a new door, new hood, fender, grill, and there is some body damage that would need to be pulled out on the front roof and around the driver's door. Damage around the door frame is potentially the worse, as if that wasn't done the door might whistle at highway speeds.

One option is to not total it, and just take the repair est as cash, then fix myself (or pay someone to). If I did that, it would not have a salvage title. Parting it out is another option. The buyback cost is ~900, so close to what the engine would go for. Other items are worth something, but not sure if they would sell fast enough to make it worthwhile, I don't want the car sitting in my drive for months as parts slowly dribble off.

Have to think about this some. If anyone has any thoughts/ideas let me know.
IF they offer you 5-6K, take the money and run.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
You could also inquire about if you take the money and you can still buy the car, it might only be worth hundreds and worth buying it back

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
True, then part it out and still buy another one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the car's clean and well cared for I'd take the repair estimate and fix it. Or total it out, buy it back, and fix it. If you plan to keep the car the salvage title doesn't really matter. It would if you want to sell at some point, however.

Although you could take the money and buy another, you know this car. A good MKIV wagon is going to cost at least 5K, and you'll be hard pressed to find one with less than 200K on it. Some pop up here occasionally but they're gone immediately if they're priced right. And those cars may need catch-up maintenance, so you may spend more than you would on repairing yours. Just my .02.

Tigger Welder

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I recently saw a good Auto out of a totaled car sell, the asking price was $1900.00 for just the trans, 01M.

It is also common to find cars in great shape needing an 01M to sell for $1000-1500. You could swap the trans into a cheap car, part yours and be mucho money ahead, for not a terrible job.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honestly, I'd never pay $1900 for any used trans, even an 01M unless it had billet everything. My 2 cents.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just as a data point, in the Seattle area someone's selling an ALH with 170k miles on it for $950. Seems that one could, if one wanted to, part out an engine and get a lot more! (of course, there's your labor and the hassle of selling individual parts)