What VW TDI work van did I see in Kansas?

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I went to the Kansas City National Cyclocrss race last week. I saw a VW work van, new looking, smaller than a Sprinter. I do not see it on the US VW web site. It had Delaware tags and it was pulling a small Airstream. It was just past the finish line on the left side of the pavement. I should have taken a picture. Anyone know what VW has that might have made it into the US? How did they get it into the states? As I said I think it was smaller than a Sprinter but all I seem to see are the big Sprinters. Maybe they make a small Sprinter. It also looks bigger than the Vanagon or the Chrysler Town and Country VW sells.

It looked like this I guess but it was work equiped, not pimped out to haul a bunch of people.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/6249/2008-volkswagen-multivan-sport-25-tdi-tiptronic-%E2%80%93-first-steer/

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The van you linked to is the T5 transporter (the T4 was sold here a few years, passenger version only, as the Eurovan...very similar).

The Transporter's big brother since the '70s was the LT, but that was replaced a few years ago by the Crafter, which is essentially a VW-branded Sprinter built by Mercedes Benz, but the Crafter does use a VAG engine. Neither the LT nor the Crafter has ever been imported here.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I got stuck with one for 2 weeks as a rental car. It would do 115mph, got 30mpg, and could haul 2 tons. That little 1.9tdi it had was awesome! I pondered bringing one over but the prices was pretty hefty, about $60,000 usd in 2007, but the euro was at 1.5usd during that time.

TDI
golftdi130pd
vw t5 transporter

yes its the t5 transporter 5 cylinder pd engine.brilliant van.u can get the 170bhp one as standed.build quality is awsome,but pricey.nice 6 speed manual gearbox too.they old there price as well.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
So is the one I saw an illegally imported vehicle? I do not see it listed on the VWA website. I do see some other webposts that state they have seen T5 with US state tags on them.

I want a diesel pickup but I don't need one that can tow 20,000 pounds which is what all the current big three are offering even if the vehicle is not rated for that.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Who knows if it's illegal or not. If you are a non-us citizen or a us citizen with orders, you can bring them temporarily for personal use.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, but they have state tags. I have seen cars with diplomat tags or foreign nation tags which seems fine. Never noticed if the cars with diplomat tags are special.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
roadhard1960 said:
Yes, but they have state tags. I have seen cars with diplomat tags or foreign nation tags which seems fine. Never noticed if the cars with diplomat tags are special.
If military personnel are transferred to the USA temporarily, they can bring over a non conforming car for personal use for a period of 2 years, up to 5 years IIRC. State tags are issued. The car cannot be sold however. It's perfectly legal.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
I'm still thinking Mahindra

roadhard1960 said:
I want a diesel pickup but I don't need one that can tow 20,000 pounds which is what all the current big three are offering even if the vehicle is not rated for that.
Roadhard1960:

I believe Mahindra, the Indian manufacturer, is still planning to start selling mid to small sized diesel pickups here in 2009. There is info about this in the General Automotive Forum or somewhere like that. Search for Mahindra for more info if you are interested.

Dan

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
OK. I can understand military folks bringing in their cool vehicles temporarily.

I thought I read GM was going to do a smaller diesel. Same for Ford. Not that I am in the market for any new vehicles. Kind of too bad as I heard of Ford diesels on the radio for $25k which is a lot better than the $40k stickers I was seeing at the last agriculture show that had trucks on display. Not so sure I want an Indian vehicle. Castings on the Indian John Deeres sure do look rough compared with the German, Japanese or US John Deeres. I guess it depends on what level of perfection you ask for. It just seems to me that if you are that sloppy with external castings, how good are things on the inside? It of course is good if some manufacturers are thinking about making smaller engined diesel work vehicles.

oilhammer

TDI
You noticed the crappy castings on the Indian Deeres too, eh? :p

Mahindra has been selling tractors here for a while. I would go look at those to get an idea of what quality you *might* see in their trucks, not that that is a direct comparison, but....

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, as long as it is not just me being a bit to an.al

I never studied any of the tractors at the huge southeast ag show in Moultrie. I guess there are plenty of second and third world tractors there. Maybe if I go next year. I look at the JD stuff and say dang, $100,000. Not that Cat is any cheaper. Of course I have no use for any of that big iron, I just find it amusing to look at. I dream of owning my own hay field and making square bales. That would be 10 more acres and a bunch of equipment. Not likely to happen.

oilhammer

TDI
My dad recently bought a JD4320. It has some pretty global bits to it, despite being an 'American' tractor. The bucket loader was made in Canada, but the castings on its side braces clearly say 'Made in China' :rolleyes:

It has a JD Powertech engine, but it has a Bosch alternator, Bosch starter, not sure whose DFI, and countless other global pieces here and there. Pretty much just like any modern automobile. The one step down model from his uses a Yanmar engine, then one step down from that is a totally Yanmar-built tractor.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI