What to do with my high mile PD?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've been active on this forum. I've been driving my mk7 Golf R around but recently my mother wanted to get rid of her 2006 Jetta that she bought brand new 16 years ago, so I gladly took it from her since I practically grew up in that car. Currently it has 509,000kms. I've done lots of fixes that she neglected/didn't know about. Subframe bushings for dogbone mount, front struts, rear shocks and springs, rear 'tie rods' with new bushings, front and rear sway bar bushings, new SMF clutch kit, rear main seal, oil pan reseal, and valve cover gasket. Soon it will need a cam for the second time and the timing belt components are coming due for the 5th time now, it was replaced around 2014 and when inspecting the cam doing my VCG, the lifters are dishing and a couple lobes are starting to look bad. The body is in excellent shape, VW approved about $10k worth of rust repair under warranty, about 2 months before it expired, and that was about four years ago. It got new rockers, trunk, hood, door skins and fenders. It's really in awesome shape and I want to keep it going. It's going so well and driving so nice that I'm considering just getting rid of my R. The thing is I love the awesome power the R has, and though the TDI has no where near the capability, I may be interested in a mild tune. However, this car has 500,000kms. Everything on this engine is original(minus the cam and lifters), and that includes the turbo. Should I stray away from tuning it?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I envy your ability in Canada and elsewhere to delete/tune your TDI's.

Sounds like you take excellent care of all your vehicles. Deciding between the 2 must be tough. I say keep both VW's. (y)

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I envy your ability in Canada and elsewhere to delete/tune your TDI's.

Sounds like you take excellent care of all your vehicles. Deciding between the 2 must be tough. I say keep both VW's. (y)
I do my best haha. The Jetta is my whole families pride and joy. A lot of family members will ask me how the car is doing, and love to offer a hand in doing a repair/maintenance job on it, because everybody knows that car and wants it to make it to a million miles.

I've had a couple friends and family members say to keep both but I just hate having one car sit around and do nothing. Gas is getting wicked expensive here, and it costs $80 to fill my Golf up nowadays, and I need to fill it every 5 days, while the Jetta can go almost 1.5 weeks without going to a station and its about $10 cheaper per fill.

And yes the amount of deleted diesel commercial semi trucks, pickup trucks, Audi/VW/Mercedes/BMW/Jeep diesel SUV's and cars is insane. But Albertans really value their dirty diesels haha.