What is the snow Screen?

buktruk

TDI
2001 Jetta
This might be a stupid question, but I just got my first Jetta TDI a 2001, and I haves seen a lot of mention about checking a snow screen, wondering where and what it is? Thanks

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Go to your air filter and follow the pipe toward the front drivers side headlight. The screen is suppossed to stop snow and small materials from getting to the air filter so it doesn't clog as easy. Takes 5 minutes to clean. I believe there is a how-to here somewhere. Search cleaning snow screen.

Easy-Dubs-It

TDI
05 Golf GLS
Just checked my 05 Golf GLS TDI for the snow screen and didn't have one... i had the tube but no screen inside...

is that b/c it's a PD?

~greg

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i could be wrong, but iirc no "snow screen" from 2004.5+ pd-tdi's... for "cold climates" the air filter should have some extra gauze glued to the bottom of the filter and a better seal

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
There is an interesting thread on the Phaeton forum at Vortex that contains quite a few pictures of the snow screens, and quite a bit of detail about them. Obviously, it's not TDI specific (the engines shown are the W12 and V8, both gasoline powered), but the snow screen information is generic.

Here is the link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2435648

Regards,

Michael - former Golf TDI owner who wishes he still had the 1.9 TDI - that 6.0 W12 is kind of expensive to feed... :)

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
burpod said:
i could be wrong, but iirc no "snow screen" from 2004.5+ pd-tdi's... for "cold climates" the air filter should have some extra gauze glued to the bottom of the filter and a better seal
My '05 PD-TDI has the snow screen and no gauze on the air filter. The original filter didn't have the gauze either.

Not to hijack the thread too far -
The left side of the screen frame slips right off, but the right side won't come loose. Any ideas how to get it out without breaking something?

There are all kinds of bugs, leaves, etc in my air cleaner box, on the far side of the snow screen. There are no holes in the screen and it's tight. How in the world is this crap getting in there?