What is the most you have put in your tank?

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
What is the most you have put in your tank? UPDATED-16.622 Gallons!

Up until today the most I ever put in was 14.2 gallons. Usually it was in the 13.8 gallons range.
However, today I completed my experamental fuel tank venting mod and I just put 15.8 gallons in!!!!
If everything ends up working out I will do a write up with pictures. Basically, I just ran a vent from the top of the fuel tank to the vent portion of the filler next. This type of mod is extremely popular on diesel trucks. I had done this on the 3500 ram I used to own.

Last edited:

FormerGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Holy smokes! Considering I'm only on my second tank, the most I've put in is 13.2 gallons (didn't try and top off as I'm not familiar with how much extra can be put in). That being said, I will try to get more in next time as the MDI said 40 miles to empty at that point.

pipes p

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi dsg
the most i put in was 56 litres. i think dead empty is 58 litres. if i could raise that than im in. will wait for pics. thx

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
14.86 gallons. But that's filling all the way up to the filler neck and having driven the car to the point that the last square on the fuel gauge went dark.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
14.28 - top of filler neck - had one small bar remaining. Usually fill up when 2 small bars are remaining.

Formergasser - i might do it really slow, but when the tank shuts off the first time I pull the nozzle part way out so I can see inside the filler and just pull the handle enough so that it is constant pour and I can always see the foam - once it gets too high I let off, let foam subside a bit and start again until I have clear diesel (no foam) about where bottom of cap would be when cap is screwed in position. Like pouring a good beer. :D

I don't go where the gauge is and what the pump says guessing how much the tank will take, if I did I would have diesel all over the place.

Last edited:

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
wow u guys are something else...

i usually fill up as soon as the light turns on, and at that point it's a simple 13.0 gallon fill up...

i heard running low was not good for the fuel system, right?

but i didn't know about the "to the top of the filler neck". I'm guessing that's where some of you guys can get close to 700 miles :p

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I put 14.125 gallons in one time. The distance to empty in the MFD read 0 for abot 3 miles before this fill. I am not in the habit of draining the tank that far. I usually fill at 1/4 tank.

I'll be interested to see the details of your mod.

DrftrTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI - 2 Hands 2 Feet (6MT) - Black on Black
15.608 is my highest. It was a 637.1 mile tank at about 40.8 MPG. I average 14.6 gals per fill though...to the neck.

Of course I track it all on Fuelly...

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
15.608 is my highest. It was a 637.1 mile tank at about 40.8 MPG. I average 14.6 gals per fill though...to the neck.

Of course I track it all on Fuelly...
Long time no see.

DrftrTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI - 2 Hands 2 Feet (6MT) - Black on Black
lol...yeah. Been pretty busy the last couple of months. I'm still around though, been poking in here and there.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
58 Liters! :)

it ran out of fuel. it was a 2010 Golf Tdi.
:eek::eek: Ouch ! Any problems starting after fillup ? Most I've put in was 50 lt. This was with 1/4 tank showing on the gauge and 60 kilometers remaining on tank. (55 lt tank=14.5 gallons). The fuel warning chime had just sounded.

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I'm not dead,

I've been checking and rechecking everything the last couple of days to ensure that it isn't leaking. Everything is good. No leaks found! I will start doing the post with pictures now. BTW, I always fill to the top w/ no foam left. When I put in the 14.2 gallons, the MFD, had 10 miles remaining and the fuel gauge showed 1 box left. The other times I've filled in the 13.8 range it has been when the cluster has chimed the low fuel light and only 2 boxes remained. What I have learned is that there is probably a good bit more fuel in the tank. I'm not a fan of pushing the envelope on running dry. All your info will ease my mind a bit on that. The next time I'm on 10-15 miles remaining I guess I could pull the pump at work and look in with my scope and see how much fuel is left.

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Here are some pics

This is the quickie version of what I did. Obviously if you choose to try it you are your warranty, don't blame me....

Upon looking at the tank I found that the filler neck has its own vent tube that attaches to the neck just under the reduction collar for the filler. If you follow it down to the tank it turns into a corrugated vent line going to the top side of the tank. The line attaches to the tank about 1 -1.5 inches below the top hump. This gives the fuel some expansion room. Diesel doesn't need the room for expanding vapor like gasoline so this area can be utilized.

Bottom line. I installed fittings in the neck and the top of the tank and ran a fuel line between the two. This allows the tank to fill entirely.

To ensure a total seal (because I'm paranoid) I used an epoxy structural adhesive that Audi uses to reinforce/repair gas tanks (it was used during a tank vent recall) The adhesive works in gas/oil environments so I have no worries. I prepped the areas with cleaner/prep spray that is used in the same recall. The epoxy is very runny at first so I built a dam of butyl rubber for the top of the tank. The Audi recall also uses the butyl rubber to contain the adhesive. It may look messy, but trust me, once cured it is part of the tank.

After all was said and done and it had cured long enough to fill ( >4 hrs. ) I went and filled the car. The MFD said 15 miles and when I was pulling into the station the gauge changed to on box remaining. This on my car will be around a 14 gallon fill. It quickly filled to 15.1 gallons and after foam settling and topping off came out to be 15.778 gallons. I know others have filled nearly as much, however, I am not new to diesels, VW diesels, or venting our tanks. This leads me to believe that my fuel gauge is a little overcautious as I always fill to the brim.

Like I mentioned before the next time I am almost empty I may open the tank to see how much I actually have left.

Anyway, here are some quick pics. If there is enough interest I may make a how to post, let me know.

Filler neck and vent pipe

Filler neck with fitting

Fuel tank with stock vent line going to a lower section

Top of tank with fitting installed

Adhesive

Cleaning solution

Filler with line and adhesive

Top of tank with line and adhesive

My vent line above the stock vent line

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
:eek::eek: Ouch ! Any problems starting after fillup ? Most I've put in was 50 lt. This was with 1/4 tank showing on the gauge and 60 kilometers remaining on tank. (55 lt tank=14.5 gallons). The fuel warning chime had just sounded.
No started after couple of starts. I guess it's not good to just crank, I learned later on that you should use vcds to prime the pumps instead of ignition on/ off method.

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Just put in 16.419 gallons! 720.1 miles. Los Alamos,NM to Warner,OK. VERY windy, only got 43 mpg. Gauge had one block left and MFD showed 10 miles to go. I am thinking that this mod nets about 1.5-2 gallons.

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
Cool! You should post this on the 700 mile club thread!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Just put in 16.419 gallons! 720.1 miles. Los Alamos,NM to Warner,OK. VERY windy, only got 43 mpg. Gauge had one block left and MFD showed 10 miles to go. I am thinking that this mod nets about 1.5-2 gallons.
When I have 1 block left on the fuel gauge, I can get about 14.3 - 14.5 gallons into the tank (up to the filler neck.) I would say the ventectomy modification allowing an extra 1.5 - 2 gallons is accurate.

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
what and where is this mod
Just a couple of posts up...;) #15

Because this car doesn't have a vent to 'ectomy I installed one from the top of the tank to the filler neck. So far it has worked flawlessly. Let me know if the pics I posted are not showing. They are working for me.

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Warner, Ok to Knoxville, TN. 731 Miles, 16.622 gallons.

This was as far as I am comfortable pushing it without opening the tank and actually seeing how much fuel is left.

mobhitmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6mt SE
Jerod521 -

Do you have VW Part Numbers for the adhesive and cleaner?

Did you just drill the tank and let the plastic filings fall into the tank?

What PN for the brass nipples and fuel hose?

I'm interested in this mod for my 2010 SportWagen as an extra 1.5 gallons will allow me to go for a full week without fueling up.

Thanks in advance!

biglipps66

TDI
2012 6spd premium
Ya im wondering what happened to the plastic shavings as well?

I just fill on slow and when it clicks I let it sit for a moment and put my finger over the small hole on the nozzle to avoid foam. Fills to the top every time with no problems, no venting needed!

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Sorry It's been so long. I used a shop vac when drilling and I did it by hand. It ended up being a really long curled piece of plastic. I was prepaired to open the tank and take out shavings but it wasn't neccesary. P/N for the cleaner is on the bottom of the can in the pic - D-009-401-04. I thought at the time I was taking a pic of the adhesive P/N, but the pic on the bag, is the P/N of the mixing straw used with the adhesive. P/N of the adhesive is Z3M-DP8-005. FYI, you will need an epoxy caulking gun for the adhesive. The caulking gun I used was special tool # VAS 5155 with plunger #VAS 5155/3. I am sure there are aftermarket caulking guns that will work. Check with any paint/body supply store as I am sure this is a fairly common tool for paint/body work. The expoxy may also be know as "Scotch-Weld 8005"

Last edited:

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Jerod521 -

What PN for the brass nipples and fuel hose?

I'm interested in this mod for my 2010 SportWagen as an extra 1.5 gallons will allow me to go for a full week without fueling up.

Thanks in advance!
The brass nipples I just got off the rack at Advance Auto.

I'm not sure it this applies to the JSW as I'm not sure the tanks are the same. Can anyone confirm?

Itsjustmetal

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
bringing this back to life, but what size fuel line and 90 degree brass fitting did you use? 1/4? 3/8? also what size drill bit? I have to get a new tank as mine started collapsing in, so I figured I would do this mod before I install the new tank.

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I honestly don't remember. I think 3/8". I used the smallest bit possible so the tapered threads got the most bite possible. But due to the sealant it's not as important.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
15.1 to the top. It's a PITA to do so never will waste 15mins at the pump trying again.