What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Okay, what the hell! Those side spoiler pieces actually look pretty good! :LOL: I think I might buy those!
I bought a set for my Mk7 - they really do finish off the back of the car nicely (seeing wagons without them now....they just look naked).

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I bought a set for my Mk7 - they really do finish off the back of the car nicely (seeing wagons without them now....they just look naked).
Im assuming its just double sided tape thats holding these on?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yep. The original "W3" tape on there lasted a couple years, then they started to move around some at the bottom. Scraped that off and put on some actual 3M tape and it's lasted four years now and continues to look factory.

I thought about painting them, but the black actually melds in nicely with the tinted rear glass. Thought I had a photo, but this is all I had (poor lighting doesn't really show them off that well).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son purchased an '11 JSW a year ago. Unfortunately at the end of last year he hit a deer (or rather, the deer hit him). The car suffered significant damage, including passenger seat and side airbay deployment.

Our guru was able to source a hood, bumper, seats, fender, and both doors in the same color from a single wreck. After struggling with multiple airbag codes and having the seatbelts rebuilt, the car is code-free and running again. And we just had it cleaned up pending return to my son, who's been driving his '02 Golf for the past couple months.

It took a long time to find this car. We're happy we were able to save it.

Last edited:

Tujeez

TDI
MK6 Golf
2012 CJAA 140k mi.
Last week I paid to replace my DPF and EGR filter. ($3k)
this weekend, I re-did my rear brakes ($260) because when I did them in a hurry 9 months ago, I didn’t clean the slider pin holes good enough and my caliper was dragging. OEM rotors and pads. The rotors and pads I had before were really dusty.
Also replaced coolant expansion tank ($15) and rotated wheels/tires ($0).

next on the list is front brakes, replace leaking injector plates and find oil leak on front/bottom of engine.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Finally got around to replacing front swaybar links and one outer tierod end on my ex's 2011 JSW. I can't get enough leverage to knock the driver's side tie rod end out, so I might need to put it on a friend's lift or have someone else do it. If I had the funds and it were my car, I would've just replaced both knuckles as well, because putting in new struts a few months ago was a f***ing b**tch! I've done it with a new knuckle on my 2013 a year ago, and SOOO much easier! Hopefully I'll get it back to her on Tuesday so she can start driving it. And for the potential comments about her being ex - she's my best friend, and I'm happy she's moving from a Nissan Rogue to the JSW.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
My son purchased an '11 JSW a year ago. Unfortunately at the end of last year he hit a deer (or rather, the deer hit him). The car suffered significant damage, including passenger seat and side airbay deployment.

Our guru was able to source a hood, bumper, seats, fender, and both doors in the same color from a single wreck. After struggling with multiple airbag codes and having the seatbelts rebuilt, the car is code-free and running again. And we just had it cleaned up pending return to my son, who's been driving his '02 Golf for the past couple months.

It took a long time to find this car. We're happy we were able to save it.
That must've been a helluva deer. I had one T-bone the driver's side of my 2010 JSW, and it caved in most of the door, but nowhere near as bad as your son's car. I much prefer deer accidents when driving the F-450. I had two deer T-bone me the same night, and believe me, my dogs were happy. 21 degrees outside, and my 11 year old stayed with that dead deer ALL night long.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think it was big: He said it was a buck that climbed an embankment to his right and jumped over the guardrail right into his car. Nothing he could do.

While it was here I had it lifted.

My son lives on a dirt road and works at a construction site, and he's in the snow belt of Massachusetts. The lift on his Golf has saved him many times over the years.

Hbtfurther

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Started a brake/rotor swap on my '14 Mk6. Had everything laid out and ready to go...

Fronts went on easy peezy.
Then I got to the rears.

Undid the rear caliper, smooth, no problem. Got to the upper 14mm triple square, it was a tight fit but managed to knock it loose. And then I ran into a problem. Specifically, a bent rear tie rod problem.

I need to get this replaced before I can access the lower 14mm triple square bolt.
Although the tie rod is less than $30 and seemingly only has 2 bolts, how hard or easy will this be to replace? I'm concerned that while it looks super easy, it also is attached to the lower control arm and I haven't done that before.

I've searched all over for a how-to video on rear tie rod replacement but haven't come up with any info. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Henry
***Edit: some folks call this a rear tie rod. Others call it a rear toe arm. VW part number 1K0501529H or 1K0501529J-Arm. Rod. Lateral. (Rear,Upper).

***Follow up.
April 9 2024

Rear lateral arm/ tie rod replacements were super easy. (Quotes from 2 shops were $300-400 for one side and $700 for both.) I did both sides for under a $100 including 2 rear tie rods and the triple square bit kit. You will need 18mm socket and wrench plus 21mm socket and wrench. The upper sway bar mount needs to removed as well. Sway bar bolts were 10nvm Triplesquare. 20nm to retighten.

***Big Note for rear brake calipers-Rear slider pins for 2014 jsw mk6 (5K0698470A). The pin with the rubber bushing goes on top/highest position of the caliper. Confirmed with ID parts...They are awesome, shipped on time and answered my questions.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Try running the steering lock to lock- worked for me
I might have to try that in the future. For now, I'm just going to get it aligned and get it back to her, so she can try to offload her Rogue.