What did you do to your MKIV today?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
"Just found out it's a 2003! So yes, ALH with 11mm pump... " Mozambiquer

I feel there's an auto>manual tranny swap in your future,,,,,,,
No, since the car isn't going to be one I fix up. I got it for parts, then I'm going to sell it. It has no interior anymore and didn't come with a title, but it looks to be a pretty much rust free indigo blue sedan.

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to the Pick-n-Pull today and found another set of blue leather big bolstered seats in a 2003 New Beetle turbo.

I’ll clean these up and see how they look, in my wagon. They’re in better condition than the other set. No rips in the leather but the seat cushion is collapsed on the driver’s side. I might swap the lower half with the better half from the other set, if anything, just swap the seat cushion.
I am jealous!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Replaced all 3 wiper blades.

2 of the blades (the rubber wiper parts) had ripped a bit .

I may try researching silicone versions for hopefully longer life / better performance ....

I went with upper middle price range rain ex units from advance auto.

Ended up paying about $75 for all 3 .... i was surprised to see 3 Michelin brand blades at Costco that would have run me about $26 total !!

Well I guess at least i had good luck with the orange Rain-X wiper fluid.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Check RockAuto next time. They sell many different brands for good prices even with shipping. I've been buying Bosch blades there.
Hi

Great idea thanks for that ...
I'll try to be a little more proactive next time and not wait until I see a ripped blade before getting a set.
Thanks

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Those auto part stores really soak ya' for that kind of stuff. Don't know if you have "Ollie's" discount stores your neck of the woods, the one near me occassionally has name brand wipers cheap, getting the right length is the issue.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Check RockAuto next time. They sell many different brands for good prices even with shipping. I've been buying Bosch blades there.
I've had one set of Bosch Icons for the car and truck the last 5 or so years. I just replace the silicone rubber inserts for $5 when it's time

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I've had one set of Bosch Icons for the car and truck the last 5 or so years. I just replace the silicone rubber inserts for $5 when it's time
Happen to know where one can buy new Bosch Icon inserts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Happen to know where one can buy new Bosch Icon inserts?
I didn't know ICONs had replaceable inserts. I don't use ICONs, as I've never thought they were flexible enough to cover the windshield on MKIVs, especially in cold weather.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Lliving in Michigan I've had the same set of Icons installed for
I didn't know ICONs had replaceable inserts. I don't use ICONs, as I've never thought they were flexible enough to cover the windshield on MKIVs, especially in cold weather.
Living in Michigan I've had the same set of Icons installed for about 6 years and they still wipe well.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Lliving in Michigan I've had the same set of Icons installed for

Living in Michigan I've had the same set of Icons installed for about 6 years and they still wipe well.
Wow 6 years!

I don't think my wiper blades make it much past a year and a half or so ... (maybe not even that long) ....I don't think I've actually kept records on how long my wipers last but I know it's nowhere near six years .. I'll research into those.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I still have the OE blades on my Wagon and install new inserts every 6-9 months. I like the curve of the OE passenger side blade. Sadly, Bosch no longer makes the inserts that include the metal strips and I have to re-use them. That may not last forever.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Been going through the garage and came across another desirable part in an undesirable color.

Anyone looking for a tan (sorry) cup holder center console (CHEAP)? local pick-up near Atlanta preferred.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Filled it up for the second time since buying it—so, the first time I got to calculate fuel economy.

I got 44.01 mpg without trying to drive it gently. A decent highway trip, short little spins around town (testing the “new” car), and commuting to work (some city, some highway, some 2-lane roads).

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I checked my new one out a little bit. 310k miles, has record of the last timing belt at 240k it's pretty crazy, i think it's the highest mile alh automatic I've personally seen. I tried to start it, but it wouldn't stay running. Seemed like maybe relay 109 or ignition switch issues, as the glow plug and check engine lights weren't coming on either.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
You got it Rex! Lol, I guess I get some more cupholders, the in dash pair are still working, but it'd be nice to relegate the phone there, and have something for a decent travel mug lower.
Cheers!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I checked my new one out a little bit. 310k miles, has record of the last timing belt at 240k it's pretty crazy, i think it's the highest mile alh automatic I've personally seen. I tried to start it, but it wouldn't stay running. Seemed like maybe relay 109 or ignition switch issues, as the glow plug and check engine lights weren't coming on either.
Sure it's the original 01M? My car's got at 432,800 miles, but I'm on my 3rd 01M...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Sure it's the original 01M? My car's got at 432,800 miles, but I'm on my 3rd 01M...
I'm not sure. I was looking a bit more at it today, the ECM doesn't wake up. I'll probably try to set it up so I can start it. The interior has been gutted, and all, but the engine seems to be decent. It sounds like it has good compression, and pops off, but dies immediately.