What did you do to your MK7 today?

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
IIRC, Ed's lights come with either Morimoto or HyLux. The Morimoto has more connectors than HyLux.
That space for the bulbs is pretty tight.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Hello. 2015 TDI Sportwagon. I believe I have Ed’s w/ Hylux bulbs.

Can I get pass side low beam out of housing without removing housing from car ?

Would like to get it out to verify exactly what bulbs I have.

Thank You. Dave

If you have tiny hands maybe. Honestly, I think no. Pulled mine in and out enough that I can pull the headlight assembly out in under 15 minutes he not less lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
IIRC, Ed's lights come with either Morimoto or HyLux. The Morimoto has more connectors than HyLux.

That space for the bulbs is pretty tight.

I don’t have the hylux set up that Ed sells, i went through another seller with TRS and I have Hylux ballasts now. Ironically it uses a Morimoto bulb, but hylux ballasts. No issues at all since I swapped out the Morimoto ballast, igniter and canbus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think he's also limiting the HID kits he's offering now, not sure due to a QC issue or just simplicity.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Prof, post # 1698.
I had the body shop replace original lights when front end got hammered by a truck tire. So I have no idea on install / removal . Are you doing this without removing bumper cover ?
Dave

Just got Light housing out of car with help of U Tube video.
How do I know if Ballast or Bulb issue ?

Ed emailed me back. Had me switch bad side Can Bus to good side. Low beam went out.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Prof, post # 1698.
I had the body shop replace original lights when front end got hammered by a truck tire. So I have no idea on install / removal . Are you doing this without removing bumper cover ?
No I do not remove the whole bumper cover. On Ed's site there are videos to walk you through how to take them out and put them back in. I take off the front wheel well outer cover essentially and then pop off the bar on top of the headlight, then the headlight assembly. (Ps. Please quote me next time if you need me to respond. I got lucky with this one in seeing it, but for whatever reason, the app I use to get on this forum doesn't work correctly with this massive thread).

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Woke up, reparked the tiddy wagon to get her in the driveway instead of the dirt and out of the wind. Then I changed the intake air filter, cabin air filter, and fuel filter. Now sitting at the dealer in the waiting room getting my 80k oil change. After I get back from my trip to New Mexico I will be doing my first personal DSG fluid/filter change. Do not worry, I got the car at 56k and the dealer had just done the DSG, so I am good on mileage, after I get back from New Mexico.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Today I flushed the brake and clutch fluid. My first time doing the clutch. Pretty easy after reading...

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482344

The fluid coming out of the clutch looked milky with 40,000 miles on it. The Golf only has 40,000 miles. The old fluid that flushed out of the brakes looked new. The brakes were flushed 30,000 miles ago.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Ed took good care of me with Light issue. T/Y to all.
Today, took advantage of ID Parts Black Friday Sale. ?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah it seems to be pretty sparse. Honestly New Mexico is not necessarily my kinda state. I don’t mine the cold, but there aren’t maybe people. Think Arizona would be a better fit for me, or Utah. Cold and people and beautiful area. I like the part of Cali I am in, can be at the beach, desert, or snow within 2 hours. Just stupid expensive. If I can afford to stay I will ok account of my family, and my girls family being here. Looking to tie the knot here in the bedroom few years, and kids will happen eventually and them not being near their grandparents/our parents just doesn’t do right for them if we can afford to stay.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Not technically on my Mk7 TDI, but it's a MQB, so close enough, right? :)

Opened the hood on my wife's A3 to top up the windshield fluid and found a new housing development. :(
Any thoughts on who the contractor might be?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Pre-cabin air filter filter, and Audi chirp alarm for lock/unlock/alarm, don't have to hear the horn anymore [emoji51]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Pre-cabin air filter filter, and Audi chirp alarm for lock/unlock/alarm, don't have to hear the horn anymore [emoji51]

I was pondering adding a chirp alarm. How does someone install one and have a horn still functioning?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
That with with the grate in it is the existing pre-cabin "filter" but the new one is a replacement housing. It holds an actual filter that is replaceable, only one bolt holding it in, and a couple guide posts... Purchased a long time ago but I think the housing with 2 filters was something like $60 from AliExpress.

The chirp alarm mounts beneath the rain tray, towards the center of the car, to the left of that filter. It does not replace the horn. Figured I do them both while I had the rain tray removed. It is separately powered from the battery (via new pin and 10A fuse at engine fuse box) and has a dedicated wire/pin at the BCM (even the low-line BCM fitted in my TDI S) under the dash. Then it's coding with vcds or obdeleven to set lock/unlock/alarm to use the siren instead. They are all separate adaptations so it may be possible to have a combination of horn/chirp, or both. Wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it but I didn't. I coded those three functions but the horn still works as normal.

I followed the "how to retrofit chirp alarm" diy thread from the vortex. The OP has a Dropbox link to a PDF they put together with all the info and pictures, quite thorough.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd love to do something like this, but wired / coded as a friendly "hey - I'm here" toot, instead of the always "hey - ****-ff!" sound that a horn makes. I saw someone (Mark Rober, on YouTube maybe) wire up a separate button near the shifter, but if there was a way to add an integrated button on the MFSW (like, recoding the "voice command" button)...that'd be awesome.

Edit:
Found it. :)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8wqnk_TsA

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
That is pretty cool. I would want something more integrated as well I think. Would need to pull a signal from the CAN bus to integrate with the MFSW. Maybe an Arduino sniffer tied into the lines at the MFSW module. The arduino would let you do whatever you wanted with the intercepted command. Could probably get the car to "ignore" the voice command button by setting it to not installed in the infotainment long coding (I think that's where it is). Could get involved pretty quickly but would be sweet.

Every time I see you posting on this forum money finds its way out of my pockets, haha.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
That with with the grate in it is the existing pre-cabin "filter" but the new one is a replacement housing. It holds an actual filter that is replaceable, only one bolt holding it in, and a couple guide posts... Purchased a long time ago but I think the housing with 2 filters was something like $60 from AliExpress.

The chirp alarm mounts beneath the rain tray, towards the center of the car, to the left of that filter. It does not replace the horn. Figured I do them both while I had the rain tray removed. It is separately powered from the battery (via new pin and 10A fuse at engine fuse box) and has a dedicated wire/pin at the BCM (even the low-line BCM fitted in my TDI S) under the dash. Then it's coding with vcds or obdeleven to set lock/unlock/alarm to use the siren instead. They are all separate adaptations so it may be possible to have a combination of horn/chirp, or both. Wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it but I didn't. I coded those three functions but the horn still works as normal.

I followed the "how to retrofit chirp alarm" diy thread from the vortex. The OP has a Dropbox link to a PDF they put together with all the info and pictures, quite thorough.

Ive always been leary of Alixpress. Never used it but leary anyway. I like the prefilter tho.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every time I see you posting on this forum money finds its way out of my pockets, haha.
May I point you to the Adaptive Cruise retrofit found in my signature? :D

As for Aliexpress, I've had maybe two negative experience (never received items) without a refund - both were well under $10. Sometimes shipping takes a lonnnng time, but quality of products in most cases has been very good. And sometimes (folding mirrors for the Mk7, for example), I receive the goods in less than a week - which is better than anything I have shipped from the US to Canada.

Prices are often as much as 90% less than MSRP (like the $10 logo'd door puddle lights). Audi dealership (for my wife's 2016 A3) was promoting them for "$259 installed!" - $10 and two-minute installation.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I like the logo puddle lights, still have mine from AliExpress in a box somewhere, along with new speakers, sound deadening and the door stops (from the last gen Jetta maybe, with 3 detents) that I need to install, I don't want to go in the door more than I have to. Waiting until I have time to knock it all out at once. I've been running AliExpress power folding mirrors for over a year. My driver's side occasionally does a half fold [emoji848] but when I set the switch to unfold it will finish folding all the way in before folding out. It only does this when the car is not running (ie when fold on door lock is set). In order from most to least likely I don't know if the problem is the mirror, door module or switch. Possibly could have tried for a replacement mirror if I didn't let them sit in a box for six months before installing them. Never had trouble with anything else from AliExpress, also never failed to receive an item. Of course now that I've said that the next thing I order will not show up.

I've spent too much time in your ACC retrofit thread considering that my car has none of the equipment required. I have an S, didn't want a sunroof. In hindsight with all of these retrofits I may have gone with an SEL anyway. It rarely rains in Los Angeles and I have a garage... oh well. I do have the highline gateway already installed and I just got this high line BCM [emoji16] which should be installed in the next couple of weeks. This will finally let me finish my heated seat install, make use of the dual rear fogs in my Mk7.5 LED tails, install footwell and ambient lighting (o_o_ravi style in the doors, which looks better than OEM I think), and will support front fogs if I ever want them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Explain to me what the purpose of dual rear fogs are? is it foggy much in LA these days? or should I say "smokey". I know it was a feature on some audi's

To me it seems like the brakes are depressed and we all know what happened with audi and unintended acceleration.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Explain to me what the purpose of dual rear fogs are? is it foggy much in LA these days? or should I say "smokey". I know it was a feature on some audi's
To me it seems like the brakes are depressed and we all know what happened with audi and unintended acceleration.
No purpose really. I just bought lights that have them so I want them to work. I can only hope to not live in Los Angeles for the rest of my days so one day I may live in a place where they are useful. Same for front fogs which I expect I will not have the willpower to resist installing now that my BCM is capable.

The rear fog on the Mk7.5 LED tails is a small single light and would be difficult to confuse for brake lights. I don't know how this compares to the standard Mk7 or Mk7.5 rear fog function. In my E36 (years ago) I never ran the rear fogs because it looked exactly like the brake lights to my eyes, just slightly dimmer. Not my video but the rear fog is shown about 20 seconds in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xraUDpjPcuk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - the rear fog tends to be a more sharp/focuses bright red light than the "big red" brake light; I can't imagine anyone confusing them - you'd just think that the person in front of you has bright taillights if you didn't know any better.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Did the DSG oil change, first one was made by the dealer before I bought the car.

I wanted to be able to do it myself, so I can do it once a year.

Bought the tool for bottom fill, the fill hole was waaaaay to small. Took 1h for 1liter (-9c outside)
Decided to use the top fill method, from the filter hole.
Took 20min per liter. Did the engine oil change meanwhile.

Started the car on jack stand, waited for it to reach 35c like specified.

Removed drain plug, waited for excess to flush. That part was shady, laying under a running car...

From there everything went smoothly, I used the opportunity to remove all the plastic protector pan for the next step on the next day....

I want to keep this car for many year, and I don't want it "repaired" when rust WILL appear.

Everything rust on salty Quebec road.

https://youtu.be/ElsrN0NnBgc

Oil for inner panel, grease for exposed area.

Reinstalled the plastic pan today, she good to go!

Last edited: