What are typical symptoms of EGR plugging intake ?

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
The title is the subject .
I would guess there maybe multiple symptoms ?
I have read & watched videos about the subject , one in particular was different than most all - where they use all kinds of hand tools to remove buildup .
The different video was great - simple is best / easiest - the person doing the removal use a MAP gas torch to get the buildup heated , then after a few moments used a long [ about one foot ] air gun to act like a turbo , this self ignites the carbon / oil , flames come out & chunks and after maybe 10-15 min. the hole manifold is cleaned out , this is not only easier than the manual method , but gets to all of the areas of the inside of the intake manifold - unlike trying with screwdrivers & picks .

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Symptoms are your power goes away to the point the car will barely get out of its own way. Other things can also cause low power but pulling the egr can confirm a plugged intake and egr.

I have cleaned multiple intakes with the torch method, it works great. However you do want to remove the egr and clean that by hand with some carb cleaner. The egr has a diaphragm inside the little hat and if you leave that attached to the intake while you’re torching it you’ll ruin the egr valve.

Same for a BEW intake, remove the egr and those plastic actuators and split the intake apart, there are two halves on a BEW, which you’ll need a new gasket for when you put it back together.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a slow process, and the power loss is very gradual. Back before ULSD it was a routine thing, not so much anymore. They'd come in with a pencil sized opening, amazing they ran at all. I used to just have them hot tanked, and would have several clean ones ready to swap out. I only keep one manifold on the shelf now, and it is pretty dusty. I think the last one I did was a couple years ago on a freak low mile ALH that came in here that was still carrying around its pre-ULSD gunk in its intake, as it only had 62k miles on it.

All you need to do is take the charge air hose loose from the EGR inlet at the manifold and peak in there. If it looks built up, then go ahead and pull the EGR valve off for a better look. ULSD has DRASTICALLY improved this issue. So much so I don't even bother to look anymore unless there is reason to. I have customers cars that I did intake cleanings on every 60-80k miles before ULSD, and now afterwards the manifolds have never been off again, 200k+ miles later, and the engines still run great. Heck, we see more Priuses now with their teeny tiny little EGR coolers clogged up.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
Another thing to add to the to-do-list , got the car less than 2 weeks ago and taking care of a few issues , thanks .

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Typical symptoms which can cause EGR plugging intake is a cracked egr cooler.
When EGR coolers fail, they tend to leak. (Internally) Which means coolant is leaking into the egr lines all the way to the intake manifold.

When unburned soot and coolant mix, it tends to get wet and sticky. Making moving parts such as the EGR valve on the intake will stick, and not seat right due to the residue build up around the valve opening.

Cleaning it is only band aiding the issue, you would need to address the more serious issue (replacing EGR cooler)
- If the car is loosing amounts of coolant, and you have to refill the coolant res. every week or 2.
- You spotted no coolant leaks underneath the car.
- Check engine light and cel codes show EGR related failures.

-- Common preventative maintenance practices --
- Oil passing through the charge pipes.
This tends to happen in diesel vehicles. Charge pipes will get oily inside and oil will rest in the intercooler.
Consider disconnecting charge pipes, cleaning them, and draining oil out of intercooler as quarterly, half a year, or yearly maintenance depending on your daily commute miles.

When oil rests at the lowest point (bottom of intercooler). It will eventually pass up into the intake and mix with the unburned soot expelling out of the egr, which often tends to stick and build up around the valve, throttle body, intake manifold, and intake manifold runners (if your car has manifold runners)

Many people don't realize diesel vehicles are higher maintenance compared to gas. Diesel does have its benefits, but can have costly drawbacks as well.