Water Pump replace w/out removing engine mount

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI, Jetta 2009 TDI
Jetta ALH

Is is possible to replace the water pump without removing the engine mount.

I did a timing belt with a 200,000 mile kit with water pump and the pump just started leaking after 25,000 mile. I am hoping to replace just the pump and reuse the old belt.

I have the tools and did the belt twice, myself, so I know the routine of doing it correctly.

I just don't want to go through the hassle of removing the engine mount and new bolts.

George

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI, Jetta 2009 TDI
I don't know the brand of the pump. But I requested a metal impeller one against the advice from the supplier. I didn't want another plastic impeller, because the factory one's impeller disconnected from the steel shaft.

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, (2) 02 Jetta, 03 Jetta, 15 Jetta
I have done quite a few TB, and always used metal impellers. The last one I got was a Gaba from FCP.

Good luck with the repair, and let us know how you make out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I'm going to assume that you meant 100k mile kit, not 200k mile kit?

When I use to work on vehicles I would remove the absolute minimum amount of items needed to get the job done. With that philosophy I would then be locked into contorting myself into all kinds of pretzel positions, dropping tools and fasteners in hard to reach places and just wasting a lot of time trying to save the 15 minutes of removing a motor mount or something else.

I just did the ac pulley on my BEW. To get to it I took the alternator off, let the power steering pump and ac compressor hang and removed the mounting bracket that holds all three. Much easier than trying to squeeze my hands and arms into unnatural positions.

Sometimes it's actually easier to go ahead and remove stuff because it saves time in the long run.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Was the metal impeller cast?